Software Graphics stutter when MFDs update

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I have a Sempron 2400+, 3/4GB ram, ATI AIW Radeon 7500.

My graphics seem to stutter once a second. Very noticable when rotating. The graphics are smooth, but then pause, and jump forward once a second. It's like nothing gets drawn for a fraction of a second when the MFDs get updated. I've adjusted the MFD update frequency and the stutter follows. It only happens in the glass cockpit or the 2D panel, not in the Virtual Cockpit. So it seems like it has to do with a 2D overlay since the MFDs in the VC are just another (though dynamic) 3D texture, right? And it seems to be more pronounced when I have more visual effects turned on... presumably because that results in a lower framerate. If I turn off the MFDs using the MFD PWR button, the problem goes away.

Any suggestions?

Robb

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a Sempron 2400+, 3/4GB ram, ATI AIW Radeon 7500.

My graphics seem to stutter once a second. Very noticable when rotating. The graphics are smooth, but then pause, and jump forward once a second. It's like nothing gets drawn for a fraction of a second when the MFDs get updated. I've adjusted the MFD update frequency and the stutter follows. It only happens in the glass cockpit or the 2D panel, not in the Virtual Cockpit. So it seems like it has to do with a 2D overlay since the MFDs in the VC are just another (though dynamic) 3D texture, right? And it seems to be more pronounced when I have more visual effects turned on... presumably because that results in a lower framerate. If I turn off the MFDs using the MFD PWR button, the problem goes away.

Any suggestions?

Robb
Are you using Vista? If so, make sure you're using VistaBoost.

Is it all MFDs or just specific ones?

Robb Bates

Reaction score
XP Pro.

And it happens with any MFD whenever the MFD gets updated. The Orbit updates 1/sec by default. The Surface updates a bit more frequently. Some others don't update at all. But whenever it does get updated, that's when the stutter happens.

Robb

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you downloaded the newest drivers for the graphics card? That is an old graphics card, and I'd definitely recommend upgrading.

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I have the latest drivers. Yes, it's an older card, but it's one I have as opposed to one I don't. I will eventually upgrade, but I'm going to focus on the hardware interface at the moment.

Do you think the rest of my system is adequate? I'm not looking for a 250 fps system, just something that will do the job relatively well.

Do you think upgrading my graphics card will significantly increase my frame rate? My benchmark for testing different configs is undocking from ISS in the default DG and rolling. With 1280x1024x32 vert sync disabled and all the visual features turned on I get about 40 fps. Less on the screen, fewer visual features, lower resolution and I get more. How much impact does the graphics card have on frame rate?

Robb

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Since changing resolutions impacts your performance this significantly, your graphics card seems to be of great importance.
Try enabling vsync and see if it is still so noticable.
Also try windowed mode and see if the problem persists, if so, it is probably a driver issue.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello, :hello:

I don't want to resurrect an old thread but I'm experiencing very similar problems. I get an honest 40-70 FPS depending of the scenario, but MFDs that "refresh" kill the framerate. Even worse, it causes "mini-freezes" in the simulation, so the FPS display isn't reliable. SurfaceMFD is the worst at this, it's impossible to fly with the thing on.

The effect is cumulative : 1 MFD on make the framerate drop, 2 MFDs make it even worse. I've tried the usual graphic options like Vsynch on/off, Stencil buffer on/off, Full Screen vs Windowed mode, External MFDs... No joy, the settings might affect the global framerate but the MFD problem remains the same.

Other than that, Orbiter runs well on that system - though disabling the local light sources is a good idea -.

I'm currently running O2010P1 (inline DX7 client) on a Compaq Presario 6000, under WinXP SP3.

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53 Mhz
GPU : GeForce4 Ti 4200 (LeadTek)
RAM : 667 MB

If you have any suggestion, thanks :tiphat:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello, :hello:

I don't want to resurrect an old thread but I'm experiencing very similar problems. I get an honest 40-70 FPS depending of the scenario, but MFDs that "refresh" kill the framerate. Even worse, it causes "mini-freezes" in the simulation, so the FPS display isn't reliable. SurfaceMFD is the worst at this, it's impossible to fly with the thing on.

The effect is cumulative : 1 MFD on make the framerate drop, 2 MFDs make it even worse. I've tried the usual graphic options like Vsynch on/off, Stencil buffer on/off, Full Screen vs Windowed mode, External MFDs... No joy, the settings might affect the global framerate but the MFD problem remains the same.

Other than that, Orbiter runs well on that system - though disabling the local light sources is a good idea -.

I'm currently running O2010P1 (inline DX7 client) on a Compaq Presario 6000, under WinXP SP3.

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53 Mhz
GPU : GeForce4 Ti 4200 (LeadTek)
RAM : 667 MB

If you have any suggestion, thanks :tiphat:
If you turn off ClearType, does that fix the problem?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you turn off ClearType, does that fix the problem?

If you mean in "Desktop->Properties->Appareance->Effects", no. Is there any other menu where there would be an option related to this ?