Greetings from Chicago

mith_maker

Reaction score
Greetings All!

I am new to Orbiter and have not even fired it up yet. Very excited to find it. My name is Don, I am an educator and a fiction writer. In addition to purely having fun with it, I am hoping to use Orbiter to make my science fiction writing more realistic, especially with regard to travel times between point A and B. I'm a firm believer that we need more science fiction with a realistic foundation to inspire the next generation and promote space exploration.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome! It's always great to see new members.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Welcome!

Kudos to you for wanting to use Orbiter for reference like that -- one of the big reasons why I enjoyed reading David Weber's works (the Honor Harrington series) is that most (practically all?) of his shipboard action was based on actual physics.

It took actual time to accelerate, cruise, turnover, and reverse-accelerate to get anywhere. And every maneuvering officer on every ship knew this fact. :)

Needless to say, it went a long way to provide that 'immersion' in any prose that I crave.

Staiduk

Reaction score
Hello Don; welcome to OF!
If you're looking for good info on S-F realism, you might want to look at Atomic Rockets. It's an excellent and quite entertaining source. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Greetings All!

I am new to Orbiter and have not even fired it up yet. Very excited to find it. My name is Don, I am an educator and a fiction writer. In addition to purely having fun with it, I am hoping to use Orbiter to make my science fiction writing more realistic, especially with regard to travel times between point A and B. I'm a firm believer that we need more science fiction with a realistic foundation to inspire the next generation and promote space exploration.

Agreed !! And welcome.:thumbup:

Oscar Wylder

Reaction score
Welcome bud! . Enjoy the forum . I'm new here myself - second time around Orbiter pilot.

This time to stay.

Free cookies an' milk if you can dock :)

Dave.