OHM Hall Base on Phobos

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: dgatsoulis

This is a base on Phobos named after Asaph Hall the discoverer of the Martian moons.

The usual problem with landings on Phobos is that the spacecrafts either disappear or hang above the mesh of Phobos' surface. 
Hall Base provides you with a nice flat area to land your ships on. 
The base has 3 landing pads and three payload areas to facilitate your needs. Payload area 2 can be used as a 4th landing pad for large ships. (e.g. Arrow Freighter). 

Please read the Add-on docs\HallBaseReadme.txt for installation instructions.

DISCLAIMER: 
Eventhough it is highly unlikely that you will suffer a catastrophic failure from the use of this addon, I am not responsible for any crashes or other problems caused by it. Use at your own risk.

CREDITS/THANKS: 
Many thanks to David "blixel" for starting the thread in O-F that lead to the creation of this base.
Dr. Martin Schweiger for Orbiter.

DOWNLOAD

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is an amazing add-on base. Very attractive, and very high quality. OrbitHangar needs to have a section that is dedicated to top quality add-ons so that add-ons like this one don't get lost and buried among all the useless clutter.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is an amazing add-on base. Very attractive, and very high quality. OrbitHangar needs to have a section that is dedicated to top quality add-ons so that add-ons like this one don't get lost and buried among all the useless clutter.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of sorting addons compatible with various orbiter versions to avoid confusion/frustration. Looks very nice though. Can you provide a lat/lon and a description of where it is on the Phobos surface?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of sorting addons compatible with various orbiter versions to avoid confusion/frustration. Looks very nice though.

Thanks.
The search on OH provides a "For Orbiter version" selection. It's up to the devs themselves to update their addons.

Can you provide a lat/lon and a description of where it is on the Phobos surface?

The base is at +160.00 long +31.20 lat. The area was chosen because it is a place that Phobos' mesh intersects with the invisible sphere of the "actual" surface.

Last edited:

Screamer7

Reaction score
Congratulations with an excellent add on for Orbiter Dimitris.
I always want to "land on Phobos, but is putting of with the fact that the vessel always sank into the mesh
LOLA mfd does not list the Hall Base on Phobos in the mfd window.
Is there any reason why?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations with an excellent add on for Orbiter Dimitris.
I always want to "land on Phobos, but is putting of with the fact that the vessel always sank into the mesh
LOLA mfd does not list the Hall Base on Phobos in the mfd window.
Is there any reason why?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Theoretically, there is no reason why it shouldn't show up on the list of LOLA MFD, but keep in mind that Phobos is a collection of very light gravel and ice, placed deep within the gravitational well of Mars.

Mars is the dominant body here, and even 0.5 meters above the Phobos' "surface", you are still much more "in Orbit" around Mars, than you are to Phobos.

LOLA MFD shows you the options you have, relative to the dominant body, that's why it doesn't show up in the window.

Hope this helps
:cheers:

Last edited:

Screamer7

Reaction score
What about some anchoring devices on the pads?
The lighter DG, XR1 and XR2 Ravenstar drifting to much around.
It may be hazardous for other vessels you know......:)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.
The search on OH provides a "For Orbiter version" selection. It's up to the devs themselves to update their addons.

The base is at +160.00 long +31.20 lat. The area was chosen because it is a place that Phobos' mesh intersects with the invisible sphere of the "actual" surface.

I was thinking cordoning the site off into separate sections for different orbiter versions. At the very least making the Orbiter version hyperlinked would help to make it stand out. I didnt notice it on OHM for several months

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
Cool add-on, but for some reason the textures aren't showing.

The base is there, with the mesh and all. But no texturing. Just a plain white base.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool add-on, but for some reason the textures aren't showing.

The base is there, with the mesh and all. But no texturing. Just a plain white base.

Check the readme. I would suspect the installation needs the textures it uses placed under base.cfg so that itll know to read them. If it does the readme will probably explain which ones to add :tiphat:.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
D'oh... Yeah I usually read the read-me. But for some reason ignored it this time. Thanks :blush:

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
I did a phobos hi res texture update and now the base it located inside phobos..Without thinking about backing up phobos confg.:facepalm:.Is there a way to raise the base back to the surface of phobos..I,ll submit a photo..

Attachments

• phobos texture update.JPG
    phobos texture update.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 12
  • hallbase inside phobos.JPG
    hallbase inside phobos.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Code:
...or jst at the bottom before end

Between the BEGIN_TEXTURE END_TEXTURE lines

T1234

Reaction score
I am getting the plain white issue aswell,in the config I cannot see any bigin and end texture lines and have read the readme.It looks good in David's vid.:thumbup:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Please post the contents of your base.cfg file between
Code:
 tags.

T1234

Reaction score
I have got it now,it's the config file 'base', not the file in Phobos folder:blush:.It looks different than David's vid,but still looks good.:thumbup:

HazMatt

Reaction score
I installed and Hall Base looks great, but it is located inside the Phobos mesh. I'm running Orbiter 2010 P1.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I installed and Hall Base looks great, but it is located inside the Phobos mesh. I'm running Orbiter 2010 P1.

Are you using a different mesh for Phobos than the standard/default mesh? If so, that is my guess as to why the base appears inside your mesh. If not, then someone else will have to offer a possible reason.