Halo

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Wait a second!

Hang on, why doesn't anyone ask bungie to make Halo Vehicles on Orbiter? Someone made Halo vehicles for FSX and X-plane, Why not Orbiter? Plus, You couls also make the vehicles from Halo wars as well! But... Here's a thought. Allow the ships to fire MAC (magnetic accelerator cannon) rounds from the cannons, and also make virtual cockpits for them in 3d. That is, if Bungie allows someone.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure, but I think that copyright issues might arise if Halo addons are made...
I would prefer to ask for permission to Microsoft before releasing an addon.
If you get their permission and you explain them that it is just for spacecraft simulation (missing feature in Halo) purposes and not for FPS purposes (unloyal competition), they could see it as "free advertising" instead of "copyright violation".

Who knows, if you make this addon, you could even end up getting a job at Mircosoft some day.

Do you feel scared about trying to penetrate into the bureaucracy of a corporation? Do not worry. Think that your idea will be rejected thefirst 4 times you present it to different people there. Employees of corporations are not good to deal with unusual affairs. So you better contact their legal department and ask for permission. If you get no answers from them, contact marketing and tell them that it could help to promote Halo, and also if you have no reply, try to contact gaming and development departments of the organization. Else knock other doors inside the organization, and eventually one will be open. Never give up, never surrender.

One word of advise... always behave like an ambassador. Think of manners. Avoid "hello pal" kind of conversation, since you are a serious developer.

Here we go again :)
What crime is in making a HALO model? No, really - Is he trying to prove that it's he who made the concept for halo, tries to sell it as part of Halo series or something?

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Some game producers see add-ons (mods) as infringement of their copyrights and usually send cease and desist orders (at which point fledgling add-on makers usually close up their work rather than challenge). I have seen more cases (what few total there are or at least I have seen) in which original game producers endorse a use of their intellectual property so long as it was not a reverse-engineered piece of their profit-software given away for free.

I do recall at least one instance where Bungie was posed with such a dilemma and let the mod stay, though I don't recall enough specifics to google-chase-it-down again.

I think if you challenged a cease & desist order, they'd be hard pressed to prove any copyright infringement (as purely new creations -- especially if they are derivative -- are commentary on the originals and thus fall under fair use copyright law).

[Disclaimer: Engineer; not a lawyer]

Reaction score
tries to sell it as part of Halo series or something?

Thats exactly it, they don't want non-Microsoft developers to profit from expanding their series, or even if there is no profit they don't want you to expand into their series (add new ships, vehicles or even name their already created "halo" technology). In other words, they would want this done their way, to be totally honest as long as you try to adhere to everything from the video clips and in-game footage, to the descriptions in the book series you'll be fine.

That said, I say screw the law (unless microsoft already got mad) and here's what I say about the mod;

1. Subspace travel shouldn't be implemented, it is stated several times in the book that in-system jumps are impossible,
    Halo: The Fall of Reach said:
    "An intra system jump?"..."That's not possible, slip stream space can't be navigated that accurately."
  2. Pelicans need to have a ramp that can close for space travel, in the game this is never shown. The book however explains that this exists.
  3. M.A.C cannons and Archer missiles for UNSC Starships.
Though I could go on and on, these are some things that should be taken into account, also remember that in Halo spacecraft follows the "forever atmosphere" space theory or in other words ships slow down if there is not a constant force propelling it forward (this is common in Fiction).

Reaction score
Right... but would a nuclear warhead really work in space? I mean the M.A.C and archers might stretch whats possible, but a nuke?

Oh, and I almost forgot about the fact that UNSC ships have a bridge located in the center of the ship, with video displays of space... how would that play out in Orbiter?

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Right... but would a nuclear warhead really work in space? I mean the M.A.C and archers might stretch whats possible, but a nuke?
Well, if The Shiva Launcher was Powered by magnetic accelerator coils around the barrel like a MAC cannon, then yes

Reaction score
Ok, lol this goes along with whats possible, In Halo 2 when something explodes in space the explosion move through space then you can hear it on another space craft (station or ship).

Same deal with the books, I know this is kind of a physics question more than a Halo question, but if an explosion produces a gas, then that gas is sent outwards by the explosion, could it theoretically cause a sound to be transfered to the ships hull, then heard by the inhabitants?

Anyway, I would like to see at least a starter addon for halo weapons, velcro style, Just imagine, the ISS with a M.A.C. Cannon.

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
I am not going to wait any longer for some one else to make a Halo 3 addon. So I will make one any help is appriacted and I have already started the first ship is almost done.

Coming soon,

Attachments

• UNSC Fleet.jpg
    UNSC Fleet.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 68

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
Comment on what you think it will take me forever to get all these flyable though almost done the Aegis Fate. Next might be Foward unto Dawn, Pillar of Autmn, Long Sword, (Compapitable) pelican, and much more soon to come!;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Same deal with the books, I know this is kind of a physics question more than a Halo question, but if an explosion produces a gas, then that gas is sent outwards by the explosion, could it theoretically cause a sound to be transfered to the ships hull, then heard by the inhabitants?

The gas isn't dense enough to transfer sound, no. There wouldn't really be a shockwave in space, since what we know on earth as shockwave is expanding air that was heated by the explosion. In space, the whole energy of the explosion is transferred in radiation: em (light), gamma, neutron and x-rays. So You have to detonate a nuke within 2 or 3 kilometers of your target to make any serious damage (within one km might be an instant kill though, depending on the warhead), so you'd probably not want to use conventional warheads, because their output is simply too weak when they don't have surounding air to help them out (there would also not be an emp effect from a nuke, for similiar reasons).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
While in general on the right track, some corrections:

The gas isn't dense enough to transfer sound, no.

Depends on the density of the gas in that case.

There wouldn't really be a shockwave in space, since what we know on earth as shockwave is expanding air that was heated by the explosion.

Shock waves are only rapid changes in density, propagating faster than the speed of sound in the medium. A detonation causes a shock wave even in space, traveling with the gas cloud of the explosion compared to the vacuum of space. It will be just a terribly weak shock wave.

In space, the whole energy of the explosion is transferred in radiation: em (light), gamma, neutron and x-rays. So You have to detonate a nuke within 2 or 3 kilometers of your target to make any serious damage (within one km might be an instant kill though, depending on the warhead), so you'd probably not want to use conventional warheads, because their output is simply too weak when they don't have surounding air to help them out (there would also not be an emp effect from a nuke, for similiar reasons).

Not only radiation, a small amount of energy will be used for destroying the bomb itself and turn it into a plasma cloud. Since the bomb will weight nearly nothing, the plasma cloud produced from it will be of VERY low density after a few bomb radii.

You can calculate the energy, that a nuclear explosion will inflict on a spacecraft simpler than the individual effects, by geometry. The whole energy of the explosion is roughly distributed evenly over the surface of an expanding sphere. Now you only have to calculate, how large your spacecraft appears in the sky, when seen from the bomb. A square meter of spacecraft on a 700m radius sphere of explosion is just getting 1/(4π r²) = 1.624030031549952405804936360944e-7 of the whole explosion.

If you would explode the Tsar bomba (50 MT)700m away from the spacecraft, each square meter of the spacecraft would get maximum 8 tons of TNT energy equivalent - a lot of power, but already not enough for instantly vaporizing most forms of armor - you would get mechanical damage by rapid ablation of the outer armor layers (think of a smaller explosion on the surface of the vessel). 1000m away, you would get just 3 tons already. 10 km away, your damage is already very low= 39 kg TNT.

This of course also gets less when the armor is not perpendicular to the explosion radius vector. A 50 MT explosion is terrible on Earth, doing damage even 1000km away, but 50 km away in space, it is already less than the radiation you get from the sun.

But now the trick question: How would a todays technology laser compare to the damage of the 50MT nuclear explosion 700m away?

A green laser with a 0.5m aperture radius (like used in military projects today), would have a spread radius of 0.0004697m at the target or 2.772368683172047311058171678281e-6 m² area. Every second, such a laser would cause the same damage to the armor surface than a 1724.2 ton TNT energy equivalent for the whole square meter of armor. In 0.00464 seconds, you have caused as much damage to the hit surface, as the 50 MT explosion.

Source on everything: The standard reading for weapons in space: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html

Last edited:

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
I am glad you are taking this seriously science fiction is quickly becoming science fact. But there is a Halo physics thread if you are intrested in talking more about Halo Physics.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A green laser with a 0.5m aperture radius (like used in military projects today), would have a spread radius of 0.0004697m at the target or 2.772368683172047311058171678281e-6 m² area. Every second, such a laser would cause the same damage to the armor surface than a 1724.2 ton TNT energy equivalent for the whole square meter of armor. In 0.00464 seconds, you have caused as much damage to the hit surface, as the 50 MT explosion.

Sure, but you can fire your nukes through half of the solar system... but we're going to loose ourselfes in this, and it's certainly not the right thread. :lol:

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
Ok today end the argument Nukes vaporize stuff close them (atmosphere or not) So if you fired a nuke like a torpedo at any ship it would do damage simple :) Also lasers can do damage in space. Either way please start posting in the Halo physics thread. :cheers:

Firefly99

Reaction score
can you find any of this stuff still out there? things that would work on Orbiter 2010?