Hard dock achieved

nomadic

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with orbiter for quite awhile now but it was mostly messing around with space ships and seeing how long I could go without turning into a fireball. I finally decided to read the tutorials though and give a shot at actually learning something practical. After several failed attempts (including one hilarious situation where I didn't boost high enough into orbit and re-entered and exploded before I could burn at apogee long enough to bring perigee up) I finally succeeded.

VmM77.png

It was strange, I didn't know I could feel this much pride in getting pixels on a screen to match up perfectly. I suppose it's because of the serious effort required to get into orbit, circulize it, align planes, sync orbit, and finally dock. The docking part was the hardest and it was where I learned in real time what translation thrust is good for. When I finally heard the bang bang bang of hard dock I practically jumped for joy.

Anyhow now that I've docked to the station I've looked through the hatch and found you lot up here partying. So, what's up?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Awesome! The first docking is a pretty big milestone (and it never gets old for me).

One of the things to keep in mind during the party is that alcohol abuse is a big deal. If you spill any here and can't catch it all; well, it gets everywhere and it's a mess to clean up...

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! The first docking is one of the best things that you can do as an orbinaut, I still remember my own! One of the best feelings I already had!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations, and welcome to Orbiter-Forum!

The firsts are always the greatest moments, it seems. The time hearing the clanging and beeping of hard-dock, the first time the ladder descends to the surface of the Moon, the first time Mars or Jupiter grows in front of you but you don't smash into it face-first...

nomadic

Reaction score
Awesome! The first docking is a pretty big milestone (and it never gets old for me).

One of the things to keep in mind during the party is that alcohol abuse is a big deal. If you spill any here and can't catch it all; well, it gets everywhere and it's a mess to clean up...

So I suppose I shouldn't let on that I have like a thousand gallons of vodka in the spare fuel tank I brought up with me right?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats! And :welcome: to the forum!

That's such an awesome feeling. And it only gets better from here. Happy Orbiting!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I still remember my first docking with ISS. It was with a Space Shuttle, and that was a time when I didn't know about the SyncOrbit MFD. You can guess it was a pretty large waste of fuel!

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Everybody remembers their first docking after countless failed efforts !
Great job; you have a right to feel proud !

nomadic

Reaction score
I just want to say that translation mode is a freaking lifesaver for docking. I can't imagine docking without it now that I've tried it.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just want to say that translation mode is a freaking lifesaver for docking. I can't imagine docking without it now that I've tried it.

Neither can I! :huh:

How did you manage without using translational thrusters? I would bet it is flat out impossible to do with a dorsal docking port.

nomadic

Reaction score
Neither can I! :huh:

How did you manage without using translational thrusters? I would bet it is flat out impossible to do with a dorsal docking port.

Very careful use of retro rockets and alot of patience.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've tried that before. 'Uncontrolled' final approach - try and get a hard dock without touching the controls starting 50m away from the port! Haven't managed to do it yet... Many congratulations if you managed to! :thumbup: