Gaming Headset recommendations?

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
I've had pretty bad experiences with headsets in the past, particularly with having to fidget midwire volume controls to play sound in both earpieces.

I'm looking for something snugly fitting; full ear covers, with a microphone, and sturdy. I like to feel like a high-tech pilot, but I don't want something super flamboyant(Nothing that looks like a toy).

I'm browsing amazon, but I feel like Orbinauts fit my personality the most, and I'm looking at what you guys(which I consider to be a gender-neutral term) recommend. Thanks!!:)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have the Creative Fatal1ty set. It's very comfortable and snug fitting, and the build quality is excellent. My only complaint is that the microphone is detachable instead of folding up, but that just means you can use them like normal headphones on the plane or something without looking weird.

They were reasonably priced at around $60, I think. Don't know if they still make them, though...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I use a Sennheiser PC 350. It is probably my last attempt at buying an expensive headset. Partialy because I feel this thing will stay with me for a long time. I've had it for over a year in daily use and so far it has been as superb as the day I bought it. The volume controls and mute have lasted longer than I expected and work beautifully. The cable is really sturdy and has survived many roll overs with my chair on hardwood floor. The encapsulation is pretty perfect, I don't hear the screams from the basement at all :p

Suffice to say, there should be better value for money options available now.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Creative Fatality looks to be the best option; I'm not a fan of thin mics, but it seems like you've got to make significant sacrifices in quality or price to get a sturdy looking mic, so Its something I Can live with.

The Sennheiser PC350 looks amazing and fits my wants perfectly, but a $230, when I'm wearing a 100$ PC151 that's about to fall apart...

The H230 is still an enticing option, since it seems to follow the KISS principle well, and it's a good sign when a cheap mic sacrifices features, because then you know they didn't sacrifice quality.

I didn't consider wireless headsets, but it seems like a good option since I have a bad habit of:

A.Chewing on the cord(not possible with my current, since it's too far away)
B.Accidentally yanking the cord out of the socket running or dancing

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! You've made me much closer to making a decision!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Too bad the PC350 seems to be out of production. Prices have risen and supply is virtualy nonexistent. I'd have figured it would be around 100$ by now :/

regarding wireless: just don't do it. just don't.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Too bad the PC350 seems to be out of production. Prices have risen and supply is virtualy nonexistent. I'd have figured it would be around 100$ by now :/

regarding wireless: just don't do it. just don't.

In that case, I'll go with the HS90 by creative labs.