Hello, happy to be here.

bisbeejim

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Jerry but you can (and should) call me Jim. It's a long story how mom told grandma to put down James on the birth cert but something went wrong and no one's ever bothed to change it. Life is like that you know - box of chocolates and all that.

I'm here becaue I finally found a "game" that doesn't insult my intellegence.

One thing, first impressions are very important and I must get this one thing out of the way. I was born with Asperger's which went undiagnosed for 54 years. That means that extensive socializing is very hard on me mentally and I will require special (individual) dispensation in order for me to mesh well with the group.

Okay, that said. I'am pleased :tiphat: to meet you.

Jim

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
+1 on that. I'm somewhere on the spectrum myself and the hardest thing I'm still un-learning from my own developmental years is that it is NOT a disorder. It is NOT something 'wrong' with you.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :hello:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
+1 on that. I'm somewhere on the spectrum myself and the hardest thing I'm still un-learning from my own developmental years is that it is NOT a disorder. It is NOT something 'wrong' with you.

What doesn't kill you, only makes you strange. :lol:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score

There are far worse personality types.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

:cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are far worse personality types.

Absolutely. But people who know who they actually are, are usually on the better half of the scale.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the best community in the web, Jim!

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi bisbeejim, welcome, Orbiter is something people keep using even after 15 years since it came out. It doesn't grow old.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
I was born with Asperger's which went undiagnosed for 54 years. That means that extensive socializing is very hard on me mentally and I will require special (individual) dispensation in order for me to mesh well with the group.

Wow, I never knew something like this existed but after reading the wikipedia article about it in detail, I feel I can relate most symptoms mentioned there with myself. While this is certainly not close to any of the 'really serious' personality disorders, but.....since I'm only in my early 20s & you have already lived with that disorder for so long, I just wanted to ask...Have you ever tried to do something about it? Any (maybe minor)tips/advice on how to cope with that disorder?

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew something like this existed but after reading the wikipedia article about it in detail, I feel I can relate most symptoms mentioned there with myself. While this is certainly not close to any of the 'really serious' personality disorders, but.....since I'm only in my early 20s & you have already lived with that disorder for so long, I just wanted to ask...Have you ever tried to do something about it? Any (maybe minor)tips/advice on how to cope with that disorder?

I have moderately severe Asperger's. It was very debilitating in my youth; I had a difficult time in almost any social ‎or physical activity in school, as I would feel intensely physically uncomfortable being in and around unfamiliar situations. It's still a struggle sometimes, but I've managed to (to the best of my ability) gain control of it. The thing about it is learning what to do and how to react in social situations doesn't come naturally, but it does come eventually. You just have to learn it. The key I've found is to just keep throwing yourself into situations you don't feel like you'll be comfortable in, and do your best from there. If you're invited to a party, go, even if you feel like you don't want to. Talk to people there, even if you're unsure about it. Visit bars, talk to strangers, go to dances (still haven't managed dancing in front of people) face down all your fears, and eventually you can overcome them.‎ It just takes a lot of time and effort and repetition.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I had a difficult time in almost any social ‎or physical activity in school, as I would feel intensely physically uncomfortable being in and around unfamiliar situations.

Same here. But I would never call it Aspergers or Autism or whatever. My private sphere just measures in AU.

I would even say, not feeling uncomfortable in unfamiliar situations or when you have too many people getting at your skin is more a kind of disorder. Of course, there are different ways of uncomfortable. Some need a stronger push to get past the reasonable fears. Some never have the strength to get that push from within.

bisbeejim

Reaction score
The best thing that happened to me is I sought and received professional help.

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

I've had an excess of Orbiter '16 crashing. It finally came to the point that I downloaded Microsoft's Visual C++ SDK to begin the hunt for the bug(s). It didn't take long until I realized I in over my head. Microsoft has a special team managing system which allows a senior programmer to assign duties and tasks to others. You may have a look at it at:

https://bisbeejim.visualstudio.com/Orbiter Repair Shop/Orbiter Repair Shop Team

I named the project "Orbiter Repair Shop."

I envisioned a shop to bring all your Orbiter '16 woes to be turned over to programming gurus that do nothing but meditate and code. Right now I have neither but I've got to start somewhere.

Once again - thanks for the warm welcome.