General Question Help a Beginner: no sound + shuttle controls?

NSRacer

Reaction score
@Hmuda it's not that i fail following things, i just don't know how they work and stuff...anyway, i have to read more so maybe i will see how things work

Hmuda

Reaction score
That's what I was getting at. :)

I don't think anyone here knew how the stock MFDs work when they started out (well, except Martin). Just trying to encourage you not to be intimidated by the seemingly complex MFDs. :)

I'm glad that you are resolved to learn all this stuff. That's exactly how all of us started out here.

NSRacer

Reaction score
it ok but all this things look weird for me...i mean when i watched the tutorial with the delta glider going to the moon, he changed the flight path 10.000 times...i mean why don't you go directly to the moon not circle the whole space before

as i said, i still have tutorials to read

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sounds like you could do with reading some orbital physics books, too.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4547"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4547[/ame]

Here you go! If you use this you don't have to learn any of that physics garbage!:thumbup:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes indeed... if in doubt, eliminate those pesky laws of physics. >.>

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
oh except for stabilizing your orbit when you get there or freefalling 1 million meters

NSRacer

Reaction score
this is almost like the mfd from flight simulator (but i think it's called FMC in flight sim)...so know i will be able to go direct to the destination and back?

thanks for the link and help btw :D

Bendarr

Reaction score
You could do it the way that I do if say I'm going to the moon. Take a hint from the old 50's SF (which actually works in this case). First make sure you have unlimited fuel (makes things easier). Get into orbit. Point the nose of your ship at whatever your target is. Go full throttle and once you have a good speed up (You'll figure this out by trial and lots of error) coast for a while till you hit roughly halfway. Flip the ship end over end (retrograde) and fire the engines until you slow way down. It helps to have Orbit MFD activated and having your target (the moon in this case) selected. Re adjust your aim and repeat until you get close enough where you can slow down enough to get into a orbit. Only uses Orbit MFD for this technique.

Note to those who are grinding their teeth right now concerning my piloting escapades: Yes, I know it's not fuel efficent but it lets me concentrate on other things like getting from point A to B. Yes, I realize that it's not a elegant solution but it works for me until I can figure out IMFD. Eventually, I'll figure out how to use those MFDs properly but in the meantime I allows me to get places and learn in the process. Besides, in a way it's a bit of a challenge in it's own way. Using OrbitMFD, or FreeOrbitMFD only goto the Moon, Orbit it and get back to Earth. Oh yeah, feel free to use the Radio/MP3 player MFD as well. Kinda fun really.

Last edited:

NSRacer

Reaction score
@Bendarr that's exactly what i'm looking for and i think you have the most basic flying...i'm not looking to simulate all the stuff (i know that a lot of people will disagree with me) i just want to go from point A to B like you. so that's my point, i watched tutorials and read manuals but i don't understand why they do such crazy and complex maneuvers...so there must be an easier way instead of simulating all things

so basically i just have to select the target and follow those easy steps you mentioned? well i don't think it's too hard...but i have to come back to earth too and that's not so easy

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
@Bendarr that's exactly what i'm looking for and i think you have the most basic flying...i'm not looking to simulate all the stuff (i know that a lot of people will disagree with me) i just want to go from point A to B like you. so that's my point, i watched tutorials and read manuals but i don't understand why they do such crazy and complex maneuvers...so there must be an easier way instead of simulating all things

Because it's rocket science. Orbiter models real solar system physics so those "crazy maneuvers" are required to put an object on a trajectory to intercept it's target.

Flying in space isn't like dusting crops. :lol:

Bendarr

Reaction score

so basically i just have to select the target and follow those easy steps you mentioned? well i don't think it's too hard...but i have to come back to earth too and that's not so easy

Please remember this is just a very loose way that I do things. One thing I did in order to help me out was watch some video tutorials and I used the DGIV autopilot for ascent a few times. During the flight, I took notes as far as when it lowers the nose etc. Now I don't need the autopilot anymore for that, my main problem is with docking but I'm working on that. They aren't kidding about it having a steep learning curve. If all else fails remember it is "Rocket science."

I would suggest that you fire up the learning tutorials that come with the DGIV first and take notes. Don't be dismayed, it's gonna take a while.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Because it's rocket science. Orbiter models real solar system physics so those "crazy maneuvers" are required to put an object on a trajectory to intercept it's target.

Flying in space isn't like dusting crops. :lol:

That, in a nutshell, is exactly the point of Orbiter. If you just want to simulate sci-fi physics and burn from A to B directly then there are a myriad of lesser simulators which will quite happily do that for you. Some of them even have lasers!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For messenging, I should have a little MSN icon under my picture on posts. Click on that and you can drop me a line. :thumbup:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
i just want to go from point A to B like you. so that's my point, i watched tutorials and read manuals but i don't understand why they do such crazy and complex maneuvers...so there must be an easier way instead of simulating all things

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia[/ame]

Maybe this is more up your Ally then? It is much easier.