General Question Help a Beginner: no sound + shuttle controls?

NSRacer

Reaction score
Hy, my name is George and i was looking for space shuttle simulator and i found orbiter. Problem is that i have no idea how to use it (and i mean NO IDEA). I would be happy if someone could write me a tutorial with all the keyboard controls and stuff.
Some problems before that i noticed til now :

- first of all i don't have sound
- are you able to control the shuttle or just watch the gameplay video?

So as i said, if someone wants to help me with a list with the controls, a tutorial/walk trough to get things moving etc.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
first of all i don't have sound

Download and install the extension OrbiterSound, it is the defacto-standard for sound effects in Orbiter.

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

You can also grab a lot of other nice stuff from there, which you might want to try out, especially Ummu/UCGO is another standard extension.

are you able to control the shuttle or just watch the gameplay video?

Orbiter is a spaceflight simulator, no video player.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'd also have to suggest reading the orbiter.pdf file which is in the doc directory. This contains a lot of using information on both the basics and more advanced aspects of orbiter

NSRacer

Reaction score
ok i will read the pdf files and see if i will manage to learn something. Urwumpe, thanks also for the help.

PS - so after learning the tutorials will i be able to fly to the moon and stuff?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They will definitely help. :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
PS - so after learning the tutorials will i be able to fly to the moon and stuff?

I'd have to say no but you'll have a better appreciation for what's involved.

Remember, Orbiter has a steep learning curve. As an example, it took me something like a month before I could dock to the ISS and 5 months before I got to the moon. You may well be a lot quicker than that.

I'd also suggest reading this -> Go Play in Space

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

No. After you can do the tutorials in your sleep, you have mastered the basics.

Navigation in space is science and art at the same time, which means you never stop learning something new, and you need experience and the right feeling for getting anywhere you want to. It is a lot about intuition, if you have no number cruncher for trajectory optimization in your basement.

But start slowly, the warning of the steep learning curve is not for fun, you can quickly be overwhelmed by the realism. I can recommend you after the first easy steps, maybe playing with the DGIV or the DG-XRx in low Earth orbit, to slowly learn about basic orbital mechanics.

Sadly, most of the stuff is written from engineers for engineers, so you will have a hard time and a lot of math, but be assured: You don't need the math. The math is done inside Orbiter usually, what you need to learn is the various kinds of trajectories, the coarse relation between radius and velocity, the meanings of the many variables in Orbit MFD or IMFD.

Look here for some further explanations, it is pretty low-level: http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/basics/index.php

The math is only needed as add-on developer.

So...

[math]v^2 = \mu (\frac{2}{r} - \frac{1}{a})[/math]

NSRacer

Reaction score
yeah i know that i have to learn all kind of stuff but i'm talking about basic things like controls and starting a flight.

PS - i have some flying experience because i have been using flight simulator for the past 2 years :p. But i know the controls and stuff (also it was pretty easy to get started) but here i don't know nothing. I will learn the procedures and stuff but as i said, i need to know the basics which i can't find that's why i entered this forum.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I just see, that they added quiz questions to the JPL tutorial...maybe a great way to check what you know ;)

yeah i know that i have to learn all kind of stuff but i'm talking about basic things like controls and starting a flight.

PS - i have some flying experience because i have been using flight simulator for the past 2 years :p. But i know the controls and stuff (also it was pretty easy to get started) but here i don't know nothing. I will learn the procedures and stuff but as i said, i need to know the basics which i can't find that's why i entered this forum.

If you have flight sim experience, be assured, that you start again learning in space. Spaceflight is completely contradicting what you know from air travel.

The controls may look similar at first glance, but that is just a trap. If you fly a shuttle in space as you would fly it in the atmosphere, you will be lost in space.

How to start a flight stands in the manuals of Orbiter and the spacecraft manual, even the orbiter spacecraft have their own manuals.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Orbiter .pdf files should be one of your best friends when you first start out. I've been flying flight sims since before Windows 3.1 (flight simulator with a whopping 4 colors, before that it was all grey). Orbiter gave me a good slice of humility, but I caught on fast.
Also to be a good friend and reference is "Go Play In Space" found here... http://www.aovi93.dsl.pipex.com/play_in_space.htm

I've got "cheat-sheets" for nearly every craft I fly (Shuttle Fleet, XR- series, DGIV etc...) with the hot-keys and need to know information that I keep in a notebook. This helps me from getting on crafts command with another...

Happy Orbiting dude!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Agreed. The PDF files are invaluable. In particular, the flight checklists, Chapter 19 in Orbiter.pdf, are a good place to start. Also check out Go Play in Space that others have mentioned. That should get you enough to get started at least. Once you get those down, you can move to more advanced operations.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also highly recommend "Go Play in Space". It was really put together for beginners and it will help a lot if you learn from it to start. :)

Happy Orbiting!

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Ditto on the "go play in space" manual, it is an essential basic.

The next thing I'm going to say might make many of our pilots gnash their teeth. I am assuming that you are not an engineer (not all of are, I sure as heck aren't :) ), if you are then feel free to ignore this. Once you have figured out the BASIC basics (launch, achieving a stable and circular orbit, rendezvous and docking, reentry and landing), I would recommend spending a little time playing with some science fiction vessels. Specifically, the Rag Tag Fleet ships with their jump drives (or, alternately, just use the JumpDrive MFD). This will allow you the chance to visit the rest of the planets WHILE you are beating your head in trying to figure out TransX and Interplanetary (2 essential MFD's needed for realistic interplanetary flight).

This will help in 2 ways:
1) Since the learning curve is SOOO ridiculously steep, being able to actually GO to other planets and explore will help maintain your interest in orbiter so that you don't get frustrated and quit. It will also help encourage your interest in actually learning to use the tools you need to do the flight properly (this is where I am at right now).

2) It will help you learn another valuable skill: Orbital insertion. Actually getting into orbit around your target planet/moon/asteroid is one of those things that is as much art as science, and is a valuable thing to learn to do by intuition. Once you have learned how to pull your car out of the garage into the driveway, and how pull off the street and park, you are ready to start learning how to drive. :)

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
The pdf's while probally wont teach you to go the moon (I haven't read them in a while) they will teach you the general jest of things. I agree with garyw in the learning curve is steep and basically to understand everything that goes on in orbiter just read...weather it is at nasa or on this forum or you download a manual reading will help you.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
manuals manuals manuals... orbiter has a manual for running the program, each spacecraft has a manual for operating it, and although there isn't always one, pretty much EVERY MFD needs a manual to use it as they use a lot of abbreviations or have their own way of operating. overall i'd say about the only thing orbiter has in common with flight sims is that it can be used on a computer, or perhaps some of the atmospheric flight is similar but in general, transitioning between atmoshperic flight and space flight is one of the HUGE, more advanced challenges of playing orbiter. if i could offer some general advice, it would be to learn different operations by themselves. for example:

0. My first advice is to NOT use the space shuttle at all until you learn the basics, the shuttle packs tend to be more on difficult side because they use very limited amounts of fuel and unless you KNOW the basics you will only run out of fuel and never even achieve orbit. even giving the shuttle unlimited fuel makes it too heavy to achieve orbit. start with unrealistic spacecraft that have no damage or explosions to start out with and tons of fuel and unrealistic thrust outputs. the DGIII is pretty good at all these things, so do alot of people's scifi VINKA spacecraft, although some are difficult to install, so the DG is good for ease. also the SHUTTLE PB is nice and simple. I like the DG because it has at least SOME kind of cockpit and labels that can help identify some of the functions or you can click them with the mouse and not need to memorize the keystroke.

1.practice launches and exiting the atmosphere, and achieving ANY orbit whatsoever

2.start the program with one of the many scenarios that is already in space, such as docked to the space station. from there, practice moving from one docking port to another using only RCS thrusters

3.Try the scenarios that are on final approach to docking

4. Try transforming your orbit in ways that you control, such as transferring from a 250km orbit up to a 500km orbit and back again.

5. try using the basic MFDs until you understand what it does. for example, start try aligning your orbital plane with the moons plane with the orbital alignment mfd and understand the meaning of all standard orientations for navigating. if you don't know what Rinc, AN+, DN-, Ap, Pe, ALT, RAD, PRO, RET, TGT, NTGT or NAV, are, then you need to read the MFD manuals and the physics primer everyone keeps referring to on the nasa website, which is EXACTLY where i started out. these are the absolute barebones of knowing whats going on.

6. if you have trouble remembering all the short names for things, make youself a quick reference glossary

8. try to RENDEZVOUS with the iss or the moon. even getting close to the moon or hitting the moon with your ship will be an accomplishment to start out with! hahah so is getting close enough to see the ISS from a distance, don't expect it to be large or easy to find until you understand how to use the instruments and basic orbital mechanics.

9. Try using a small vehicle to make a short flight on the moon, its probably harder than you think and will teach you about trajectory and managing your altitude when there is no atmosphere to keep you aloft. also, if you can fly away from a moon base, then turn around and get back to that SAME moon base without crashing, then you will be on your way to great success!!

10. all the little missions you assign yourself will give you the basic skills to do the big stuff you want to do.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

p.s. one last thing is that if you feel like you are having trouble getting the information you want out of this, try downloading some of the playbacks that people post on the orbit-hangar. sometimes its easier to know what to do if you see a playback recording or someone else doing it. no single post or tutorial could ever do more than scratch the surface of answering every question.

NSRacer

Reaction score
i've been missing for a time, anyway thanks for the help, i downloaded "go play in space" but i can't sit too much time and read because i don't have patience at all. @Bloodworth no i am not an engineer :D but i still haven't got my basic answer. i know i should start reading and stuff but what i mean with my question about the controls, i am not talking about things i should switch, push etc in the vc or other things like that, i'm talking about a small list with the keyboard controls like : direction keys, throttle, engine start, flaps, landing gear, rudder and other basic controls...because i can't find them anywere so i would appreciate if someone could make me a list. i don't want to start yet learning all the procedures and stuff, i just want to know the basic controls and just try to take off and have fun

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm afraid to say you seem to have the wrong attitude.

Orbiter is like no other space simulation game. It's a focussed, realistic space simulator which takes patience and practice in abundance to learn, and a basic understanding of physics will certainly be of benefit. It is not a game you can simply "jump in and fly", and learning only the basic controls will leave you sadly lacking a good chunk of what makes Orbiter Orbiter.

I think one of the best places to start is GPIS, since it was written specifically for people new to the simulator, but if the size of the document is really putting you off, try running the Checklists scenarios from #1 onwards and pressing F1 in-game. Those will walk you through how to get a DeltaGlider into orbit, sync and dock with the ISS, and then finally deorbit.

Note, however, that there is no real "quickstart" in Orbiter, but the DG is by far the best place to start, since it offers a forgiving platform for the newbie with no damage and excellent performance. Learning to fly in Orbiter will take, as mentioned, time and patience, however, and if those are things you cannot spare, then frankly Orbiter is not for you.

NSRacer

Reaction score
i don't have the wrong attitude and i also want to learn how to use orbiter but how am i supposed to learn how to use it when i don't even know what to press in order to take off?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The answers you seek are all in the documentation provided to you either within Orbiter or linked to you via answers posted on this website.

Your plain refusal to consider these documents and instead post here demanding support shows a lack of patience for anything even slightly complex, which is why I said that you appear to have the wrong attitude.

Figuring out how to take off would have taken you less time than it took you to write that last post.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome to the forum NSRacer.

Please take the time to use more descriptive thread titles in the future. I renamed your thread here from 'Help a Beginner' to 'Help a Beginner: no sound + shuttle controls?'

Additionally the information you need is included in the Orbiter.pdf as already mentioned. I also recommend you check out our tutorial page linked below which includes a list of various tutorials, including the ever popular 'Go Play in Space'.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/tutorials.php