General Question Help a Beginner: no sound + shuttle controls?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
ok i started to read the damn manuals...not all the keys are present there (for example throttle and some others) but i managed to discover them...2 questions though :
1. does "play in space" work for orbiter 2010?
2. how can i zoom in our out in cockpit view

PS - i'm sorry if i offended anyone or stuff like that, yes manuals do really learn you how to do stuff (not 100% but they help a lot). So i hope you will be able to help me when i will need some answers...till then, i still have to read a lot
Yes, go play in space is still valid, as far as I know!

At first it might seem a bit frustrating to have to read so much stuff, but you'll soon realise that it really isn't that much and that it can be fun! The "go play in space" is written in a very fun-to-read way.

NSRacer

Reaction score
yes i know...even the documents from orbiter...it's a lot to read but it's not much to remember and it's very easy too...i'm not much of a reader but i understand things very very fast

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As for point 2, "zooming" per se in VCs doesn't really work, but you can use the FoV controls to make the cockpit appear bigger.

NSRacer

Reaction score
i'm talking about the delta glider (well space shuttle too)...there are some pics in the tutorials and in the vc view it's zoomed out so you can see all the things...but if i switch to vc view, it's zoomed in and i can see the glass and 20% of the panel

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Xyon's right...press F4, then Camera and then "FOV" tab. move the slider about and see how the field of view (FOV) affects your view.

Hmuda

Reaction score
ok i started to read the damn manuals...not all the keys are present there (for example throttle and some others) but i managed to discover them...2 questions though :

PS - i'm sorry if i offended anyone or stuff like that, yes manuals do really learn you how to do stuff (not 100% but they help a lot). So i hope you will be able to help me when i will need some answers...till then, i still have to read a lot
1: AFAIK no keys were altered and that doc is as general as it can be, in terms of teaching the basics. You can't go wrong with that.
2: You can't zoom per se, but you can alter the field of view (X/Y to do it in slow increments, or CTRL+X/Y for every 10°).

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's X and Z by default, not X / Y. ;)

NSRacer

Reaction score
don't worry guys it worked...i also launched atlantis just to see how it is..god the space and earth are very beautiful...so are you guys saying that after reading go play in space and trying to recreate the scenarios i will be able to use this simulator?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Also, to do it in even steps of 10, its ctrl +z/x

Well, that was implied by saying it was Z and X by default... >.>

so are you guys saying that after reading go play in space and trying to recreate the scenarios i will be able to use this simulator?

Sure, that's the point of the book. It will give you the fundamentals, at least. Finesse and expertise will come later. :)

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
don't worry guys it worked...i also launched atlantis just to see how it is..god the space and earth are very beautiful...so are you guys saying that after reading go play in space and trying to recreate the scenarios i will be able to use this simulator?

Define use! Go Play in Space will arm you with the basics, its going to require time and trial/error to fill in the gaps. Do the tutorials, master them, and then apply what you've learned to your next flight.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yes, at a basic level: after reading (and of course practicing!) you should be able to get around in delta-glider-like vessels. However you'll never stop learning...even after many years you'll learn something new every day. The "oldest members" will surely be able to confirm this.

NSRacer

Reaction score
well my goal is to be able to launch the space shuttle, dock and then come back to earth...and of course, to do the apollo mission but that comes with a full tutorial so it will not be so hard

if i will be able to do that, then i will be the happiest player

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
2: You can't zoom per se, but you can alter the field of view (X/Y to do it in slow increments, or CTRL+X/Y for every 10°).
Don't you mean "Z/X" and "ctrl+Z/ctrl+X" ?
oh wow that was fast

Personally, as I am still a relative newb at Orbiter, I'd recommend using the Delta Glider IV as your first vessel. You definitely don't want something like the Shuttle, that is way too hard.
The default Delta Glider is good for beginners; it was meant to demonstrate the principles of physics in Orbiter without limiting you with too many systems and stuff.
However, I found it easier to start with DGIV, because the autopilots can get you through the parts you don't know, and it has a built in checklist.
Of course, you must know the basics before you just start doing what the checklists tell you- they are really only for that vessel. But the DGIV at least gives you some guidance.
After you can launch to the correct inclination, achieve a circular orbit, change planes, sync orbit with another vessel, dock, deorbit, and land, THEN you can move to harder vessels like the Shuttle. Until then, DGIV's autopilots can cover the tricky manual parts like ascent and reentry, letting you focus on the orbits.
Also, the first thing I learned to do was docking. It's actually not hard, that's how I began to learn. Dunno if that helps.
cheerz:cheers:

NSRacer

Reaction score
it's not hard but at first i did not know how and where to learn the basics

PS - please don't argue about the zooming problem, everything is ok...i entered the camera tab and zoomed out from there

one more problem : the first tutorial in go play in space is with the glider and it's something with docking with another one..however, there are 2 things, you can run the tutorial and do whats necessary or you can play it and it will be like a video and you will see and here everything you have to do...well how do i play it because i don't know?

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know everyone here is pressing MANUALS MANUALS MANUALS, but don't forget that trial and error is still one of the best ways to learn. You can read 400 pages on how to land the LM, and I can almost guarantee that you will crash the first time you give it a go.
Orbiter needs a technical understanding (IE manual-reading), but I daresay more importantly it needs an intuitive feeling for what you're doing. That will only come with practise, and practise in Orbiter usually involves a lot of failures and explosions. So go on, tear off into the sky a few times without knowing what the heck you're doing. It's good for you. If you crash and die, that's great. You probably won't do it that way again. If you don't crash, it means whatever you did works. You can refine your technique later. Right now, you just got into orbit, so congratulations. One step at a time and all that.

Cheers.

NSRacer

Reaction score
@Izack i totally agree with you and that was the first thing that i've done...and for my surprised i took off very good...once i accidentally detached the side rockets and fuel tank before even taking off...it was funny but at least i learned what K, J, L buttons do :p..but of course, after learning each thing, i will enter the game and try what i learned

i don't know if i am allowed to leave yahoo IDs here, maybe someone will be kind enough to help me...talking on messenger will be a lot easier...

anyway, i have to leave, i will read more tomorrow, you all have a very good night

---------- Post added 06-22-10 at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-21-10 at 07:31 PM ----------

ok, after some reading from "go to space" i managed to do the first scenario with the delta glider without even looking at the instructions again...it's not hard but i'm not familiar with the procedures. i saw the in game tutorial with the delta gilder flying to the moon but i don't understand why it does all those procedures. i also don't understand the MDFs, for example i saw another in game tutorial with atlantis docking on the iss...and the pilot has to watch some things on the MDF so that you will intercept iss...

that's about it, the rest is very easy

Hmuda

Reaction score
Yep, ISS rendezvous, traveling to the Moon and such challanges are tough at first. It took me several attempts to take off and make a successful docking with the ISS all on my own. I frequently overshot, used the MFDs incorrectly or other things, but when everything falls into place, it's the best kind of feeling of accomplishment.

So I suggest: don't let the seemingly complex things intimidate you. Once you know what to look out for and know which numbers to keep an eye on, you'll fly to Mars in no time.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

1. Yes

2. Try changing the FOV (Field of view).