Help with TLE to azimuth and elevation function

Marijn

Reaction score
Hello all,

For a fun project (my smart lighting), I am looking for a function which outputs the azimuth and elevation along with the associated timestamps of an earth-orbiting object at a given location on earth.

Much like the info on https://www.heavens-above.com/. Unfortunately, they never published an API. So I like to try this myself now. Also, I want it to accept TLE's and not some catalog id.

Publishing the API is easy. But I need some help with the math. Anybody who can help me work this out or can point me to some resource to start from?

Thanks!

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If your can "read MATLAB", this repo has some code...
or if you prefer JavaScript this repo has lots of functionality.

Last edited:

Marijn

Reaction score
Thanks. The plan is to deploy the code in a Google Apps Script environment. That's serverside Javascript with some extra restrictions. I'll have a look at it.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I somehow guessed that you like to have some code (or math) to look at.:yes:

Calculating the azimuth and elevation is the easiest part by the way. But as TLEs are usually snapshots "from the past", propagating the actual satellite position to a later time (now) is the heavy lifting part...

BTW: In case you've missed the obvious source, Doc\Technotes\dynamics.pdf has some details on that topic.