Status
Not open for further replies.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
4throck submitted a new addon:

Hermes Shuttle WIP - Resource files for a work-in-progress implementation of ESA's Hermes Shuttle, using VesselBuilder

View attachment 29181This is a work-in-progress implementation of ESA's Hermes Shuttle, using VesselBuilder (required).
The launch vehicle is a Multistage2015 Ariane 5 (Kourou and Ariane 5 rocket required). I've added my old Man Tended Free Flyer (spacecraft3) as a possible mission target and a runway at Istres (planned landing site).

The addon is not complete. You should be able to...

Read more about this addon...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In short, it's flyable but incomplete, therefore I release it under "resources" so that others might help finish it. ;)

Didn't somebody in the francophone forum have interest there?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And which licence did you pick there?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Didn't somebody in the francophone forum have interest there?
Yes, it was discussed as a possible part of the Kourou/Ariane addon. I'd welcome that!
And which licence did you pick there?
I don't care much about licences. My orbiter specific conditions are explained in the description:

"You'll be credited as co-author on a future release. Likewise, if you complete and release it, list me (4throck) as co-author.
You are allowed to finish it and release it as an add-on for Orbiter 2016, provided you credit me for the 3D mesh and initial development, but the addon must be realistic (that is, realistic physical parameters and mission profile are used, and the addon is complete enough so that you can perform a full mission - launch, dock, landing). I also allow it to be distributed with other addons (ex: Ariane 5) provided the same realistic conditions are met."

Any questions just ask ;)

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
I know there were an old Hermes addon for Orbiter 2006 (as far as i remember). You'd be able to find it on Pappy's Hangar (french site to download Orbiter addons). I don't know if the airflow is usable, but well... it exists.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does somebody still know which persons had been responsible for the aerodynamic configuration of Hermes? Maybe I can find some engineering papers in a universities library. I know that the coarse numbers for Hermes are quoted in numerous publications of the 90s.

Otherwise, I would need to start the research at basically zero there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Found some old DLR report, maybe I can ask for it, Braunschweig and Göttingen aren't far away for me for taking a look.

And this one:

EDIT: This one might be exactly what is needed for giving this spaceplane proper aerodynamics, it compares the important coefficients (which we need for Orbiter) between experimental (wind tunnel) data and computer simulations. One of the authors was professor for computational flow dynamics at the University of Braunschweig while I studied there - not really helpful for getting the document, but it makes me sure this paper contains the needed data. Found quite many old names from my time as apprentice at the DLR while searching for interesting documents.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
@Urwumpe That stuff is way beyond me, but it would be great if you could "translate" mass/aerodynamic parameters from there.
I think I modeled all of the aerodynamic surfaces as separate mesh groups ;)...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe That stuff is way beyond me, but it would be great if you could "translate" mass/aerodynamic parameters from there.
I think I modeled all of the aerodynamic surfaces as separate mesh groups ;)...

I'll first of all try locating the document, its not available in digital form. Maybe its archived somewhere nearby, the DLR headquarters are just one hour in my car away.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Mission : inflitrate DLR headquarters and retrieve documents on the Hermes program ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Mission : inflitrate DLR headquarters and retrieve documents on the Hermes program ?

This message will destroy itself in 10 seconds....

I have no idea about how to implement such coefficient functions into Vesselbuilder, maybe there is a mission following it....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, for those who might care:

The mesh largely represents the aerodynamic shape "Forme 294", of the 1990 8R1 (1.0) configuration. Only one nitpicking error there: The airbrake panels are too small. Otherwise, it fits perfectly to the ESA illustrations of that time and the scale model created by Jean-Marc Deschamps (Possibly not THE Jean Marc Deschamps we know from some successful movie productions).

There are some differences to the intermediate A configuration, that turned out to be the last one (Like a much simpler RCS configuration and some aerodynamic optimizations) The planned final version 2.0 was never reached.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I based the model on two detailed matching orthographic views and photos of physical mockups. Details lined up nicely between these sources, so it seemed like a "stable" design configuration. My goal was more artistic than following any specific configuration.
I had a similar situation with Constellation - the best visually documented version was an intermediate one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I based the model on two detailed matching orthographic views and photos of physical mockups. Details lined up nicely between these sources, so it seemed like a "stable" design configuration. My goal was more artistic than following any specific configuration.
I had a similar situation with Constellation - the best visually documented version was an intermediate one.

Yeah, I just had to compare to be sure, which state of things had been used there and which technical papers relate to it. For example, while a 272 configuration might appear close, its a completely different spacecraft. Or the X-2000 subproject, which tried to cut the costs after things already collapsed. Personally, I would prefer the A configuration since it is really appearing like the more complete spacecraft (for example, it covered MMOD protection and many habitability issues).

The Hermes book is really good, while I remember some of the public statements about why the program failed ("French pet project", "German government wanted Sänger II"), I so far lacked the details, like how strong Ariane 5 performance and Hermes mass diverged during the project.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I created a new public repository on github for a "fork" of this one, for keeping things a bit more organized than just leaving "breadcrumps" of information everywhere. I am still in the process of settings things up, but if you have any complaints or suggestions, just tell me now. I'll keep on doing some small stuff here during the next days.

@4throck Its on MIT licence, I'll add your co-author (or what ever you like more) there to the documents as soon as your files get integrated there. Do you have a github user or handle to reference you there?

Status
Not open for further replies.