Updates Herschel & Planck News

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not what you want I'm afraid, but a bit longer (2.5mins), covers the boosters seperation.

http://www.videocorner.tv/videocorner2/live_flv/index.php?langue=en

If that was the only video feed available thats probably as good as you'll get, unless some local crew had other cameras there. Unlikely they would let any civilians get close though.

Don't know why they cut back to the control room every time it goes into cloud, very annoying.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, but I personally felt, the Arianespace stream was of a better quality than NASA TV, despite the really annoying directing. For the short time they broadcast, they also make a fair deal of effort.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Their pictures are good, but they hop all over the place with their direction. At least they got rid of the wobbly web-cam they had nailed to a palm-tree right next to the rocket.

Working on my theory that there is nothing more interesting to a cameraman(tv anyway) than another cameraman, I was suspicous about the control room shot. Yes there's a cameraman, in shot, at the back! Wonder if they get in-shot allowance?

N.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm wondering, what kind of elements are necessary to describe position of an object in Lissajous orbit around a Lagrange point?
I imagine a set of coefficients to the applicable parametric equations, as well as a value of the free parameter for some epoch would provide a first order approximation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve. Beyond that, I expect that a set of state vectors and numerical propagation would be what is actually used for the navigation.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEM76A0P0WF_index_0.html

19 June 2009
Herschel opened its 'eyes' on 14 June and the Photoconductor Array Camera and Spectrometer obtained images of M51, ‘the whirlpool galaxy’ for a first test observation. Scientists obtained images in three colours which clearly demonstrate the superiority of Herschel, the largest infrared space telescope ever flown.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
5 July 2010
ESA PR-15 2010 ESA’s Planck mission has delivered its first all-sky image. It not only provides new insight into the way stars and galaxies form but also tells us how the Universe itself came to life after the Big Bang.

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMF2FRZ5BG_index_0.html

I've renamed this thread, and suggest it be used for the updates for these two missions. If they start generating a lot of info, then they could be split.

N.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Wow - take a look at the image in this article! Truly amazing! :OMG:

BBC News: "Planck telescope reveals ancient cosmic light".

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Here's a Hi-res version of Planck's first all-sky image!
PLANCK_FSM_03_Black.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Astronomy Now: "Herschel seeks out distant galaxies and quasars".

Astronomy Now: "Planck unveils first all-sky map of Universe".

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Spaceflight Now: "Planck sees sky in new light".