HG Wells War of Worlds add-on

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, the movie deviated from the novel, in that when the cylinder opened the war machine was all ready to go. Since I'm sticking to 1953 film hardware, I want to keep the lifting body.

As for being fired out of a cannon, I have a scheme that may tie it all together: the lenticular entry vehicle will be encased in a cylindrical sabot or fairing, which will fall away as the entire stack exits the Martian atmosphere, revealing the entry vehicle and perhaps a propulsion module fo some sort for course corrections, which will be jettisoned shortly before arrival in Earth's atmosphere. My motive for this is that the sabot can serve as a first stage for a multistage.dll vehicle, and the propulsion module can be the upper stage. Under this scheme, the canon is just surface scenery, and the impulse delivered by the "first stage" will be delivered very quickly as it leaves the barrel. If this works, then we get a cannon, a course correction method, and a lifting body entry all in one.

ETA: once the basic setup is complete, anyone who wants to do a more traditional tripod-tech addon will be free to use the cannon and other related meshes. The more Martian war machines the merrier.

Dman1410

Reaction score
for the cylinder opening you could in a way have a multistaged task i.e the first time you press 'j' the top unscrews and the lamp post thing comes out and if possible you can rotate and fire it you press 'J' again the the head goes back in and a bigger section could be shot of or it could be animated to fall to the floor and as soon as that happens the UFO's mesh is created and put in the cylinder as a payload (or the UFO's could be in the cylinder as a payload the whole time) getting back on track the third time you press 'J' the UFO is released (the mesh is created) and then you can fly it around as a ship
What do you think:)good or:(not good

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, here's what the entry vehicle will look like. This is taken from the plans I found on the net, and looks pretty much like what wa in the film. I'm pretty much finished with it, the hard part's going to be to build a .ini file for it with animations for the screw hatch and an aerodynamic model. Although you can't see it, I also cut the top half off of it so that I can open it if I want, although it doesn't look too cool.

picture.php

I suppose that if I want to recreate the famous emergence scene in the movie I will have to animate the heat ray stalk on the war machine, as well. It will need 3 positions: stowed for space transit, vertically extended for peeking out of the cylinder hatch, and normal diagonal position for general purpose earthling killing.