Hi!

Reaction score
I have been quite new at this forum (this is my first post, as my intro is in a blog of mine...oops!) I am now quite open for recommendations. As of now, I am not planning to make anything (or even know how to) and if you are one of the developers I post a message to, please try to not take too much of my demands in all seriousness, as I understand it takes time. I got Orbiter 2010 P1 (obviously) and got a ton of addons now to the point where I don't want to list them. Currently I have a problem with my computer asking me to debug a few of my orbiter scenario while loading and sometimes while I am in one...Hopefully I can fix it. I use a netbook so have restrictions on hardware as they cannot be replaced. On that note, I am still trying to get a USB numpad, as turning on numlock every time to play is really annoying me. Can anyone recommend an addon that works in my version of orbiter and gives a really good asteriod belt between Mars and Jupiter? Also, though not a big fan, I would appreciate if someone can make a cooler (well, a better textured, meshed, etc.) version of space battleship Yamato? And I find the navigation in Orbiterhanger abit...outdated and hard to find what I want sometimes...Thanks for anyone who supported me before!

Update 1:
Oh, yeah, also I want to know: How do you add vehicles into a scenario with Scenario Editor when it is not in Vessel file, but instead, it is in - say - Spacecraft file?

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have been quite new at this forum (this is my first post, as my intro is in a blog of mine...oops!) I am now quite open for recommendations. As of now, I am not planning to make anything (or even know how to) and if you are one of the developers I post a message to, please try to not take too much of my demands in all seriousness, as I understand it takes time. I got Orbiter 2010 P1 (obviously) and got a ton of addons now to the point where I don't want to list them. Currently I have a problem with my computer asking me to debug a few of my orbiter scenario while loading and sometimes while I am in one...Hopefully I can fix it. I use a netbook so have restrictions on hardware as they cannot be replaced. On that note, I am still trying to get a USB numpad, as turning on numlock every time to play is really annoying me. Can anyone recommend an addon that works in my version of orbiter and gives a really good asteriod belt between Mars and Jupiter? Also, though not a big fan, I would appreciate if someone can make a cooler (well, a better textured, meshed, etc.) version of space battleship Yamato? And I find the navigation in Orbiterhanger abit...outdated and hard to find what I want sometimes...Thanks for anyone who supported me before!

Update 1:
Oh, yeah, also I want to know: How do you add vehicles into a scenario with Scenario Editor when it is not in Vessel file, but instead, it is in - say - Spacecraft file?

Ill try to answer a few, good to see you over here with everybody else :thumbup:.

Hmmm asteroid belts,

This one is really cool, although a NEA, not a belt asteroid:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5909"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5909[/ame]

I think this one is pretty good too:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1801"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1801[/ame]

But you'll have to experiment with the various asteroid packs available out there. Most of them tend to overlap, & some are better than others.

As far as the numpad issue, I would recomend springing for a nice full keyboard if you can. A USB numpad will cost almost as much anyways.

Oh, and one other thing: :hailprobe:!

Reaction score
Thanks!:hailprobe:

The first suggestion is...rather strange...Dockable asteroid is nice, but it is strange in this case, and the second is made in 2004....a compatibility issue? The idea on getting a keyboard is a good one, but the only problem is my desk I use my netbook on is rather small and since my device is a netbook, hooking up a new keyboard will make the screen even further away from me...And joystick is not really my preference at this point.
Still needing aid on hooking up Spacecraft file to scenario editor...

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hi, you can't add SC3 files via scenario editor as a rule, i forget why... you can either add them into the scenario file direct (just have a look at an existing scenario file and you'll see how its done) or if its something you use alot you could download the Sc3-dll converter which takes spacecraft3 files and makes a handy zip package of a dll version which you can add via scenario editor
hope that helps ya some

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You can add SC3 craft via scenario editor, but it takes some work on your part. Last I looked (and am at work so really don't have time to dedicate a search for it) there were 2 or 3 threads that told how to do it. The "Artlav Solution" (maybe he should trademark that?) is the easiest way around it.

The Asteroid PACK 1.0 works just fine in Orbiter 2010, or at least I haven't had any trouble with it. I intercepted Ida and Dactyl just a few days ago.

Welcome to the forums BTW, and happy Orbiting!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, hello and thanks! By the way, do anyone know where can I post ideas for a vessel and request it to be made, since I have no experience in the modelling business...
Update:
Never mind about the second part, I found the Addon requests forum..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not sure if the post I made about the request for building an add on is being thought over, as there is no replies...Was I being to critical? If so, sorry...And don't take it seriously...and I don't want to make people feel rushed or obligated to accept the project; all I need is necessary feedback. Should I reclassify it to requests instead of idea? Though I would not force anyone to make it, I would be glad if someone accepts it. If not, I wouldn't mind if someone to tell me what is the problem...

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm.

Scope of your work is pretty large. Let's break it down:

1.) Mesh work:

Not all meshes available for download are good for orbiter. Modeling Yamato from scratch with decent level of detail could take ~50 hours not including VC or texturing (add 50 more for that). Plus you want shuttles (let's make them simpler and take 40 hours for modelling them)

2.) Coding:

Pretty straightforward apart from autoland but still developing proper dynamics and logic for turrets will take time (let's assume 40 hours). We should add another 10 for shuttles (we can derive some code from DG)

Add another few hours for testing (10)

That's around 200 hours of work assuming you're reasonably efficent in developing process. That's 5 weeks of full time work (8 hours a day). So unless you find die hard fan of SC Yamato / Starblazers that happens to know 3d modelling, texturing and c++ coding you'd have to develop it yourself.

Also you've posted request 5 days ago - give it some more time.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
First, :welcome: to the forum!

You can add SC3 craft via scenario editor, but it takes some work on your part. Last I looked (and am at work so really don't have time to dedicate a search for it) there were 2 or 3 threads that told how to do it. The "Artlav Solution" (maybe he should trademark that?) is the easiest way around it.

It's pretty straightforward, though you are still limited to only having one of the vessel in your scenario unless you make a copy of its .ini file and rename it.

Basically:
  1. Copy /Config/Spacecraft/Spacecraft3.cfg to /Config/Vessels.
  2. Launch Orbiter, Start your scenario, and open Scenario Editor.
  3. Click New
  4. Select spacecraft3, then give the vessel the exact same name as its .ini file. Click Create>>

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hmmm.

Scope of your work is pretty large. Let's break it down:

1.) Mesh work:

Not all meshes available for download are good for orbiter. Modeling Yamato from scratch with decent level of detail could take ~50 hours not including VC or texturing (add 50 more for that). Plus you want shuttles (let's make them simpler and take 40 hours for modelling them)

2.) Coding:

Pretty straightforward apart from autoland but still developing proper dynamics and logic for turrets will take time (let's assume 40 hours). We should add another 10 for shuttles (we can derive some code from DG)

Add another few hours for testing (10)

That's around 200 hours of work assuming you're reasonably efficent in developing process. That's 5 weeks of full time work (8 hours a day). So unless you find die hard fan of SC Yamato / Starblazers that happens to know 3d modelling, texturing and c++ coding you'd have to develop it yourself.

Also you've posted request 5 days ago - give it some more time.

So it is a time concern, I understand. I do not want a rushed production, so I won't even mind if it don't show up until a year or so later, as long as it is worth the production time. (Perhaps the delay is due to people watching the series so they can get in touch with the details). And once again, I do not really care about the length of production time.

Also, I feel responsible for explaining a few things. The issue with the shuttle is not an issue at all, as I am merely saying shuttles for size comparison of the hangar, not that I have to have the shuttle in the craft, as I would rather fly my DG in the Yamato/Argo hangar than one of the series based fighter jets...as of now anyway. The Auto-Land function is fully optional, as I do not expect people to get involved with the project and not have fun while doing it. The controllable turrets are also optional, and I really do not expect them to be perfect (as in moving barrel for up/down motion along with the swivel motion - though much appreciated if that was incorporated). Hope this clears up some questions.

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

First, :welcome: to the forum!

It's pretty straightforward, though you are still limited to only having one of the vessel in your scenario unless you make a copy of its .ini file and rename it.

Basically:
  1. Copy /Config/Spacecraft/Spacecraft3.cfg to /Config/Vessels.
  2. Launch Orbiter, Start your scenario, and open Scenario Editor.
  3. Click New
  4. Select spacecraft3, then give the vessel the exact same name as its .ini file. Click Create>>

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I will try it some time!

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Is now a good time to assume that nobody is making the project?

Are you asking about the Yamato? There is a version for Orbiter '05 but I don't know anything about it.

Drop an add-on suggestion over on the "Addon Requests" thread, you may see more action.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is already request posted by OP in Add-on request.

Reaction score
Yeah, already requested it. It has been a while, so I guess I can just assume the least expectations and expect the request takes more time than someone can afford, though, I wonder why can the developers work together as a team to create it. As said there, the '05 version don't really brings out the imagination as some of the models made. So a remake would be in order. If anyone decide to accept (will not track it after today) can someone pop me a message? Thanks.