Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
For suggestions of noteworthy seeds: (I haven't looked at any of these in 1.0.0)
Hail Probe!
Orbiter
Orbiter Forum (not sure if they generate different seeds)
Martin Schweiger
Ravenstar
Vanguard
Altea Aerospace
For the sake of brevity I left out the various combonations like OrbiterForum, Hailprobe (Combinations of spaces, punctuation and caps)

Wally

Reaction score
The problem with seeds is that someone could use that seed to generate the same world on his PC then use some kind o cartographer to see where the gold/diamond is. It wouldn't be a major problem, but a spoiler and would ruin the fun of the game.

Anyway, I would suggest a totally random (and unknown for the public) seed with a totally random spawn point.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Pointless. The seed is visible on the F3 menu.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The problem with seeds is that someone could use that seed to generate the same world on his PC then use some kind o cartographer to see where the gold/diamond is. It wouldn't be a major problem, but a spoiler and would ruin the fun of the game.

Anyway, I would suggest a totally random (and unknown for the public) seed with a totally random spawn point.

I don't see many O-F users abusing this.
I did use the seed to find slimes though. :p

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

As Jango pointed out, the seed is displayed in F3, so there's no point in trying to be obscure. Although, I suppose I could make the seed something like "YouCheater" :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As Jango pointed out, the seed is displayed in F3, so there's no point in trying to be obscure. Although, I suppose I could make the seed something like "YouCheater" :p
That would be hilarious except it's shown as its associated number string in the debug HUD. Besides, YouCheater isn't a particularly interesting world. Only cool thing I found was this:

2011-12-02_17.16.15.png

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Should I start compiling a list of possible 'relevant seeds' and seeing which ones produce interesting formations. I'll be looking at the surface only.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Should I start compiling a list of possible 'relevant seeds' and seeing which ones produce interesting formations. I'll be looking at the surface only.
If you want, but I make no guarantees at this point as to what we'll end up using.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

The stargate site is ready. It's where my tower used to be. No, I did not use any admin powers in the removal of the tower.

Chub777

Reaction score
The stargate site is ready. It's where my tower used to be. No, I did not use any admin powers in the removal of the tower.

Where is your tower...actually where was it? I also have found a bug when entering Nether portals. When stepping in a portal, the text "You don't have access to go here..." comes up in the chatbox. Does this only happen for me?

Shootingiron

Delay forever, or not at all.
Reaction score
Synopsis

I want to start off by saying I'm really excited about the new world and Hielor and Co's efforts to upgrade the server.

But I'm not up to speed on what's happening. Can someone give me a break down of what's going on?

Are we keeping the old world and setting things up so that we can move between the old and the new ones?

If so, how do we do that?

How does an arc work? Do we each collect a survival kit of things to take to the new world?

Also, I seem to be stuck on the Nether, just like chub777 and cannot use any of the portals.

Anything else I should know?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Where is your tower...actually where was it?
Tower is near spawn, on the other side of the stadium from the road. I'll be making a road.
I also have found a bug when entering Nether portals. When stepping in a portal, the text "You don't have access to go here..." comes up in the chatbox. Does this only happen for me?
Bah, this is why I wanted someone else to help me test this, but the server's been pretty dead the last few days. I'm

Are we keeping the old world and setting things up so that we can move between the old and the new ones?
Yes

If so, how do we do that?
A stargate :)

There won't be an ark--that would've been for the "go to new world permanently" option. Since two-way travel will be possible indefinitely, there's no need for an ark.

Also, I seem to be stuck on the Nether, just like chub777 and cannot use any of the portals.
I'm working on this now, if someone would like to get on and help me test it...

Edit: I think I've fixed this...

I present to you...the stargate!
stargate.png

To get to it, follow the road that starts next to the bank and is marked off with obsidian.

Edit again: Pablo confirmed that nether portals are working now--if you're still having trouble, let me know.

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I went on last night on an old laptop just to see if things are as they where and forgot that my last spawn was at my outpost, thank you to who ever has upgraded it.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Wait, with the talk of the stargate being finished and bugs with nether portals I thought the server had been updated to 1.0, so I (re)upgraded, and now I'm getting "Invalid server key" and "outdated server" errors on attempting to connect. Where exactly are we in the process? What has been done, what still needs to be done? I take it that "upgrade to 1.0" is still on the "needs to be done" list?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wait, with the talk of the stargate being finished and bugs with nether portals I thought the server had been updated to 1.0, so I (re)upgraded, and now I'm getting "Invalid server key" and "outdated server" errors on attempting to connect. Where exactly are we in the process? What has been done, what still needs to be done? I take it that "upgrade to 1.0" is still on the "needs to be done" list?
The server uses CraftBukkit, which has not yet been updated to 1.0. They're currently working on it, but until they release a Recommended Build for 1.0 I will not be updating the server.

Despite that, I've been preparing for the new version by doing things like getting the stargate ready and getting the needed server mods installed, which will make the transition to 1.0 (when it happens) much simpler.

Sorry for the confusion.

---------- Post added 12-06-11 at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was 12-05-11 at 17:47 ----------

I'll just leave this here...

http://98.247.36.147:8123/

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow! Is that your world? Oh yeah, I can tell by the giant probe... :lol:

Awesome!
Yes, this is (theoretically) a dynamic map of the world on the server.

Edit: Don't miss the tiny bar on the right side of the page, which allows you to switch between a flat top-down view and an isometric projection.

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
wow my pyramid is massive, i did not appreciate its size in comparison to other constructions on the server.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Whose

/me quickly hides.

Dug out my Minecraft, haven't played in ages. Fortunately I happen to have 1.8.1 installed (Although I last played with 1.5). and hielor already added me (thx! :thumbup:). Connection works \o/.

So I will likely pop in soon; currently still very busy in Orbiter, but I'm looking forward to it. I miss MC :)