Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
yeah, just what i want to do, dig for minutes on end, haul ass away from ghasts, crawl into bed, and turn into kentucky fried extra crispy. this could explain a lot though :hmm:

Pablo49

Reaction score
:huh: perhaps a redesign, if your coordinates are within the nether, the bed doesnt set a spawn point, if they are outside the nether, they set a spawn point. pretty simple im guessing

But then you get people thinking the bed not setting a spawn, or not making you sleep is a bug. Besides, Notch likes to add some silly things, like lighting making pigmen and charged creepers.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Is anybody else having trouble reaching the server? I can't reach it with either Minecraft or ping.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What the hell, I'll check on it, give me a couple minutes.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

I restarted the server and was able to connect to it just fine now. No restore-from-backup was necessary.

Logs showed that it was throwing errors about being out of memory and having no heap space, which makes me suspect it was a memory leak or something in Minecraft, since the server normally runs at under 500MB of usage and has 4GB available to it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Started a cactus farm in the nether station. We should build some opportunistic traps. Sadly there's no way to get water down there and pigmen spawn everywhere, so we can't make autogrinders.) They drop cooked pork (or bacon, depending on texture pack :)), so it might be possible to be self-sufficient food-wise if enough pigmen wander into the cactus traps.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
A few screenies:

Elmerfudddied finished his underlava house:

LavaHouseFinished.png

Our pit so far (actually slightly out of date):

Screenshot-Minecraft.png

And our indoor chicken farm (we also have an outdoor one with about half as many chickens so far):

Chickens.png

Hielor: is this too many chickens? I don't want to overwork the server.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A few screenies:

Elmerfudddied finished his underlava house:

LavaHouseFinished.png

Our pit so far (actually slightly out of date):

Screenshot-Minecraft.png

And our indoor chicken farm (we also have an outdoor one with about half as many chickens so far):

Chickens.png

Hielor: is this too many chickens? I don't want to overwork the server.
What exactly do you people need so many chickens for? This is at least the fourth chicken farm I've heard of, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the lack of other passive mobs around the server is at least partially due to so many "spawn slots" being taken up with chickens...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
What exactly do you people need so many chickens for? This is at least the fourth chicken farm I've heard of,

As far as the number of chicken farms, I think the desire to have something local to one's own work area is probably a big part of it. Elmerfudddied started our chicken farm, so I'm not exactly sure why he wanted one.

As far as the number of chickens on our farm, I at least was going for a population that could support a fairly high kill rate (since a larger population will replace a given number of kills faster), in order to get a good supply of feathers for arrows. Then I realized that we might have a bit too many, thus asking here.

and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the lack of other passive mobs around the server is at least partially due to so many "spawn slots" being taken up with chickens...

That's a possibility, though it may also have to do with animals now being persistent, and having been killed off in many areas.

Anyways, I'll notify Elmerfudddied and kill our farms down to a more reasonable population.

Shinrar

Reaction score
That's a possibility, though it may also have to do with animals now being persistent, and having been killed off in many area.

Is this why, in single player, I have nae a cow/pig/chicken for miles around my spawn....? Ccuurrsseess. I wish I had read more clearly the changelog to realize I was killing off my food supply. Time to grow a Wheat Farm I guess.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
This is due to:
A) the number of chicken farms
B) the persistence of passive mobs
c) the incredibly slow spawn rate of passive mobs

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As far as the number of chickens on our farm, I at least was going for a population that could support a fairly high kill rate (since a larger population will replace a given number of kills faster), in order to get a good supply of feathers for arrows. Then I realized that we might have a bit too many, thus asking here.
What do you need so many arrows for? Each feather makes four arrows, so each chicken is good for 4-8 arrows...and it only takes 3 arrows to kill something now if you let the bow draw all the way back.

Are you spelunking around in the dark and running into so many hostile mobs? Are you running a mob grinder with manual arrow-shooting as the kill method?

Sorry if that sounds a bit abrasive, and I'm not targetting you personally--I just don't see the need for so many chickens. Personally, I get enough feathers for arrows from zombies that I kill...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
What do you need so many arrows for? Each feather makes four arrows, so each chicken is good for 4-8 arrows...and it only takes 3 arrows to kill something now if you let the bow draw all the way back.

Are you spelunking around in the dark and running into so many hostile mobs? Are you running a mob grinder with manual arrow-shooting as the kill method?

Sorry if that sounds a bit abrasive, and I'm not targetting you personally--I just don't see the need for so many chickens. Personally, I get enough feathers for arrows from zombies that I kill...

Heheh. It takes only two arrows to kill creepers anyhow, and I use swords on everything else. And...zombies don't drop feathers in 1.8 :p
Chickens seem like a good food source, but I just eat bread.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
What do you need so many arrows for? Each feather makes four arrows,

Ugh... I keep forgetting about those multipliers.

so each chicken is good for 4-8 arrows...and it only takes 3 arrows to kill something now if you let the bow draw all the way back.

They still drop feathers? I thought all they dropped now was rotten meat... (And the Wiki seems to back that up).

Anyways, I just cut the indoor flock down to 10 birds or so and eliminated the outdoor flock.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ugh... I keep forgetting about those multipliers.
They still drop feathers? I thought all they dropped now was rotten meat... (And the Wiki seems to back that up).

Anyways, I just cut the indoor flock down to 10 birds or so and eliminated the outdoor flock.
I guess I've been getting all of my arrows from skeletons, and haven't actually had to make any.

Thanks for paring it down some.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
did anyone make a youtube guide of the server? since i wont be playing for months (the nick has changed) id kinda like to see what you hot-shot space cowboys have been up to. Outside of pictures you dont really get a grasp of how it all fits together (at least i dont)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
there is a map, somewhere above, but its out of date, very large, and not in a very usable format.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
nono, ive seen the above mentioned map. I was wondering if any has attempted to make a 'well, this is our server...here's all the stuff on here' kinda video.