How calculate semi-latus rectum of parabola or hyperbola?

Kolodez

Reaction score
The semi-latus rectum is necessary for the formula
radius = semi-latus rectum / (1 + eccentricity * cos (true anomaly)).
However, if we refer to Wikipedia, we need to know the semi-major axis to calculate the semi-latus rectum. But the semi-major axis is only defined for circles and ellipses, if I am not getting it wrong.
So assume I am in a parabolic or hyperbolic orbit and I know my current location, velocity, true anomaly, specific energy, eccentricity and the periapsis radius. How can I calculate the semi-latus rectum from these values in order to be able to calculate future locations?
Thank you!

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
But the semi-major axis is only defined for circles and ellipses, if I am not getting it wrong.
AFAIK semi-major axis is defined for any conic sections, not just circles and ellipses, as @n72.75 has already pointed out.

Kolodez

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! So if I have a hyperbola, I can also use the formula
semi-major axis = - G * major body mass / (2 * orbit specific energy)
and the semi-major axis is then negative, whereas it is positive in the case of an ellipse, right? And that yields the same formula for the semi-latus rectum, i.e.
semi-latus rectum = semi-major axis * (1 - eccentricity^2)
no matter if we have an ellipse or a hyperbola.
But in the case of a parabola, the above formulas lead to
semi-major-axis = infinity,
semi-latus rectum = infinity * 0
which makes impossible to calculate the semi-latus rectum. Did I make an error anywhere?

Kolodez

Reaction score

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Semi-latus rectum = 2 * periapsis radius
This is wrong.

periapsis radius = Semi-latus rectum / ( 1 + eccentricity )

Parabola in orbital mechanics in the Orbiter is something that you can forget. Doesn't really exists in practice.

Kolodez

Reaction score
I looked into the Orbiter manual once again. We have
semi-major axis = - G * major body mass / (2 * orbit specific energy),
eccentricity = sqrt (1 + 2 * orbit specific energy * h^2 / (G^2 * major body mass^2))

Hence
semi-latus rectum = semi-major axis * (1 - eccentricity^2)
= - G * major body mass / (2 * orbit specific energy) * ( - 2 * orbit specific energy * h^2 / (G^2 * major body mass^2))
= h^2 / (G * major body mass)

where h = radius x velocity. Since everything is continuous, we can use this for any eccentricity. Is this correct?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since everything is continuous, we can use this for any eccentricity. Is this correct?
Yes. I don't recall any functions in orbital mechanics those would be limited to elliptical or hyperbolic orbits only, except the ones that deal with eccentric-anomaly "EcA" in which case hyperbolic versions of the functions must use hyperbolic "sin, cos" instead i.e. sinh cosh