Question How did you get addicted to space?

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Hello, i am wondering how you got addicted to space? For me, it began when i met Buzz aldrin and got his autograph. Still have that napkin. The only bad thing is i told him i wasnt intested in space beacuse i was scared of heights :embarrassed:. Although i was only 7 so yeah. It just took off from there really.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Star Trek Voyager I guess:). But I'm not 100% sure about that, cause it was a quite time ago :)

Turbinator

Reaction score
Similar, yet different. This one deals with the nucleus, the genesis, the inception of ones interest in all things space.

For me it was a culmination of different events. There was Star Trek: Voyager, and a number of very solid Sci-Fi films. The awe and wonder of looking up at the night sky as a kid, and then learning about it in school (in Europe). Listening to my older relatives in university talk about the sun, the planets, and orbits, and imagining how all this looked like in my head. The attraction of the unknown, the technology, and then once I discovered the internet, the huge influx of human space-flight photography. The deep space probes. All of it.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a book I got at my school library at age 10, it kinda ebbed away around age 12, but I got back into space over summer, I think simply because I decided to do Orbiter again out of boredom, and now I'm here.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Similar, yet different. This one deals with the nucleus, the genesis, the inception of ones interest in all things space.

For me it was a culmination of different events. There was Star Trek: Voyager, and a number of very solid Sci-Fi films. The awe and wonder of looking up at the night sky as a kid, and then learning about it in school (in Europe). Listening to my older relatives in university talk about the sun, the planets, and orbits, and imagining how all this looked like in my head. The attraction of the unknown, the technology, and then once I discovered the internet, the huge influx of human space-flight photography. The deep space probes. All of it.
:goodposting:

Unstung already said it somewhere else, but you do sound like Carl Sagan. :thumbup:

--

Somewhat less poetic response: I'm not really addicted to space. The only thing I'm addicted to is chocolate milk. I do harbour a certain love of complexity and complicated machines, which both apply extremely to outer space, and am willing to admit that there's some sort of romance to the concept of an endless void containing absolutely everything. You asked me at a bad time in the annual manic-depressive cycle. Come again in June and I'll write you a ballad about it. :lol:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
My interset in space started after my interset in deep sea exploreration and science fiction when I was 13 - 15 years old. Then came various documentary films about spaceflight which continued to fuel my interest in space exploreration - that's how it all began.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
My interset in space started after my interset in deep sea exploreration and science fiction when I was 13 - 15 years old. Then came various documentary films about spaceflight which continued to fuel my interest in space exploreration - that's how it all began.

And now you are flying to low earth orbit with ease from the comfort of your home.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I believe for me it was a combination of some space books i read from a young age, and a healthy interest in aircraft that matured in to space craft.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Heh, I did some reaserch and it wasn't well at least it could't be Star Trek: Voyager. I can't belief how could I even forget about that:facepalm:. The very first thing that attracted my attention to space, space flights and sci-fi were a series of short stories called: "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" by Polish sci-fi writer Stanisław Lem. It was an obligatory reading when I was in elementary school and it was something like two years before Star Trek was aired in TV(in Poland of course :)). Anyway the USS Voyager also played significant role in my interest in space stuff but those stories however were first:).

Keatah

Reaction score
When I was with my gramma eating a corned-beef sandwich in a small coffee-shop joint named Kaplan's. I must have been or 7 or 8 and positively in the second grade. I got to reading my science book, and I still remember till today a graphic of the Sun, with the Earth and Moon going around it, somehow depicting the axis tilt for seasons I think.

That, the rush of caffeine from root-beer, the french fries, the sandwich filling an empty stomach, getting a new calculator later that day, gramma, the cute tight waitress, the air-conditioning, getting out of school early that day. All culminated in making it a neat California afternoon. Reading my science book completed the day. I've loved space stuff ever since!

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
The very first thing that attracted my attention to space, space flights and sci-fi were a series of short stories called: "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" by Polish sci-fi writer Stanisław Lem. It was an obligatory reading when I was in elementary school

Oh wow! That's something I'd rather like to have on my obligatory reading list (in contrast to Dostoyevsky! :lol:)

:hello:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My interest in spaceflight really started after watching Challenger explode as kid. Was the first time I ever read a newspaper as well in my life. Since then, I was a spaceflight fan... strangely, before Challenger I never even considered becoming astronaut, after seven of then died, I was sure that this was the right job for me. Which boy doesn't like taming and riding dragons?

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
I'd have to say STS-1 Space Shuttle Columbia's maiden voyage. And if the live coverage on TV wasnt cool enough then the return trip to edwards and the sonic boom shaking and rattling of the patio doors in southern california (earthquake country)at 10 years old was a life changing moment for me.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Oh wow! That's something I'd rather like to have on my obligatory reading list (in contrast to Dostoyevsky! :lol:)

Then I guess I can consider myself a lucky with that one:). And about Dostoyevsky, well it's just different kind of literature that would not bring you closer to space stuff:lol: but it's good in it's own way:thumbup:.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've always been interested in space. One of my drawings from when I was very young was of an Apollo rocket. I lost interest as I got older then got it back into spaceflight when the ISS construction started.