Question How did you get addicted to space?

Alnor

Phisycally, still trekker
Reaction score
When I saw on TV sci-fi movie "Moscow - Cassiopeia", when I was young, that movie opened for me doors to space. Then I've looked for Star Trek:The Original Series, Battlestar Galactica 1978 and only then I understood that my life now: space and fiction stories.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
STS-1 for me as well. I remember watching it as a kid. I had (and still have) a little plaque that had one of those 'changing' pictures that switch when you look at it from a different angle. One picture was the launch, the other was just before main gear touchdown.

I also remember watching the Challenger accident on a fuzzy black and white TV in 5th grade. Those two things, combined with my dad letting me stay up one night and watch Silent Running when I was around 6 years old, began my love for anything related to space.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lots of things, really. When I was a kid, sci-fi stories in the Tekhnika-Molodezhi (Technology for the Young) magazine, including spaceflight simulation on a programmable calculator... After growing up a bit, books about Apollo and Soviet space exploration. Meeting people from the industry. Going to museums with incredibly powerful flying machines on display.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
In a nation which still supresses free speech and creativity, dreaming and leaning about spaceflight is not only revolutionary.

It's a weapon with which to destroy those opposing free speech and creativity - because they'll never understand what I'm doing :D

Thus Orbiter has symbiolic meaning! The same strategy is effective in various other fields related to that MMORPG called "Real Life" (tm).

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
To be honest, I have no clue, heck I'm afraid of flying! :lol:
Although I do know what restarted my interest, shortly before I rejoined the forums for school we went to IMAX to watch Space Station 3D, that got me into it again, I'm not sure what got my interest to start with though.

On a similar note to my story, I might be going to watch Hubble 3D, maybe that can re-restart my interest. (I haven't played Orbiter in a while :p)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On a similar note to my story, I might be going to watch Hubble 3D, maybe that can re-restart my interest. (I haven't played Orbiter in a while :p)
I dunno, Orbiter's Hubble is a bit underwhelming after an IMAX presentation. :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean Space Station 3D wasn't filmed with fraps!? :cry: :lol:
It wasn't, but it easily could have been:

Thorton_ISS_OGLA2010_FullShadow.jpg

(From this post by FordPrefect)

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can't be sure when it started for me - I missed pretty much all the big defining moments in space history. I think it was a combination of watching the fledgling ISS sailing over in the early 2000's, watching Mars Odyssey launch in 2001, then coming home to the UK and learning all about it, doing some basic astronomy with my Dad, learning space facts from him, and later developing an interest in aviation, which led to space when I first played Orbiter. My interest in space has also developed slightly so that my main passion is astronomy, but I guess they are very similar things.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
For me it actually came two years ago, when I watched a programme about Apollo on the BBC and James May had a flight in a U2 :)

Soon after that I just read about everything to do with Apollo on wikipedia, and then afterwards read about the Soviet programmes. I always found it hard to get excited about the Shuttle and the ISS in the early days, especially after watching From the Earth to the Moon.

Soon after that I watched a live stream of the STS-130 launch, and my little brother was starting to get interested in space too, building lego shuttles and what not. I have always loved cars, and so I really appreciate the engineering behind everything, but the thing I love the most about it is the Human factor in Human Space Flight, listening to the crew and watching them float around is just awe inspiring! I love watching Mike Massimino's Behind the Scenes videos on NASA TV.

I remember being quite peed off when Constellation went down the pan, but now i'm glad it did, theres just so much that could happen in the next twenty years, and I will be starting university next year doing Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics. Can't bloody wait!