How do you make your brain better/have a better memory?

Carl

Reaction score
Ok so i ain`t a very smart person, and i`ve a bit of a crap memory and can`t think that good e.g do good mental maths in like 10 secs it`d take me like 20 mins lol and so i`m hoping you guys can help me have a better memory and a better brain in general.How can you become smart? can you be smarter/have a better memory by eating certain foods.If you have any tips please say so.
Please help me as my memory sucks pretty bad.

:cheers:

Carl

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My old German teacher once said some wise words... "Your brain is like a muscle - you need to train it".

Food can have some short term effects, but on the long run, you only get better with practicing. And stay away from mind-altering drugs or heavy weight class boxing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Then switch it off... a computer is a tool. Doing things without a computer is really a challenge to your brain and such challenges improve it. If you can look into wikipedia for every answer you seek, you will never have to remember knowledge.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Read something clever and then explain it to a friend. I recommend "The Varieties of Scientific Experience" by Carl Sagan, it's clever but not very difficult. Then you explain what you read to someone. Two things happen:

1. This person thinks you're very clever

2. You discover new stuff

Your brain thus gets some exercise.

Carl

Reaction score
i think my brain is getting some "exercise" by tringto play orbiter :lol: i`m still trying to work out the buttons, my astronaut went for a space walk without a harness and in high orbit rofl.I was actually thinking about getting back into my astronomy and start reading about the solar system and meteors and satelites.

Thanks for all your help.

spaceranger

Reaction score
What Urwumpe said, basically. People don't go to the gym and lift weights so that they can then go out into the "real" world and use their training to lift other bars with heavy objects on the end, they go to the gym and lift weights to build their muscles up which can then be used for whatever you can use muscles for.

Same thing with intelligence. Use it, it develops. Even if you fail or make a mistake (rather, ESPECIALLY if you fail or make a mistake) it develops.

One key tactic I use is to 'check my head' whenever I'm considering something, i.e. take an inventory of my assumptions. Then, I assume that all of my assumptions can't be taken for granted, and I explore a problem or concept without taking my assumptions for granted. That allows me to look for and ask questions that I might not think to ask if I was taking all of my assumptions on faith.

I think Einstein was right about imagination and intelligence. Or rather, I think that imagination + memory is effectively equivalent to describing human intelligence, as if a human can't imagine something, they probably can't describe it or work with it very well. Consider a person (we'll call this person 'A') who calls another person (we'll call this person 'B') for advice on a problem with their car. Person B happens to be a car mechanic, person A is not. Person B can't see or touch the car engine, and person A has no idea what they're talking about. The only way person B can help at all here is if they can imagine the car, the possible problems with the car and also how to phrase questions that person A can effectively address (without having any useful knowledge about the subject).

It's far too early in the day, and I've have far too little sleep to be responding to a post like this ... :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Read something clever and then explain it to a friend. I recommend "The Varieties of Scientific Experience" by Carl Sagan, it's clever but not very difficult. Then you explain what you read to someone. Two things happen:

1. This person thinks you're very clever

2. You discover new stuff

Your brain thus gets some exercise.
3. When this person asks you some questions in return, you will gain a better understanding of the topic. Or else you put postulate number 1 at risk ;)

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Agreed, that's why the other person is essential. If you don't have any friends with enough patience or interest, that's when you get back to Orbiter-forum and talk with the interesting folk here.

bujin

Reaction score
You can learn to use your memory more efficiently by reading stuff by (for example) Tony Buzan. He has a range of books on how to memorise things, "mind mapping", etc...

And if you want to learn better mental arithmetic, try Arthur Benjamin's [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Mental-Math-Mathemagicians-Calculation/dp/0307338401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212484395&sr=8-1]Secrets of Mental Math[/ame].

But as the others have said, it's all down to practise. You won't become a memory man or rapid calculator overnight.

Carl

Reaction score
Experiment with lots of Orbiter simulations.;)
lol that`s true, i`m still struggling with the buttons/controls lol,i can launch and orbit,but i can`t reenter.Is funny when you first go to launch and you`re trying to find the launch key and you press the H key( i think) and your rockets just sooom of into the air and you start to fall backwards lol.