How feasible are composite launch vehicle components?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
This article got me thinking...

How profitable, and how feasible is it to construct "critical" rocket components from composite materials? Such components being payload fairings, interstages, or as the article focuses on, propellant tanks.

Any application such components would/could be used in?

img_0505a.jpg

EDIT: Specifically, are there any possible future applications of composite material on a LV where it isn't already? Like that aforementioned propellant tank, since no LV uses a purely composite tank...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Very feasible - they are already used in many launchers. For the H-2 for example, the use of composites for the interstage did not only reduce a lot of weight, but also reduce the costs.

And the Ariane 5 has also many composite parts, for example the secondary payload fairings. And many solid rocket motors are made of composites, filament-wound graphite is a standard for many smaller motors, the ESA currently learns making them for bigger motors in the VEGA project.

Last edited:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I may have been a little too vague with my question... :facepalm:

I know composites are used, but I was trying to ask if it would be feasible to use composite where they are not used today. A better way to put this would be, for example, whether or not, a payload fairing could be made primarily of composites and not shatter at Max Q or whether or not that aforementioned composite tank can handle the stresses of...well, being a rocket tank.

For the H-2 for example, the use of composites for the interstage did not only reduce a lot of weight, but also reduce the costs

I did not know the H-2 used composites in its interstage, however, the Falcon 9 makes use of a "carbon fiber aluminum core composite structure" interstage.

Still gonna have to edit that question..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know composites are used, but I was trying to ask if it would be feasible to use composite where they are not used today. A better way to put this would be, for example, whether or not, a payload fairing could be made primarily of composites and not shatter at Max Q or whether or not that aforementioned composite tank can handle the stresses of...well, being a rocket tank.

You can make everything out of composites, that is not subject to high dynamic loads (vibrations). Everything that can cause delamination has to be avoided. Aerodynamic heating can be a problem for example, but there are composites that work fine for payload fairings.

The Ariane 5 for example uses aluminum honeycomb structures with composite external panels for its fairing, with cork noise protection.

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Composite use

Composites can be used just about anywhere but in some uses they can be VERY expensive compared to the metal equivalent. And then there are some parts that composites can't be used for because the tolerances aren't tight enough. Cryogenic compressors and high temperature turbopump blades come to mind as 2 places where metal components are still easier/faster/cheaper to make.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Composites can be used just about anywhere but in some uses they can be VERY expensive compared to the metal equivalent. And then there are some parts that composites can't be used for because the tolerances aren't tight enough. Cryogenic compressors and high temperature turbopump blades come to mind as 2 places where metal components are still easier/faster/cheaper to make.

Then, it has to be said, that any combination of different material types can form a composite.

Maybe, and that is meant purely hypothetical as in "science fiction", with 3D printing, we could produce composite turbine blades of metal with embedded carbon fibers for higher rotation speeds.

Or we get combustion chambers made of special concrete (which is also a composite material).

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Maybe, and that is meant purely hypothetical as in "science fiction", with 3D printing, we could produce composite turbine blades of metal with embedded carbon fibers for higher rotation speeds.

Nanotubes. :) :cheers:

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
Then, it has to be said, that any combination of different material types can form a composite.

Meh, that is not quite true. A composite is made of a matrix and fiber. You have to have distinc properties between the two. Metal alloys are made of more than one material (like Fe and C), but they are not composite material. You have to be able to differentiate the two componants in the composite.

Usually, the fiber part is really strong in tension/compression. The matrix part hold them all together and provide a certain stiffness in flexion.

That being said, both your exemple are indeed composite materials, but I'm not sure about the usefullness of having carbon fiber inside metal for a turbin blade. It all depends what are the loads on your blades, and with a good core material, I'm fairly sure it could be possible to make full carbon fiber turbin blades.

Also, we have to keep in mind that composite is not only about carbon fiber. There are numerous metal and ceramic composite out there, the only problem is that they are expensive as hell...

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
You can make everything out of composites, that is not subject to high dynamic loads (vibrations). Everything that can cause delamination has to be avoided. Aerodynamic heating can be a problem for example, but there are composites that work fine for payload fairings.

Nanotubes, like MaverickSawyer said. Though I wonder if that would be overly expensive...

For a high stress component like a turbopump, which is spinning at who knows how many rotations per minute, composites might not be a good choice, even if used indirectly. "Science fiction" or not...

As a matter of fact, using composites in a "dynamic component" (e.g. it's spinning, like a turbine) is probably not a very good thing to do, until you get some technological maturity with that. Composites are better used in "static components", one that don't move (e.g. propellant tank, interstage, fairing, payload attach fitting, the list goes on). Composites are used on in such ways today (though not to the extent I'm going for). :)

Even the Dream Chaser uses composites in a static composite (e.g its airframe).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Meh, that is not quite true. A composite is made of a matrix and fiber.

Not quite true - the correct Definition is: Made of two or more materials with different properties, that together form a new material, that behaves unlike the initial components.

A metal alloy usually isn't a Composite, because you can't form an alloy with metals that have too different properties.

jtgreen

Reaction score
It is very feasible with 3d metal printing. Roots of 3d printing are getting stronger and stronger day by day. Mixing different materials with mass manufacturing is possible with 3d printing. 3d printing provides advantages like high sustainability, less wastage, cost efficient,etc. Commercial aviation, military aviation, power generation and many more industries are adopting 3d printing services.