Hurricane Irene

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Made a topic regarding this nasty storm. according to the NWS, its going to make a direct hit to New York City. and Suggesting people living there need to evacuate. Talk about more here. Recent the ISS flew over the storm and took this shot. they are aware of the storm too as they cant do anything but watch.
hurricane-irene--e3e51c031903f0cc.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It'll even make it all the way up here, which isn't common. By then it should only be some wind+rain for a few days, though. Good luck to any Orbinauts in Irene's path.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Luckily we have no such storms here. The hail storm of yesterday slowly turns out to have possibly been a tornado, there is a lot of damage in the forests between my village another one, and in the other village, there are even knocked over walls in a very tiny region between completely undamaged and damaged houses.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Luckily we have no such storms here. The hail storm of yesterday slowly turns out to have possibly been a tornado, there is a lot of damage in the forests between my village another one, and in the other village, there are even knocked over walls in a very tiny region between completely undamaged and damaged houses.

Tornado in Germany? That's a once-in-a-million-year occurring.

On a side note, I'll be getting the heck out of Portland Maine in a few hours and heading for upstate New York.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because you live in germeny which you are lucky. at least you have your dog and your lab room

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Funny fact, Irene is going to make it's way into my region (Eastern Quebec) and pass right smack over a small village in which my wife and I own a summer cottage: Sainte-Irène (feminine Saint) and a regional ski resort, Val-D'irène. ... What were the odds? :p

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Tornado in Germany? That's a once-in-a-million-year occurring.

Ahem...We have about 100 every year. That is still ten times less than what the USA see, but enough in this closely populated country to give you a pretty good chance to see one in your lifetime without actively seeking them.

http://www.tornadoliste.de/

EDIT: But not here and today... some large and fast rotations on the underside of a thunderstorm front here, but all just turbulence.

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I live in southern Atlantic County NJ...less than a quarter-mile from the Cape May County line which the state has ordered evacuated as of 6 A.M. local time. 100,000 full time residents plus 3 - 4 times that many tourists all trying to leave the area. Traffic is a nightmare, but nothing like the one that's on it's way.

After Irene leaves North Carolina, she's headed back out over open ocean where she's expected to gain strength again (probable Catagory 3 to 4 by the time it reaches us) and expected to slam into Cape May around 10 P.M. Saturday night.

The barrier islands (Ocean City, Atlantic City & Brigantine) are evacuating as we speak. With projected winds of 130 - 155 mph and being less than a mile from the shoreline and having inlets & bays on 3 sides of me with tidal surges expected up to 11 feet above ground level (and just to keep it really interesting, the tide will be coming in just as the storm moves north), we're sh_ _ ting bricks :shifty:.

We're battened down pretty well, but anticipate being without power 2 - 3 days. Only ever been through 1 other hurricane and they're NOT fun.

Best wishes to everyone else along the storm track. Be safe...

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Saturn V and others, small reminders:

Don't forget to do oil changes for the generator if you have one before the storm and have enough supplies to do another one after 48 hours of operation. Also, it's not necessary to keep it running 24 hours a day, unless it is to power sump pumps to prevent water damage and flooding inside. You can save a lot of power (and fuel) by power sharing equipment, a concept familiar to space-enthusiasts following deep space missions! Fill your freezers with icepacks and tap water bottles filled to about 4/5 of capacity. That will serve as thermal mass to keep frozen food cool AND be useful for drinking water.

If you have a limited power available from the generator, plug your fridge 4 times a day for 2 hours on / 4 hours off... Put the freezers on full blast BEFORE mains power is out, and for freezer-only type of applicances, plug them in 2 hours on / 10 hours off two times a day while on emergency power. Use those times to charge up cellphone and rechargeable batteries for radios, LED flashlights, etc. That way you optimize the use of the generator, by enabling it to shutdown for some down periods for refueling, maintenance.

If you absolutely feel the urge to use LCD TVs, DVD players and other sensitive equipment while on generator power to have some relief from the stressful situation, it is highly advisable to use a UPS to power those, as the generator can swing in frequencies and voltage, specially under varying load conditions, which can damage the electronics! The UPS will take care of not letting those swings get to your equipment!

And finally, PLEASE, don't get in harm's way to have your 5 minutes of fame on Youtube. Yeah, it's cool to see a car tossed around by a gust of wind, but we don't want to have to name bases on Titan in your honor because you got hit by a flying splintered 2x4 in the back of the head!

Godspeed to everyone on the East Coast.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, if you did proper maintenance on a sturdy two-stroke generator pack, it should also run for 4 days without changing oil, but remember that the fuel mixture with oil is crucial then.

What you should NOT do at all, is letting it run while the hurricane is devastating your place. combustion engines and bad weather are never a good combination and it is much better having a generator for the days after the storm, then for a few hours into the storm before it gets damaged.

Prepare it good, make everything storm-proof and store the generator close to you without running it, keep everything sealed watertight just in case rain or flooding gets in. a hurricane will pass over your place in about 1-1.5 days, that is a time that you can survive without electricity except battery power at all. But afterwards, it can take up to 8 days until electricity grids are restored again - then you will be really glad to have your generator in good shape and able to run for weeks with proper maintenance.

No One

Reaction score
Good luck to everyone on the east coast.

Stay Safe! :salute:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Well, if you did proper maintenance on a sturdy two-stroke generator pack, it should also run for 4 days without changing oil.

I've seen Detroit gen-sets that go through almost a gallon an hour.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
I live right in the path of the eye of Irene near Virginia Beach, Virginia & honestly I don't think Irene is going to be as bad as the news is portraying it to be, as compared to previous hurricanes. It'll only be a Category 1 when it blows over... Sometimes i even like to stand outside under a shelter and watch all the rain come down; it's a little calming...

The thing i hate about hurricanes, is how crazy and barbaric people get when preparing to stay, and not evacuating... I was getting my normal weekly amount of gas, and the pumps were at at least 3 or 4 cars deep PER pump... It was crazy! My thinking is why are you getting gas for your car if you cant use it, and you cant go anywhere because you'll be trapped at home...:dry: I also couldn't find ice ANYWHERE, and when i went to work today at my local McDonald's, it was INSANE! All day the rest of the crew and I were going at 500%... It's like: "Why in the world are you people getting fast food, when you should be stocking up, and being AT HOME, or at least a few states inland... I mean geez!"
[/rant]

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've seen Detroit gen-sets that go through almost a gallon an hour.

Over 3l per hour??? The army stuff here runs at approx 80% power for about two-three hour with that amount of fuel and oil. Good enough for powering a small workshop and communication gear.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just got the first rain here in the metro area. God bless us all in NY.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The barrier islands (Ocean City, Atlantic City & Brigantine) are evacuating as we speak. With projected winds of 130 - 155 mph and being less than a mile from the shoreline and having inlets & bays on 3 sides of me with tidal surges expected up to 11 feet above ground level (and just to keep it really interesting, the tide will be coming in just as the storm moves north), we're sh_ _ ting bricks :shifty:.

No wonder. I used to have family on Brigantine. The whole place is maybe 4 ft above sea level on a calm day. Getting everybody evacuated is not going to be easy, either. It doesn't take a big storm to get the water up there.

We're battening down the hatches here on the Massachusetts south coast. It will be close to high tide here when Irene hits us as well, so flooding will be a problem. We've had a lot of rain lately and so the ground capacity to take in more is limited.

Keep safe and dry.