hypothetical hyperspace stuff for that book I mentioned earlier

Archabacteria

Reaction score
Not much hydrogen in (our) air, except for water vapour, and water brings the right ratio of oxygen for a hydrogen explosion with it. Maybe something they can only do at a certain humidity, that could put an interesting restraint on their super-powers.
Makes more sense than being able to control the strong and weak nuclear forces, at least. And probably costs less energy. Would it be low energy enough that say, a human's metabolism could power it? Assuming that they are eating an athlete's diet or something like that (high energy and stuff)

As for atmosphere, I'm thinking 15% Oxygen (can afford to do that because of the high pressure), 83-ish percent Neon (could replace with Argon, same results- noble gases don't cause decompression sickness (by forming bubbles, which Nitrogen will do) if I heard right, either that or it's just good at not doing nitrogen narcosis.), and 2% other gases (water vapor, CO2 and such).

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Argon isn't very common astrophysics wise. Nitrogen would be a far better option, unless you want them to step out of their pressurised spacecraft quickly. Then some sort of noble gas would be a potential option. But it generally wouldn't be very scientifically plausible.

Archabacteria

Reaction score
Alright. Nitrogen it is, with noble gases being used on spaceships possibly.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Original thread is somewhere down there.

Basically, for a part of the book, the main method of interstellar travel involves 'phasing' into an alternate universe where c=10 trillion km per second (incidentally, I decided after knowing this, but rather randomly and not based on any logic, that the night sky would be almost white due to the light coming in from everywhere- feel free to say that this is completely inaccurate) and I wanted to know what this would change between universes besides the speed of light being much higher, such as other forces being weaker or stronger, or, put another way: what would have to change for light to go that fast?

As for how that makes a difference in how fast they can go, I have some other hypothetical stuff that somehow manipulates gravity fields to achieve acceleration. Don't ask how. And yeah, they can only accelerate and decelerate when fairly close to a massive body.

I have one question: What happens when you drop out of hyperspace... It may take a lot longer for one to reach c_a than it would take if you traveled to your destination... Just as a suggestion if someone drops out of hyperspace at a speed faster than c they turn into a bunch of gamma rays due to Cherenkov radiation...

Archabacteria

Reaction score
I have one question: What happens when you drop out of hyperspace... It may take a lot longer for one to reach c_a than it would take if you traveled to your destination... Just as a suggestion if someone drops out of hyperspace at a speed faster than c they turn into a bunch of gamma rays due to Cherenkov radiation...

The rest of the thread was spent trying to get me not to use a faster than light system. This doesn't matter now, since I've moved on to 'space is smaller in general' rather than 'light is faster'.

But, if you really wanted an answer, the original answer was that the ship emits the rest of the energy as tachyons.

Eagle1Division

Reaction score
Plausible FTL

I've absolutely fallen in love with This Article!

It's very difficult to follow; but I'll sum it up as much as I understood it...
I'll refer to some of the figures in the article, though.

It's sort of like space is smaller, except instead of making it smaller, you're traveling along an angled plane. Look at Figure 1. Imagine you're traveling along the hyperdimensional plane "xu" (instead of x and y, use u and x), and stay within the speed of light on that plane, but your location in regular space, plane "xy", is a projection of your position on plane "xu".
Mmm - when I say projection think of it like a shadow. I've got a flashlight above and to the right of the figure, you're on the x-u plane, and where you are in normal space, is where your shadow falls on the xy plane.
Now, as you rotate plane xu so that it's steeper and steeper, a smaller amount of movement on plane xu is a much larger amount of movement on plane xy.
Normally, there's no "steepness", and plane xu, the one you travel on, is the same as plane xy. The FTL method works by rotating the xu plane, and you traveling along it.

That's sort of the physics behind it, to be honest I might be way off, but that's what I got out of it, and probably the closest thing to intuitively understanding it.

How it's done is by using a sort of Conditioned Electro-Magnetic field to create a Vacuum Polarization. To me, that's technobabble, but apparently it's real technobabble, I just don't understand it :lol:.
But apparently Vacuum Polarization has some nifty side effects:

... They showed that favorable vacuum polarization (accomplished by a favorable
electrogravitic coupling between the fields of specially conditioned em radiation and those that underlie gravity and intertia) would: diminish vacuum permittivity and permeability; and increase c in the vicinity of accelerating starships. This also diminished inertial resistance of the quantum vacuum to accelerated motion (vehicle inertia). ...
In other words, normally, 1 Newton of force would accelerate a 1 Kg object at 1 m/s per second.
But, relative to an object outside the field of Vacuum Polarization, that 1 N could accelerate that 1 Kg object anywhere from 1 m/s^2 to near infinite, depending on how much you've rotated the "xu" plane.

Scroll down near the bottom and look at figure 9. That's my favorite :)

Keep in mind it doesn't actually reach c through brute acceleration. From it's own inertial instrumentation, it never reaches c. And from it's own instrumentation, 1 Newton of force pushes 1 Kg at 1 m/s^2. It's when you take your velocity readings from Earth's frame of reference that your acceleration is greater than 1 m/s^2 for every Newton on every Kg.

Oh, and transit time on-board would be slightly greater than the time it takes to travel from Earth's perspective, not significantly, so, however.

But, if you really wanted an answer, the original answer was that the ship emits the rest of the energy as tachyons.

PS, in response, the ship can't emit the rest of the energy as Tachyons. It's postulated that you CAN travel at FTL velocity in regular space, but slowing down TO the speed of light will have the same effects as speeding up TO it. It's crossing the light barrier (speeding up to it, or slowing down to it) that's impossible, not traveling faster than light. In effect, then, going FTL without any kind of space distortion would mean you'd be traveling backwards in time, i.e., you wouldn't lose energy as tachyons, you'd BE tachyons.
(Maybe that's what Merlin did in Sword in the Stone? :lol:)

And if you were going THE speed of light, then that'd be an infinite release of energy...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would it be low energy enough that say, a human's metabolism could power it? Assuming that they are eating an athlete's diet or something like that (high energy and stuff)

Electrolysis is relatively power-consuming, but I don't have the figures to compare it to human body output. Besides that, it would require a conversion of said output to electric power, and won't work without some helping device. And after that' there's igniting.

I was more thinking along the lines of the aliens (or some of them), due to their superior technology, having implanted (or as part of their equipement) a device for electrolysis and a power suppply (they'd need storage too), following Clarke's third law.

controlling the burn rate of the expelled hydrogen so it actually produces a fireball and doesn't just go boom all at once is a completely different matter though, and probably impossible in an uncontained environment. It's a handwave for sure, but I think it's a cool idea for a technnologically very advanced species.

Archabacteria

Reaction score
Note that current plans for the fireball necessitate it not actually being on fire or anything until it hits the target. Ignition would be provided by force of impact, I figure. As for containment, would compressed air be enough (like, not even in a can, just pulled by some force into a sphere around the hydrogen- or even just the mixture itself pulled and kept as a sphere)?

Handwaves are inevitable though, so I won't have an explanation for everything. After all, any sufficiently advanced technology is magic to those who don't understand it, and honestly, I don't know if any of us ever will.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
or even just the mixture itself pulled and kept as a sphere

Well, "held together by some force" is exactly the tough point... If you fire only the gas, there's no known principle to keep it together. Most probably they'd fire something like a bullet-sized magnetical projector to keep the surounding gas in magnetic containment and pull it along with it. A self-contained gas bubble is pretty much ultimate magic, as gas doesn't have enough density to stick to itself even in a vacuum and zero-g.
Alternatively, they could project the containment field from their equipement. Would probably drastically limit the range, but in exchange you'd effectively have a guidable weapon.

Ignition would be provided by force of impact, I figure

What force of impact? It's a ball of gas, it doesn't have the mass nor the cohesion to produce any meaningfull force of impact, really. To get back to the idea above, the containment projector could easily provide the ignition. Of course you're depending on some kind of (potentially very expensive) ammo then, I don't know how far in your line of thought that is. And, naturaly, you'd have to run some math to see how much hydrogen you'd actually need for any meaningfull explosion, and in turn how large the gas ball gets, how much it has to be compressed, and how much power the magnetic containment requires. You'll probably get some pretty large figures on all three accounts...

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The rest of the thread was spent trying to get me not to use a faster than light system. This doesn't matter now, since I've moved on to 'space is smaller in general' rather than 'light is faster'.

Even though I have a horrible understanding in physics I have a feeling that if you take space and make it smaller you will not notice it... As space gets smaller gravity takes effect and the closer you are to a gravity source the longer time would seem to the outside world... Space is space and a mile will equal a mile no matter how you shrink space...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This thread deserves it: :facepalm:

Well, probably the physics forum isn't quite the right place for it... it's full-out scifi mumbo-jumbo, after all :lol:

Even though I have a horrible understanding in physics I have a feeling that if you take space and make it smaller you will not notice it... As space gets smaller gravity takes effect and the closer you are to a gravity source the longer time would seem to the outside world... Space is space and a mile will equal a mile no matter how you shrink space...

The rather obvious point why you wouldn't notice it is that, technically, you'd get smaller with it...
I really think parallel universe traveling for FTL isn't a preferable way. Better to just get there somehow and not talk about it any more in a novel.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or you can use some system and not go into it in depth. If a character is travelling from Berlin to Cambodia, the readers won't really care about the dynamics going on inside the jet engines on the aircraft they're flying on; they only care that the aircraft gets to Cambodia, where the protagonist will fulfill whatever the story is.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, probably the physics forum isn't quite the right place for it... it's full-out scifi mumbo-jumbo, after all :lol:

It's not just the bad physics, it's all the Wikipedia physics experts that read a page about an effect and think it always applies.

*NONE* of us is qualified for a discussion at this level, no matter how much Wikipedia we read. This kind of discussion requires a very high level education in several fields.

See what I mean? It's statements like these that make me want to projectile vomit and this thread is full of them:

Velocity wouldn't transfer from one universe to another, it's far more conceivable that energy would. In that case, you wouldn't just hop from a sub-luminal speed to a super-luminal, you'd jump from a sub-luminal speed of one universe, to a sub-luminal speed of another.

As for Cherenkov radiation...
Cherenkov radiation doesn't occur always when an object (a particle) travels at a speed greater then the speed of light in a medium. Two things have to be there: The particle needs to be charged and it needs to be accelerating.

A charged particle traveling faster then the speed of light in empty space would not radiate photons. Cherenkov radiation occurs because a particle travels through a medium, influences other particles around it and that causes it to emit radiation.

If you're gonna do any sort of thinking, please make sure you're equipped to do so. That means you study up on your math and physics and not just open a thread with "OMGOMGOMGOMG I GOT A 1337 IDEA FOR SPACE TRAVEL!!!!!" like a lot of people do. There's a good reason you learn to walk, before you start running...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
*NONE* of us is qualified for a discussion at this level, no matter how much Wikipedia we read.

I think (hope) none of us has the illusion that we are...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope none of us has the illusion that we're presenting stuff to the UN, rather than discussing on an internet forum... :facepalm:

Though there isn't any excuse for "OMGOMGOMGOMG I GOT A 1337 IDEA FOR SPACE TRAVEL!!!!!", and rightly so.