Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I need a new computer...

I just looked at how much hd free space I had left... and I had only 580 mb left... :(
:rofl:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or just install linux, you'll probably never run out of space. :lol:

G

Garyw

I need a new computer...

I just looked at how much hd free space I had left... and I had only 580 mb left... :(
:rofl:

Check your %temp% folder. Chances are there is crud there you can get shot of. You may also want to show all hidden folders and browse to %windir% and delete the backup folders which many patches create.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
Or just install linux, you'll probably never run out of space. :lol:

I use linux (Ubuntu). It's really good, I've only crashed it once (and that was when I was trying too). The biggest problem is that orbiter doesn't run in it.

To solve this problem I have a Linux-Widnows dual installation. And some processors can run both at the same time, which can be really useful.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a Linux-Widnows dual installation.

Same here. And there are ways to run orbiter on linux. I have noticed that it's harder to run orbiter if you are in GNOME. I have ran orbiter with wine on KDE before.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've never used Linux.. As for a PC, you deffo wanna get core2duo and 2GB ram with at least a 512mb video card if you want to play any new games or fsx. With a machine like that Orbiter will run at really high framerates with even the highest quality textures installed.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've never used Linux.. As for a PC, you deffo wanna get core2duo and 2GB ram with at least a 512mb video card if you want to play any new games or fsx. With a machine like that Orbiter will run at really high framerates with even the highest quality textures installed.

No vista though, I get low frame rates on the ground and about 30 in space

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yea stay away from Vista if you want to game.. Its got issues. :(

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Vista will come around..I would wait a year or two before getting it though. The reason Vista's release was a disaster is I think because Microsoft already created an OS that works good for a business environment, XP. Vista really doesn't have any new features that makes you want to switch to it, besides the user interface. But most people wouldn't want to trade incompatibility for prettier window borders. In any case, if you want eye candy, try Ubuntu 7.10. Comes with compiz fusion installed by default.

Just look at the comparison:

Art

Reaction score
Hmmm....

Instead of building a new box, why not just spend 30 bucks and add a new hard-drive to get a few hundred more gig after you take some time to clean out the old one?:coffee:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vista will come around..I would wait a year or two before getting it though. The reason Vista's release was a disaster is I think because Microsoft already created an OS that works good for a business environment, XP. Vista really doesn't have any new features that makes you want to switch to it, besides the user interface. But most people wouldn't want to trade incompatibility for prettier window borders. In any case, if you want eye candy, try Ubuntu 7.10. Comes with compiz fusion installed by default.

Just look at the comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

WOW! Thats totally sick! I'm loving that!! Only thing I don't like is the effort involved to play some games... but wow. Thats sick! :lol:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
WOW! Thats totally sick! I'm loving that!! Only thing I don't like is the effort involved to play some games... but wow. Thats sick! :lol:

Yeah, most modern games are released for windows. But there are more then a couple thousand games you can install for free. Here are some FPS:

Cube2
Enemy Territory (good one)
[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHfxzvgSFU0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
America's Army

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Thanks for the ideas everyone,

and to reply to arts post, -> I cannot get another hd because I have a laptop and they are not exactly 'upgradeable' for the most part. It can only have one hd at a time, I could go with an external drive but that defeats the purpose of having a portable computer :)

But it really doesn't matter, I had to get another computer anyway because the one I have doesn't have a graphics card, and I have to get another one for collage.

besides, the old one would make a nice present to my sister ;) :)

She is not really big on 'gaming' so what I have is good with her, (and I think Ill leave orbiter on just in case :lol:)

I also want to say... I got a new one...

dell inspiron 1520 and it comes with XP :dance::2thumbsup::werd:

I am so glad it had that option, If it came with vista...:suicide:

:lol:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Ahhhggg!!! I Looked and saw that I ordered it yesterday, and its not coming in for a month!:suicide:

:compbash:

:sick:
:weird::shout: