Hardware Ideal Orbiter media installation

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've been considering moving my Orbiter 16 install from my hard drive to a SSD, I was wondering if 128GB USB3 would be an ideal cheaper alternative. I think with Orbiter 16 it is not so much the raw transfer speed rather the seek time. Has anyone tried this? I want to reduce texture/elevation loading time as it is very noticeable when changing views or on time acceleration.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
The seek time bottleneck has been removed since the advent of the new texture format. Now the bottlenecks will be:
- CPU if you use compressed textures
- hard drive's read speed if you use raw textures and maybe CPU if it's very weak.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How has the seek time bottleneck been removed? By the loading of tiles using a seperate thread?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I did the same, but with a 250GB SSD. My dedicated O: drive for orbiter, main \Orbiter_2016 and \Orbiter_2010, orbiter download repo, and orbiter code development. Works great, especially for clean reinstalls of Orbiter.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
How has the seek time bottleneck been removed? By the loading of tiles using a seperate thread?
The seek time bottleneck has been removed since the advent of the new texture format.
Actually I was supposed to say - special archive format designed by MartinS. It allows for faster searches for according tiles.