If I couldAerospace Education Center

Vertigo

Reaction score
Website
www.nasa-stuff.com
If you could start an Aerospace Education Center. What would you want in it? What type of activities?

I am currently trying to organize an Aerospace Education Center along with a Challenger Learning Center in my community, and I have a lot of ideas, but I thought I would ask the Orbiter community. I couldn't think of a better resource for opinions. It will take a couple years, but it's do-able!

Thanks!

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
First of all, people have the idea that entertainment and education oppose each other. Education must be boring, learning must be hard. Entertainment is about having fun. Such opposition is something you must address, and it may take a lot of effort.

juangrenet

Reaction score
I have been thinking about how to do this for a couple of years. I think one of the problems we face is getting enough dedicated people to do some teaching and mentoring. Getting local companies to contribute for needed equipment will also be needed. I would suggest setting up a learning center/Aerospace Education Program that uses desk top Flight Simulators for much of the hands on. There is a need, I feel, to recruit teachers (Flight Instructors) and others who are interested in teaching to young people. If the center is to be effective, there is a need for a somewhat structured program of learning about Aerospace subjects, including some concrete examples of how math and science is related to aerospace. There is ample material on the web to help with developing curriculum. Local high school and college teachers can help with course material and some might even be willing to teach a little. As with most things in life, it seems to boil down to resources and commitment plus enough vision and salesmanship to sell the program locally. I have lots more thoughts and have been working on such a progarm for a while. If you would like more info, just let me know though the forum and I'll respond.

Vertigo

Reaction score
Website
www.nasa-stuff.com
I agree with you Ar81. I want the center to have entertaining education, and hands on activities. I hate seeing something I can't climb on when I am at museums.
Jaungrenet, I have 8 pc's that I use for flight sims during Boy Scout's merit badge program locally. It's a blast, but it takes me two hours to set up the sims and network.
I went to the National Conference for Space and Science Educators last year and got loads of information. The only problem I have is that the schools are busy "teaching the test", and don't have much time for anything else.
In the future, I believe the community will provide the volunteers and Docents that are needed to help out, as well as teachers that are interested in aerospace. I have already had a few step forward and we are well underway to creating a board. I would be more than glad to hear what you have guys to say.