If you had the opportunity...

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Lets say in 5 years, NASA reveals a 10 year old technology: the warp drive. It allows us to reach planets far outside our solar system in a matter of days. The warp drive has been tested and it has a .001% failure rate. They have discovered a planet similar to earth, and have released a public announcement.

Human volunteers are wanted for the mission to the new planet. The trip would take 5 days, and you would be stationed there for 3 years with constant updates from Earth. The only catch: only you and your immediate family would be able to go. Messages to your friends and relatives back on Earth would be rare.

So, if you had the opportunity, would you do something like that?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Double yes in a heartbeat.

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would, yes, however my wife, no way. Looks like a lonely trip.:sorry:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Now, there would be other families going ('bout hunderd or so).

I dont know if i would go. Not being in contact with my friends and relatives would be hard for 3 years

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Moonwalker

Reaction score
A trip to the Moon and back of about 14 to 21 days all in all would be okay for me. But leaving this beautiful planet for years? No. I definately don't need another World. I would not even stay on ISS for more than 21 days.

mrspacely

Reaction score
i would go. without my family and on my own. i would have to 'die' in their minds. i would then try to contact the race that dominates that planet and seek asylum from the human race. i would work to learn to communicate with these beings, and would comprehensively communicate my knowledge of the human race to them tirelessly if needed to. i would submit to limited physical and mental tests, none too degrading, or debilitating/painful.

there is a great chance these beings would be multidimensional and somewhat if not completely hive-minded and a bit unreasonable, therefor far more able to influence my actions and decisions. i would have to completely uphold my mental morals and rules of 'use' in order to ensure safe harboring.

my only request to these beings for giving them my complete knowledge of humans is that they allow me a secure location of solitude on a planet with earthlike conditions and resources, that is not as densely populated by animal / non-plant life, granted i submit to take care of my surroundings and use resources responsibly.

i would then explore my surroundings, and contemplate the consequences of my testimony of the human condition.