If you were chosen to go to the moon....

Hartmann

Reaction score
My telescope
A laptop for web cam, stars charts and maps, Camera
A rover

i could imagine a clear sky with no city lights, no visible dust, no turbulence...wow :thumbup:

Spicer

Reaction score
I'd take a Phillies hat, my lacrosse stick, and my ipod so I could listen to Dark Side of the Moon...

ThatGuy

Reaction score

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I'd actually love to bring my girlfriend. Too bad she's afraid of heights :lol:!

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I tried taking her flying once and she nearly turned white when I asked her if she wanted to go :).

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Okay, that's it. I'm bringing a rifle, too.

Don't want to miss out on the first off-planet range meet.

Careful with guns. Since there is no atmosphere and orbital velocity is low there is slight chance that bullet orbits the Moon and hits you.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
3 things? :hmm:
  • Oxygen
  • Water
  • Food
And I wouldn't spend much time reading books.:p

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let me add a Yankees hat to go with my rifle.

So when I get to the moon I have a good target.

Go Phils.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Careful with guns. Since there is no atmosphere and orbital velocity is low there is slight chance that bullet orbits the Moon and hits you.

That depends on if the muzzle velocity of the weapon.

AFAIK most rifles have a muzzle velocity of 700-900 m/s.

Lunar orbital velocity is 1500 m/s.

If it managed to attain an orbit, it'd probably crash into a mountain before it circled around the planet.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In Earth's atmosphere........

It would only be marginally higher in a vacuum, and the big difference afterwards is that the bullet would not slow due to atmospheric drag. Of course there would be some drop due to gravity pulling the bullet down but the round would retain most of its original kinetic energy throughout the flight.

Ricochets would be murderous indeed...

kneejo

Astronut
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i would not think about wha to do on the moon, since I'd be there only for a short period of time. I'd try to take something against the boredom on the long flight going there and back. A laptop with wireless internet hooked up to the deepspace antenna, my favourite online multiplayer games and a couple ounces of you-know-what.. and some extra carbon filters to keep the cabin-air relatively breathable.. :) space... ahh..

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
1) I'm pretty sure the consensus is on "a camera" as the first thing we'd choose to bring with us, but allow me to get specific here and go for "the best high-definition video camera unit available". If you think Kaguya looked great from dozens of miles up in orbit, imagine having one of those babies on the lunar surface with free EVAs to play with?

2) A ground vehicle. I'm not getting stuck walking around a LM for all that time with nothing to do but lope around nearby craters; I want to cover some serious mileage. And since this is a short-term stay I'll forego the later concept vehicles and just take an old Apollo-era rover, which remains the Ultimate 4x4 (you can't get any more "off-road" than the Moon).

3) I want to travel 200,000 miles across the emptiness of space; make a soft landing on Earth's only satellite; egress from the spacecraft; travel about 25km out into the lonely expanse of lunar dust where no human has ever ventured -- indeed, where there hasn't been any activity of any kind, except for the occasional micrometeroid impact, for literally two billion years; reach into a utility pack on the side of my PLSS; and, while standing in the silent lunar vacuum that is as old as time itself, gently deposit...

... a Smurf doll.

Unstung

Reaction score
As long as there's a window in the craft and a camera (Along with all the required instruments/equipment).