Reaction score
Current job: Temp
Previous job: Postgrad programmes admin
Hopeful future job: Maths Teacher/Multimedia designer

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wage slave at a call center.

Which . . . on second thought is no small feat (my title is 'team leader') considering call centers typically have a VERY high employee turnaround and it is difficult to survive in that kind of environment without 'the right stuff.'

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Formerly worked at a soviet legacy supercomputer research centre, doing software at the Linux kernel level, for the crappy wages.

Got my PhD this summer, and since this august moved to work for a major cell phone provider, doing software at Linux userspace level... for a slightly less crappy (but still quite crappy) wages.

Yes, one can never quite have enough. But now at least it should take two months to get enough money for an intercontinental country-browsing trip instead of 10 months.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Formerly worked at a soviet legacy supercomputer research centre, doing software at the Linux kernel level, for the crappy wages.

Got my PhD this summer, and since this august moved to work for a major cell phone provider, doing software at Linux userspace level... for a slightly less crappy (but still quite crappy) wages.

Yes, one can never quite have enough. But now at least it should take two months to get enough money for an intercontinental country-browsing trip instead of 10 months.

Out of curiosity, what got you into programming Artlav? I know I would never have started studying C++ without Orbiter myself.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Current: Unemployed college student that's going to enroll in a work study program sometime soon.

Future: US Air Force Officer, hopefully sometime before the decade is out. :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Out of curiosity, what got you into programming Artlav? I know I would never have started studying C++ without Orbiter myself.
One day in the late 90s i got an idea that i can make better DOS and Windows.
Then it went something like that, a mix of "plans for a year" and "what happened that year":

1998:
-Type description into a txt file
-Rename it as game.exe
-Run game.exe
-Wonder what went wrong
-Start thinking

1999:
-Get to know bat files and ansi.sys
-Call that program-off-ZIP-disk-selector an OS
-Make a calculator for it
-Make changeable backgrounds for it.

2000:
-Learn Turbo pascal
-Write better Windows, with round and triangular windows
-Write better DOS, with current directory always shown
-Write a way to load that thing from under MS Windows in windows's place
-Take over the world!

2001:
-Learn assembler
-Rewrite that tanglebox into the efficient machine code
-Figure out why BIOS can't load gif files
-Make better Windows that fit on a floppy, square windows would suffice
-Take over the world?

2002:
-Learn C
-Learn protected mode
-Learn programming and algorithms theory
-Learn what does OS means
-Learn how CPU's work
-Learn how games are really made

2003:
-Find Linux
-Learn why backups are necessary, the hard way
-Find another Linux
-Learn why rm -rf / is not the same as format C:, and why second partition does not constitute a good place to keep backups
-Find Orbiter, pay for it with grades.

2004-2007:
-Graduate
-Enroll in University's Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics faculty
-Discover that Operating Systems department actually teach supercomputer programming
-Learn Delphi
-Learn Java
-Learn Lisp
-Learn Prolog
-Learn FORTRAN
-Learn UML
-Implement every algorithm there is
-Make sense of Linux kernel sources
-Make better Orbiter

2008:
-Recover that assembler clustertangle and rewrite it into pascal
-Design a system architecture and rewrite it again
-Make way for loading programs
-Make way for loading drivers
-Learn how PC hardware works on the bottom side
-Make VFS
-Make VFAT driver
-Make floppy driver
-Make VESA driver
-Make some kind of GUI to get larger console
-Make memory manager that can release memory
-Make task manager that can wait
-Make pascal compiler

2009:
-Redesign the clusterentangle again.
-Dissolve the kernel into userspace
-Debug VFS
-Debug VFAT driver
-Debug memory manager
-Debug task manager
-Make some IPC primitives
-Rewrite \"pascal\" compiler into pascal compiler
-Get USB to work
-Get CDROM to work
-Make ISOFS driver read most CDROM's
-Make OpenGL renderer device
-Get significant amount of code to work for perceivable amount of time without crashing the OS
-Abandon all hope of fitting it on a floppy
-Abandon all hope of making a better Orbiter

2010:
-Offset common code to libraries
-Clean up and keep a consistent design
-Redesign userspace to fold on itself, with consistent interfaces and minimal code reuse
-Add compression support to the program loader and linker
-Make it fit on floppy again
-Redesign kernel affinity
-Port some games and programs into the now-stable-looking OS
-Achieve OS uptime of 1 hour while playing around with compilers and games
-Think up a way to make it all useful
-Take over the world

2011:
-Get interested in hardware, fail at making a RepRap
-Get interested in Artificial Intelligence, fail at making a neural autopilot for Orbiter
-Get interested in power electronics, fail to avoiding vaporising some wires
-Port Linux to Orbiter

2012-2013:
-Get a PhD in Artificial Intelligence by accident, find out that it does not lend better jobs
-Succeed in making a Reprap, succeed again
-Succeed in vaporising wires on purpose
-Make lightning play music
-Find out that you are still far from taking over the world

2014:
-???

Kendo

Reaction score
Hmmmm, you haven,t done a lot then.
Seriously though, that all way above my head.

You forgot to list when you compressed the Universe on to a floppy disc.

Love to know who said that.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Graphic designer / co owner of small advertisement-printing company.

romanasul

Reaction score
Withdrew from a co-op engineering program at Univ of Waterloo in 1976. Have been self employed teaching hang gliding ever since. aka... Haven't worked a day in my life.

It's good to hear i'm not the only one who dropped out of an engineering program. I just can't concentrate on something i don't like for more than 30 minutes. Anyway hopefully I'll find a job i like.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
It's good to hear i'm not the only one who dropped out of an engineering program. I just can't concentrate on something i don't like for more than 30 minutes. Anyway hopefully I'll find a job i like.

The my case exactly. Well, I just found the job that I like enough to get concentrated on it, and I'm doing pretty well now :) Here I am, an engineer without college education. It's the same with my English skill which is far from ideal, of course, but I learned it by myself. The same is with Orbiter too - I just started the simulator and learned it by trial and error, without any advanced tutorials, and only used Orbiter.pdf for reference.

It's not the most efficient way of doing things, I must admit, but it's the way nevertheless. And, in my opinion, it's somewhat more interesting than doing everything by the book ;)

romanasul

Reaction score
The my case exactly. Well, I just found the job that I like enough to get concentrated on it, and I'm doing pretty well now :) Here I am, an engineer without college education. It's the same with my English skill which is far from ideal, of course, but I learned it by myself. The same is with Orbiter too - I just started the simulator and learned it by trial and error, without any advanced tutorials, and only used Orbiter.pdf for reference.

It's not the most efficient way of doing things, I must admit, but it's the way nevertheless. And, in my opinion, it's somewhat more interesting than doing everything by the book ;)

If it's not too personal, what type of engineering job do you have? I'm looking for any help right now.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
If it's not too personal, what type of engineering job do you have? I'm looking for any help right now.

Security systems of all kinds: CCTV, fire detection systems, perimeter alarms, access control etc. My job is to keep it all in a working state and fix it when needed. There are many other things I have to do including all kinds of paper (computer) work like scheming, composing technical estimations and executive documentaion, bothering manufacturers' techsupports and providing techsupport for my company's clients... and so on.
Personally I find my job exciting, especially the technical part. Sometimes what seems to be a simple task of finding a malfunction and fixing it turns into a real detective story :lol: And I often see places where I wouldn't have a chance to get to otherwise. Like bank money storage, factories of all kinds, military installations, radioactive wastes storage, many other exciting things. I even developed a bad habit of ignoring 'NO TRESPASSING' signs :lol:

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i am self employed working with a mate doing hard landscaping (patio's, fences etc) and installing garden buildings in folks gardens (sheds, greenhouses, etc). I've mostly had crap jobs counting other people money before this so i'm enjoying being out in the fresh air (rain) building things. Every job is different and although it ain't no rocket science there is a good variety of skills to get into and some cool toys: those mechanical diggers are just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

tax returns aren't much fun though

I've been a pretty full time musician for most of my life but as i never devoted any of that time to publishing myself properly it doesn't really count as a job. good times though. if anyone wants to hear some there are tunes available for a free listen on 'https://soundcloud.com/howlingworm'

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What CFD software? I used to be a CFD engineer in the power industry.

I am now a professor of engineering at a local maritime college.

Mostly an automatic post-processing tool for our major customer (visualization and reporting in PPT) and user functions for Ricardo Vectis.

CFD software sounds a bit too special, it is rather every kind of software you need around CFD simulations. We do software from pre-processing (turn CAD data from subcontractors into simulation models) over simulation to post-processing (report generation, result management)

Our biggest achievement so far is the fact, that our report generation tool pretty intelligent itself, requiring only little manual input. You just tell it which simulations you want to report, what kind of report you want, if you want a comparison of different simulations, etc. and it automatically produces a standard Powerpoint report in which the engineer only needs to fill in his interpretation of the data.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

tax returns aren't much fun though

Tax returns used to be better, when I was paying somebody to do this for me :lol:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I sell insurance. It's stressful, yet boring. It also doesn't really pay that well. I would advise against it.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Even though i only recently entered the labor force ive had jobs for several years.

Previous Job: Student Government Senator(Forced to resign for being under 18/Fired for hacking)
Current Jobs:
Selling 3d printed objects to my school.(see picture below)
Part time film instructor at an arts program.

Wanted Job: IT department "techie"

Attachments

• photo (31).jpg
    photo (31).jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 12

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I work in nonprofit communications as a digital strategist. Basically, I help small nonprofits, researchers, and large foundations get their messages out on the internet in an intelligent way. It's a cool job, but a bit hard to explain.