Im bored with orbiter, what do i do

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Hey people, im bored with orbiter, ive done everything, what do you suggest i do. Any add-ons that has never been seen before and it's a really good add-on? What do you think i should do?

V8Li

Reaction score
Formation flight. On Earth. At 5 meters altitude.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
visit every planet in the solar system on a single tank of fuel in the stock DG within one human lifetime (say, 70 years)?

Launch Earth-->Moon or Moon--> Earth on a single burn *without* a parking orbit to get into an orbit at the other end that passes over your selected base so you can reenter *without* a parking orbit.

Last edited:

V8Li

Reaction score
Speaking of the stock DG, get the Delta Tweak addon; I know, it might not seem much and I have been avoiding it forever but you'll discover orbitersim again, with better reentries and handling.

UASOMCPKING

Reaction score
Website
vuaso.org
huh?

Launch Earth-->Moon or Moon--> Earth on a single burn *without* a parking orbit to get into an orbit at the other end that passes over your selected base so you can reenter *without* a parking orbit.

I wouldn't even know where to start calculating a burn like that - I mean, Orbital elements change dynamically all the time! I could calculate the burn, only to find myself way off the beaten track!

Even then, It would be near impossible to actually end the burn at exactly the right time, even if I knew when.

I guess one would be allowed to use variable thrusting? I could cheat, and just keep the engine running at < 1% and make corrections until I run out of fuel...

seriously though, if you can do this, could you provide me with a tutorial?

P.S. when say a single burn - you mean as in NO engine use after the initial launch burn?

Last edited:

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I just updated my old Sedna and Eris addons, have you tried taking the DG out that far?

What about creating your own addons? It's a bit of a learning curve, but you can design your own missions which can be tons of fun. If you make your own addons, your possibilities are endless.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
have you Made a Space station?

gimp1992

Reaction score
Have you flown all the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and shuttle missions in sequence

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I wouldn't even know where to start calculating a burn like that - I mean, Orbital elements change dynamically all the time! I could calculate the burn, only to find myself way off the beaten track!

Even then, It would be near impossible to actually end the burn at exactly the right time, even if I knew when.

I guess one would be allowed to use variable thrusting? I could cheat, and just keep the engine running at < 1% and make corrections until I run out of fuel...

seriously though, if you can do this, could you provide me with a tutorial?

P.S. when say a single burn - you mean as in NO engine use after the initial launch burn?

I didn't say that it would be easy :p. Seriously though, orbits do wander, so it's probably not sensible as you do need a few, even if going to the moon. You could restrict the MCCs to being only done via the RCS thrusters. I've done it with a single burn from a parking orbit around the Earth to get to Lunar orbit of the correct inc and LAN. From there, I did one burn to capture into lunar orbit and lower my pe down to ~5km to make the landing on the base. I thought that if he'd 'run out' of things to do in orbiter, then doing this without the Earth parking orbit stage would take a while to complete ;).

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Rescue the shuttle from orbit with the DG, then race them back to the cape

mrspacely

Reaction score
get some third party modules, take them up into orbit & assemble them with the dragonfly! its tedious but its something to do!

UASOMCPKING

Reaction score
Website
vuaso.org
sapce station building

I have an opening scenario for that! it's actually something I have a keen interest in - i'll post it to my website so you can have a look. you may have to ajdust the scenario a little, becuase the shuttle in unmanned to begin with - I could easily sort that out.

post me a pm or e-mail - you know my address ryan.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
visit every planet in the solar system on a single tank of fuel in the stock DG within one human lifetime (say, 70 years)?

Going either way, the launch phase would be quite a challenge. Going Earth->Moon with only the launch burn and the landing burn would be challenging too. However, the landing phase of the Moon->Earth trip would be trivial (at least in the DG). I can aerobrake from a translunar or interplanetary trip to any spot on Earth that I choose.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Chill out in the Hanger with a PanGalactic Gargleblaster ( or three ) and tell outrageous stories to anyone who will listen. :p