IMFD IMFD 5.3 is utterly useless?

Lazers

Reaction score
So I have been using IMFD 4.2.1 for most flights, and they pretty much all work.
THe IMFD 5.x series just seems to be complete sh*t, though. The autoburn seems to just adjust the attitude, the planet approach burns away from the planet. Basically, am I doing something wrong? Or is IMFD 5 -ment- to be this stupid?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Nice way to inspire help from the author... :dry: Those sort of comments do both yourself and the community a disservice.

You could also be a bit more specific with your symptoms:

1. What vessel are you using?
2. When using autoburn when does it adjust the attitude? Before the burn, near the start, near the end, after the burn, etc
3. When setting up the planet approach burn, what does the display show? Expected values or not? Perhaps post a screenie.

Lazers

Reaction score
Using the Descartes, and the orbit eject burn goes fine. However, after that, the map MFD shows no course whatsoever, and even when I do manage to get near mars enough to try the planet approach burn, it just uses the RCS thrusters to constantly swing around, burn for three seconds, turn the other way, burn, so on. While moving my intended course AWAY from the planet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
First question of them all: Did you read the manual?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Using the Descartes, and the orbit eject burn goes fine. However, after that, the map MFD shows no course whatsoever, and even when I do manage to get near mars enough to try the planet approach burn, it just uses the RCS thrusters to constantly swing around, burn for three seconds, turn the other way, burn, so on. While moving my intended course AWAY from the planet.
I do recall seeing a problem like this before. IIRC, the solution involved adjusting the values "AB RCS Threshold" and "AB Throttle down" in the Configuration page. I can't recall in which direction they should be adjusted but trying changing them and see what you get. I think "AB RCS Threshold" should be small than "AB Throttle down".

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
So I have been using IMFD 4.2.1 for most flights, and they pretty much all work.
THe IMFD 5.x series just seems to be complete sh*t, though. The autoburn seems to just adjust the attitude, the planet approach burns away from the planet. Basically, am I doing something wrong? Or is IMFD 5 -ment- to be this stupid?

In the first place, IMFD is free. The author is not being paid for making it. A great deal of effort has been put in that tool. The less we can do is to show appreciation.

Second, the good news about Orbiter is that if you do not like something, you can always do some research and make something better.

Third, I presume your daily comunication involves swearing. This type of communication is not used here. Be polite. Wrong communication usually leads to a ban eventually.

IMFD 4.2.1 works fine to me. I have never been in need of later versions, so I can't tell.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
wow. what a way to support this community. Really nice:dry::mad:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Who says that 5.3 does support 4 MFDs? would be an information you should state.

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
I just downloaded IMFD 5.3 yesterday and tried it for the first time. I had no problem
with a slingshot around the moon, returning to Earth, and actually getting an orbit
insert. This version is to me, quite an improvement from earlier versions.
Thanks Jarmo

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Allthough Lazers clearly picked up the wrong tone, there seems to be some weird things going on in IMFD 5.3.

for example, today it turned me around in the middle of an ejection burn and smashed me right back into earth. This happened immediately after getting back into cockpit from external view, so there might be a relation.

However, the planet aproach burn to Mars thrusted me to kingdom come, several times. Maybe I'm just doing some stuff completely wrong, but the thing is so much automised that there isn't too much you can do (of course that's the major point about it, and not a point of critique, I'm just pretty helpless when anything goes wrong, which seems to be most of the time).

I'm anxiously waiting for the complete manual, which seems to arrive somewhen these days, maybe it will shed some light into what the hell I manage to do wrong every single time...

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

I think I know why the reverse-thrust problem occured. Seems to happen when I start the ejection burn after the scatule (which I did because I was afraid I'd go flying THROUGH the earth instead of around it. Lesson learned: For transfers with lot's of delta-v involved get into a higher orbit first to have more room...).

However, I have not been able to get the orbit-insertion program to work yet... works like a charm in 4.2, but somethig seems to have changed quite a bit there in the newer versions...

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
I just ran a scenario: XR5 to Mars while taking XR2 to the moon and a DGIV to the ISS. The IMFD 5.3 performed flawlessly. Perhaps a little study and practice might help. There is a lot of helpful information right here on this forum if one is polite and sincere with questions.

I acheived a 320k orbit around Mars with the Descartes using IMFD 5.3. I had to position the vessel manually using RCS and the BurnVector
before engaging AutoBurn.

Last edited:

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
Allthough Lazers clearly picked up the wrong tone, there seems to be some weird things going on in IMFD 5.3.

However, the planet aproach burn to Mars thrusted me to kingdom come, several times. Maybe I'm just doing some stuff completely wrong, but the thing is so much automised that there isn't too much you can do (of course that's the major point about it, and not a point of critique, I'm just pretty helpless when anything goes wrong, which seems to be most of the time).

I'm anxiously waiting for the complete manual, which seems to arrive somewhen these days, maybe it will shed some light into what the hell I manage to do wrong every single time...

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

However, I have not been able to get the orbit-insertion program to work yet... works like a charm in 4.2, but somethig seems to have changed quite a bit there in the newer versions...

If PeA is set too low in Planet Approach, Obit Insert cannot calculate a
decent capture. Velocity..BAD Think of it as jumping off a cliff with paper sack for a parachute.;)

Last edited: