OHM InSight

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

NASA's "InSight" spacecraft, Marco_A and Marco_B cubesats.

Set for launch on AtlasV AV078 on 5 May 2018
InSight feat. automated EDL sequence, robotic arm, deployable SEIS, WTS, HP3 experiments.
Includes AtlasV launcher, optional launch ascent autopilot. SLC-3E pad.
"InSight_Landing_Site" Mars surface base included as landing target marker.
Launch and post-launch scenarios. Installation and operation notes in /Doc/Insight folder.

REQUIREMENTS (LAUNCH SCENARIO ONLY)
fred18's "Multistage2015 for Orbiter2016"
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7010

DOWNLOAD

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, hope it's fun. Looks like I ran out of time before Saturday, so I hope it all works OK.

It's nice to get into a straight-forward Mars transfer again!
Marco_A/B flyby for comms relay is an extra challenge.
AtlasV launch from West Coast is cool, looks like it flies almost parallel to the coast.
Nice views of the Centaur over the Himalayas just before final burn.
Am looking forward to Saturday :)
Cheers,
BrianJ

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From looking at the "Trajectory Design" video in this post, looks like they could be sticking to the 158deg launch azimuth constraint for Vandenberg, and doing a bit of a "dogleg" maneuvre during ascent. There is enough dV for it.

Attached .zip is revised guidance file for the AtlasV AV078, which is probably a bit closer to this. Starts out at 158deg azimuth, then corrects inclination after fairing separation.

Attachments

• insight_gnc_patch_180504.zip
    718 bytes · Views: 11

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, I should have paid more attention to Jim Green when he said the Atlas does a "big left turn" during the final burn.

I'm so used to trying to minimise off-plane components of the final transfer burn.

Yes, you need a hefty plane change in the final burn if you're at 64deg.inc., but the AtlasV has enough dV for that.

So, as far as I can see, AtlasV launches to ~158deg azimuth, core stage does a little bit of a dogleg to correct the inclination to 64deg.inc. Then there is the "big left turn" during the final burn.

Here's a revised guidance file that get's closer to that initial launch profile to parking orbit.

Attachments

• insight_gnc_patch_180505.zip
    596 bytes · Views: 32

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Barry,
I'm afraid that's just down to how Orbiter renders the Mars surface.
It might work better if you get the Mars hi-res surface pack, but thats ~20Gb total download, which is a hefty chunk of my HardDrive, so I never tried it.

If you deselect Orbiter "Surface Terrain" for the landing, it works better (and you get a little patch of hi-res surface spawned by the lander before touchdown:).

Cheers,
Brian

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw that the MARCO cubesats are stowed next to each other. After the first is jettisoned, the boosters does a 180 deg. turn and then deploys the second one

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
where do I deselect surface terrian ?
On your Orbiter Launchpad window, select "Visual Effects" tab, untick the "Surface Elevation" box.

I saw that the MARCO cubesats are stowed next to each other. After the first is jettisoned, the boosters does a 180 deg. turn and then deploys the second one
Yeah, hadn't seen that video when I made the Centaur, it's close enough though.

Cheers,
Brian

Wuwuk

Reaction score
Thank you BrianJ for a great mod. The real InSight will land on Mars in 4.5 hours, and I planted it now))) Great job BrianJ.