News (Inspiration Mars) Dennis Tito Wants to Send Human Mission to Mars in 2018

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think this factor can be so quickly discarded. Although I admit it was VASTLY more luxurious than this proposed mission, people endured Mars 500 without even getting to go anywhere at all.

The tiny size might be all the difference between success and failure. After all Mars 500 would be more like a mansion compared to a prison cell. There are all sorts of people, though. If you find the right person for the job, it might be just fine.

As any sci-fi enthusiast may predict, however, people that seem right for the job may not be immune to cracking under the pressures and monotony of the mission.

I think the idea of "space madness" (or whatever) is older than actual space flight, is well recognized, and its threat is acknowledged or maybe even feared.

Why not send 1 person? I think a solitary mission could have a much greater chance of success than a double, given no interpersonal conflict, halved life support requirements, more space, etc. If theyre lonely they can write letters (emails)

Of course the psychologists would probably have a fit over that. Somehow people that thrive on independent work are labelled as antisocial & bad due to their natural personality.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Presser starting, Miles O'Brien talking.

"Welcome to Mars"
"The beauty of this mission is it's simplicity and audacity"
"There are no showstoppers that I can see to this mission."
"Columbus and Magellan would never have left harbor if they dwelled on the risks."

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Tito up, claims that he will not be on the mission. Extremely high standard crew selection process.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Columbus and Magellan would never have left harbor if they dwelled on the risks."

Yeah, but at least they got to stay on the ocean during the trip.

Ughh, I hate those awful history comparisons. If you want to allude to explorers, look at the people who explored the antarctic.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Launch on January 5th, 2018.
Flyby on August 21st, 2018.
Return on May 21st, 2019.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Yeah, but at least they got to stay on the ocean during the trip.

Ughh, I hate those awful history comparisons. If you want to allude to explorers, look at the people who explored the antarctic.

They were equal to duration, they couldn't turn back to port in a few hours if something went wrong. That's the comparison.

Tito: "It's a pretty easy mission. Difficult because it's a space mission."

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

"Mission will feature the highest re-entry speed done by any manned spacecraft."

An unfunded SAA from NASA to help with development.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Launch on January 5th, 2018.
Flyby on August 21st, 2018.
Return on May 21st, 2019.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

They were equal to duration, they couldn't turn back to port in a few hours if something went wrong. That's the comparison.

Tito: "It's a pretty easy mission. Difficult because it's a space mission."

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

"Mission will feature the highest re-entry speed done by any manned spacecraft."

And why couldnt they return to port?

Extra reentry shielding will add another item on the dragon todo list as well.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
And why couldnt they return to port?

Extra reentry shielding will add another item on the dragon todo list as well.

It would have taken months to return to port if a disaster had occurred halfway in the trip.

Dragon can already withstand a free return re-entry per Musk.

Tito down, O'Brien back up.

"No way to abort once en-route Mars"

MacCallum up now for environmental studies. MacCallum was extremely and highly skeptical at first until he read the studies.

"A Lewis and Clark style mission to Mars."

Confirmed a Venus flyby.

Water will be reused based off ISS technologies. Like a submarine, everything is designed to be serviceable inside the vehicle.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well, why it not works on Chrome? What a great start... :dry:

Using Chrome here, works fine.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Went to SpaceX for feasibility talks, have not begun talks yet for Dragon/Falcon Heavy duo.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I just put my company down as "N/A" ;)

Clark up, we all know who that is and his relation to NASA. Was also involved with the RedBull Space jump.

Clark - "This will be the Apollo 8 moment of the next generation."

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
They apparently are looking at various options - inflatable or rigid modules, one launch or two launches etc. Luckily it seems at least it won't be a "tin can" mission - there will be about 1200 cubic feet of pressurized space, with 600 cubic feet (17 cubic meters) of them available for moving around. That's larger than my bedroom, so I think it will be acceptable, especially when bringing one's girlfriend / wife on board (it was announced that the crew will be one man plus one woman)... :rofl:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Radiation is a concern, but not an absolute showstopper.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"

Clark down, O'Brien back up. Compares spacecraft to a Winnebago (SFN Shuttle coverage inside joke).

Poynter up.

Crew will be extremely busy during the mission, loads of experiments and observations as well as exercise and system maintenance.

Comparing mission to the 430+ day missions on Mir, Mars 500 mission on Earth. So it's possible to be done, but it does effect behavior.

The crew will be apparently a married couple to deal with psychological stress based on Poytner's experience in biosphere 2 mission.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Worth nothing #InspirationMars is the number one trending topic in Twitter.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Presser over. Loved Tito's response to the reporter who asked "are you doing this to beat China to Mars?"

"Wouldn't I wan't America to beat China to Mars - wouldn't you?"

Cheers from that one.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

NASA statement:
"This type of private sector effort is further evidence of the timeliness and wisdom of the Obama Administration's overall space policy and the enthusiasm to tap the innovative spirit of the private sector and share the interest people have in Mars exploration. It's a testament to the audacity of America's commercial aerospace industry and the adventurous spirit of America's citizen-explorers. NASA will continue discussions with Inspiration Mars to see how the agency might collaborate on mutually-beneficial activities that could complement NASA's human spaceflight, space technology and Mars exploration plans."

-David Steitz, NASA Spokesman

http://youtu.be/WRbaACVHfI4

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That NASA statement made my head hurt.

It's pretty much the platonic ideal of an empty political platitude, with a healthy dash of brown-nosing.

As for the rest, I can't wait.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Recording of press conference if anyone is interested.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It might be worth remembering that this is not as bonkers as talking about going to the Moon in 1960.

It might actually be possible if you're willing to take the same kind of risks as the Apollo astronauts did. But I doubt NASA would allow anyone to take such insane risk today.

:cheers:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And I doubt that they or anyone else need NASA to do such missions;)

SpaceX isn't going to build a new launch site in time for this one.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It might be worth remembering that this is not as bonkers as talking about going to the Moon in 1960.

It might actually be possible if you're willing to take the same kind of risks as the Apollo astronauts did. But I doubt NASA would allow anyone to take such insane risk today.

:cheers:

Don't be so sure about that, NASA's involved with this project through an SAA.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I guess I'll be skeptical, but optimistic about this one. I certainly hope it succeeds.