News (Inspiration Mars) Dennis Tito Wants to Send Human Mission to Mars in 2018

Staiduk

Reaction score
Well, I don't know anything about the physics, logistics or psychology of arranging such a mission; it may be fairy gold. But then again, it may not be.
I have a hunch - not supported by any science - that Mr. Tito might be on the right track. Think of it:
I have every respect for NASA; they're a good, intelligent organization that has done good things. But when have they done great things? NASA tends to default to the safe option. They try to stay within their comfort zone - little gains for minimal risk. That's their job - develop space; don't kill astronauts doing it. But occasionally circumstances - such as JFK's earth-shattering speech or the Apollo 13 crisis - have taken them out of their comfort zone and demanded results far beyond what they thought they could achieve. At those times they stepped up to the plate and showed what they're really capable of.

Don't belittle the very Human zeal to explore; it might be just what spaceflight needs. I think that this will happen - not in 2018, but perhaps in 2021 - and when it does the media will crow; Tito will bask, and Rutan will glower.
I have a hunch - again, supported by nothing more than my own idle, ignorant opinion - that we could be looking at the birth of the first commercial space-race. Tito vs. Rutan. Nothing spurs advance as fast as a commercial battle; so I think we could be looking at the first real step into the commercialization and subsequent colonization of space.

At least...I hope so. :)

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It might be worth remembering that this is not as bonkers as talking about going to the Moon in 1960.

It might actually be possible if you're willing to take the same kind of risks as the Apollo astronauts did. But I doubt NASA would allow anyone to take such insane risk today.

:cheers:

When John F. Kennedy said "we're going to the Moon", it was still 8,5 years to go until the deadline. The mission he was planning had a duration of 12 days and it was a entire country working on the project.

Now, Tito is a very wealthy man who has only 5 years on planning and launching a 42 times longer mission.

I would be veeeeeeeeery surprised if he only got the rocket to the launch pad by 15 years.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
When John F. Kennedy said "we're going to the Moon", it was still 8,5 years to go until the deadline. The mission he was planning had a duration of 12 days and it was a entire country working on the project.

Now, Tito is a very wealthy man who has only 5 years on planning and launching a 42 times longer mission.

I would be veeeeeeeeery surprised if he only got the rocket to the launch pad by 15 years.

Not a fair comparison, the Saturn V hadn't even existed in 1961.

Inspiration Mars plans to use rockets that are currently in existence or are currently well under-development.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Spaceflight Now : Private Mars mission: Inspiring or foolhardy ?

spacer.gif

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+2]Private Mars mission: Inspiring or foolhardy?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-2]BY JUSTIN RAY
SPACEFLIGHT NOW

Posted: February 27, 2013[/SIZE][/FONT]

spacer.gif

The self-made millionaire who paid for his own trip to the International Space Station a decade ago as the world's first orbital tourist wants to send a two-person crew on a 501-day flyby of Mars in 2018, skimming a mere 100 miles above the red planet's surface before looping back for a high-stakes return to Earth.

He just needs the money, spacecraft, launcher and two volunteers to mount the private -- and daring -- adventure.

marstito.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]An artist's concept of the spacecraft. Credit: Inspiration Mars Foundation

[/SIZE][/FONT]Dennis Tito, who captured headlines in a controversial April 2001 flight to the station aboard a Russian Soyuz on his own dime despite NASA objections, has created the nonprofit Inspiration Mars Foundation.

"Sending humans on an expedition to Mars will be a defining event for humanity as well as an inspiration to our youth," the team says in its feasibility study.

"Social media provides an opportunity for people to meaningfully participate in the mission, likely making this the most engaging human endeavor in modern history. The mission will address one of the most fundamental technical challenges facing human exploration of space, keeping the humans alive and productive in deep space."

The goal would use the relatively rare alignment of Earth and Mars to send a spacecraft on a so-called "free-return" trajectory, essentially flying a manned boomerang around the neighboring planet and returning home without needing any major propulsion to get back.

But there will be no way to abort the mission once departure from Earth occurs, leaving the astronauts with only their own wits and ingenuity to fix troubles along the way.

Taber MacCallum, the chief technical officer for Inspiration Mars and CEO of Paragon Space Development Corp., said it's "the kind of risk America used to be able to take."

"That's the kind of bold thing we used to be able to do, we don't do that anymore," he said. "We've shirked away from risk. I think just seriously contemplating this mission recalibrates what we believe is a risk worth taking for America."

Reliability of the closed-loop life support system, limited knowledge of deep-space radiation and the high-speed re-entry are the three riskiest parts of the endeavor, officials said.

Lifting off on Jan. 5, 2018 atop a high-performance rocket such as the existing United Launch Alliance Delta 4-Heavy or one in development like SpaceX's Falcon Heavy, the 10-ton capsule and its inflatable habitat will leave Earth for mankind's first human journey to Mars.

It will take 227 days to transit across interplanetary space, braving the dangers of radiation, prolonged exposure to microgravity, the worries of hardware breakdowns and the psychological impacts of being cooped up in the cramped craft for so long.

Bringing all the water and oxygen in big tanks would be prohibitive, so the crew will drink the same water and breath same oxygen over and over again through recycling urine and sweat and scrubbing carbon dioxide.

There will be no need for spacewalks and controllers will rely on the astronauts instead of largely automating the spacecraft.

About 3,000 pounds of dehydrated food would be loaded aboard to feed the crew for a year-and-a-half in the spaceship that is roughly the size of a small Winnebago.

winnebago.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]The spacecraft will be roughly the size of a Winnebago. Credit: Inspiration Mars Foundation

[/SIZE][/FONT]Calling the mission "austere" and "barebones" to keep costs down and the hardware simplistic, the foundation says it won't have to follow all of NASA's strict air- and water-quality rules. And they will rely on a mechanically-inclined crew to make repairs as necessary during the trek.

Tito is self-funding the project for the first two years, ensuring it gets a solid footing until external financial support can be found and pumped into the mission. Engineering work on "critical-path items" started last month.

If the early 2018 launch window is missed, the next opportunity for the free-return trajectory won't come around again until 2031.

Tito, now 72, holds a master's degree in engineering and worked early in life at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory designing trajectories for flybys of Mars and Venus using robotic Mariner probes and then entered the investment industry where he made made millions, also added that he would not be taking the trip himself.

"It will be quite a crew selection process," he said.

He wants the two-person, middle-aged crew to include a man and woman, preferably married, to take the journey that he calls a "sea change" to move beyond only talking about human expeditions to Mars into real action.

But Homer Hickham, author or "Rocket Boys/October Sky," fired back with a Twitter posting: "A married couple in a bathroom for 501 days? I love my wife but rather take my cat and some good books."

Jon Clark, a former NASA flight surgeon whose wife, Laurel Clark, died in the 2003 Columbia disaster, said exhaustive screening procedures will be used to select candidates with excellent health, technical competence and psychological stability.

The crew must accept the personal risks such a voyage would entail, including increased chances of developing cancer from the radiation they would experience. Clark said estimates put the excess cancer mortality rate over a lifetime "in that ballpark" of around the three-percent limit NASA has for its own missions.

"So, the real issue here is understanding the risk in an informed capacity. The crew would understand that. Ultimately, that is going to be the decision based on that informed consent," Clark said.

The 2018-2019 timeframe, however, will coincide with the 11-year solar minimum providing the lowest solar radiation exposure, the foundation said.

Still, the duo would give humanity its first adventure away from Earth and its moon, which was visited from 1969 to 1972 by Apollo astronauts.

"When nations boldly follow opportunities, rooted in curiosity and guided by technological innovation, they grow, prosper, learn and lead. And this is what makes a nation great," said Tito.

"Human exploration of space is a critical catalyst for our future growth and prosperity," he added. "This is 'A Mission for America' that will generate knowledge, experience and momentum for the next great era of space exploration. It will encourage and embolden all Americans to believe, again, in doing the hard things that make our nation great, and inspire the next generation of explorers to pursue their destiny through STEM education."

In the foundation's unveiling Wednesday in Washington, Tito cited private individuals, charitable organization, charging NASA science data fees for experiments run during the mission and even selling lucrative media rights would fund the mission.

"Dr. Phil solving their marital problems, it will be great," Tito quipped.
Although unwilling to disclose how much he is spending or how much the mission will cost in all, Tito said the project would be "much, much lower" than the conventional wisdom on Mars mission price tags and more in line with low-Earth-orbit flights.

"Compared to, say, the landing missions, even if you could contemplate what an overall landing mission to Mars might cost or even in today's dollars what the Apollo missions cost, you're talking a factor of a hundred (less). This is really chump change."

"It uses low-Earth-orbit architecture and we're just adapting it, in effect, to a very large Earth orbit that ... just happens to go out pretty far," Tito said. "But you're really flying this mission without a propulsion system on the spacecraft, it's in the most simple form."

flyby.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]An artist's concept of the flyby specifics. Credit: Inspiration Mars Foundation

[/SIZE][/FONT]After swinging around Mars on Aug. 20, 2018, going behind the planet on the "dark side" at closest approach, the spacecraft will head for home on a 274-day cruise without requiring any maneuvers and major propulsive engine firings to commence the trip back. Then comes the harrowing re-entry, plowing into the atmosphere at a staggering 31,800 mph, an unprecedented speed for a manned spacecraft.

The foundation has signed a Space Act Agreement with NASA's Ames Research Center in California to work on a heat shield capable of withstanding the fiery plunge toward a landing.

Builders of the spacecraft could include the SpaceX Dragon, Boeing's CST-100 capsule or possibly Lockheed Martin's Orion. Bigelow's inflatable habitat or the Italian-made cargo modules from the Cygnus supply ships could be added to the spacecraft to give the crew added room.

Mission planners are considering a 1,200-cubic-foot spacecraft, half of which would be filled with food, water tanks, life support gear and spare parts. The crew would have about 600 cubic feet of living space.

Landing would be May 21, 2019, just months shy of the 50th anniversary of man's first walk on the moon by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and 500 years since Ferdinand Magellan set sail on the first expedition to circumnavigate the Earth.

"There are lots of options and ways to get this done," MacCallum said. "We have an amazing industrial base and it's about time America stood up and proved to the rest of the world we've got, bar none, the best industrial base in the world. Let's show it to them. Let's do this mission."

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

He just needs the money, spacecraft, launcher and two volunteers to mount the private -- and daring -- adventure.

I don't want to be seen as too sceptical but the "just" word here make me laugh a little bit. ;)

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Sounds doable. Although much more awesome mission would be to land on Phobos or Deimos. However that would require at least 2 or 3 Falcon Heavy launches to launch Earth return stage and Earth departure stage and costs would go up massively because new rocket stages would have to be developed. and assembly in Earth orbit required.
Main benefit of a flyby mission would be to prove humans can survive the long trip and more advanced missions like visiting Phobos or Deimos and eventually landing on the Mars are doable with some additional funding.

As far as humans spending 500 days in isolation. That is not a major problem. Look
http://1000days.net/home/

A guy sailed his yacht for over 1000 days in oceans of the world never coming in sight with land and did not become insane. A candidate for long duration space mission right there.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
A guy sailed his yacht for over 1000 days in oceans of the world never coming in sight with land and did not become insane. A candidate for long duration space mission right there.

A yacht is much different than a capsule crammed with equipment and maybe a hab module attached. Space is also a much more unforgiving and barren environment than the ocean.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think they should do some more research first then instead of a fly by an actual landing. I heard on the news that the reason they are not landing is to save money as it is a private company. Instead of competing with each other would it not br better to make an international space agency where all nations that want to can tribute. I think this would make research alot faster.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A yacht is much different than a capsule crammed with equipment and maybe a hab module attached. Space is also a much more unforgiving and barren environment than the ocean.

I agree. We should avoid those kind of comparisons. Even compared to the Apollo program, this is very very different. Economically and politically, the world has completely changed, and the duration of Mars missions make them very specific.

On a yacht, a skilled man and adventurous can survive almost forever, fishing, eating seaweed the bad days, collecting rain that flows along the sails, repairing stuff, spending a few weeks working in ports here and there around the world to make some money to buy the spare parts that can't be manufactured... We had several of those in France (Bernard Moitessier, Eric Tabarly, etc...).

In space, there is nothing, apart some useless particules and nocive radiations. And - most importantly - no rescue chopper or at least airplanes that can drop you a survival kit and a GPS beacon in a matter of hours.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I agree. We should avoid those kind of comparisons. Even compared to the Apollo program, this is very very different. Economically and politically, the world has completely changed, and the duration of Mars missions make them very specific.

On a yacht, a skilled man and adventurous can survive almost forever, fishing, eating seaweed the bad days, collecting rain that flows along the sails, repairing stuff, spending a few weeks working in ports here and there around the world to make some money to buy the spare parts that can't be manufactured... We had several of those in France (Bernard Moitessier, Eric Tabarly, etc...).

In space, there is nothing, apart some useless particules and nocive radiations. And - most importantly - no rescue chopper or at least airplanes that can drop you a survival kit and a GPS beacon in a matter of hours.

I'm not trying to directly compare a space mission to boating. I just point out that humans staying for long periods in isolation and cramped conditions is nothing new. Early polar explorers in some ways were even more isolated than astronauts becasue they had no means of communication and also no chance of rescue if something catastrophic happened.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Excuse me If I call this as even more... whats the right word here... audacious than even Mars One, and hear me out on this. The Mars One project is a large group of people with a broad knowledge in the areas required to accomplish their goal who THEN went out and found the funding for it. They're taking is slowly, and making sure everything is ready. And there's going to be actual scientific benefits come out of this, if it actually works. This on the other hand, is a man with far to much money who then went and found the people needed to make HIS plan work. He appears to be trying to do this as fast as possible, and I can't see any scientific benefits to be gained from it.

MattBaker

Reaction score
and I can't see any scientific benefits to be gained from it.

Never before in human history men (and women) stayed over 400 days so far away from home that they can't even see their homeplanet brighter than a star.
But yeah, flying 500 days through outer space is useless, no one needs to know if the human body can do that.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Never before in human history men (and women) stayed over 400 days so far away from home that they can't even see their homeplanet brighter than a star.
But yeah, flying 500 days through outer space is useless, no one needs to know if the human body can do that.

You could never simulate loneliness of this magnitude, and I'm sure they can come up with loads of experiments to do during both cruise and encounter. The primary object of this mission isn't even science. It's Inspiration!!! (The clue is in the title) :lol:

The main problem is the unbelievably short deadline, and they'll have to cut all kinds of corners to make it. Even if most of the technologies are sort of proven, the actual hardware still has to be built and tested. To get it done in time for the 2018 window, they have to take risks almost comparable to Apollo. (Yes, I heard Tito say he wouldn't send a crew if he was less than 99.99% sure of their safety, but this will NOT score 1/1000 in NASA's safety system in such a short time)

PS: Is anyone else blown away by the collection of people in that press conference? There was one representing equal rights for women and the rest was senior citizens (or very close). It used to be young people that were willing to take risks, while more mature people would be more cautious. IIRC the average age in mission control during the Apollo 11 landing was 24!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Excuse me If I call this as even more... whats the right word here... audacious than even Mars One, and hear me out on this. The Mars One project is a large group of people with a broad knowledge in the areas required to accomplish their goal who THEN went out and found the funding for it. They're taking is slowly, and making sure everything is ready. And there's going to be actual scientific benefits come out of this, if it actually works. This on the other hand, is a man with far to much money who then went and found the people needed to make HIS plan work. He appears to be trying to do this as fast as possible, and I can't see any scientific benefits to be gained from it.

1) It would test if people can make it to another planet without being sterilized.
2) It would see if people can go beyond the influence of Earth without being sterilized.
3) It would test to see if manned spacecraft can go beyond the influence of Earth without being sterilized.
4) It would test current BEO heatshield development to see if a manned spacecraft can withstand a return from Mars.
5) It would test to see if anyone can survive in space without a resupply mission.
6) It would test crew psychology for future missions.
7) It would test to see if crews are able to preform EVA's to repair vehicles.

All of these are questions that would be incredibly useful to know before we actually send a man onto the surface of Mars.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This totally reminds me of something:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT_UNZWyc4

Best Orbiter video of all time IMO. Gives me chills every time I watch it.

1) It would test if people can make it to another planet without being sterilized.
2) It would see if people can go beyond the influence of Earth without being sterilized.
3) It would test to see if manned spacecraft can go beyond the influence of Earth without being sterilized.
4) It would test current BEO heatshield development to see if a manned spacecraft can withstand a return from Mars.
5) It would test to see if anyone can survive in space without a resupply mission.
6) It would test crew psychology for future missions.
7) It would test to see if crews are able to preform EVA's to repair vehicles.

All of these are questions that would be incredibly useful to know before we actually send a man onto the surface of Mars.

All very important goals indeed. I understand a lot of proponents on the Mars Direct side of things sometimes feel like the risks are overstated, but there are a lot of dangers to leaving Earth for the first time.

If you're not sure, consider this: A higher than normal percentage of the Apollo astronauts appear to be developing eye cancer in their old age, even though their missions were short & mostly inside the Earths magnetic field. Its also a fairly convincing reason to believe that the landings weren't faked too...

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Well, do everybody noted that all artists concept show not a Dragon, but a old Orion design with a BEAM module on it.

And did nobody noted also that there totally not link to a Dragon spacecraft? We not even known what for spacecraft there will use for it.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
I don't want to be seen as too sceptical but the "just" word here make me laugh a little bit. ;)

Skepticism is certainly understandable at this stage. However, technically it is well feasible. And in regards to cost, we might make a comparison to the Apollo missions. The greatest costs were for the development of the launcher and the launch costs. However, in this case SpaceX is already paying for the development of the Falcon Heavy, and their quoted launch price for it is only $120 million.
This majorly reduces mission costs.

Bob Clark

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

As far as humans spending 500 days in isolation. That is not a major problem. Look
http://1000days.net/home/

Thanks for that. An amazing story.

Bob Clark

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a pity they don't plan to develop a specific SSTO in those 5 years, though.