Question Installing addons

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am wondering about installing addons. May be it is the zip file structure. For instance the SLS unzip into an SLS folder and then you copy all files into orbiter. While some unzip directly into orbiter

lunar

Reaction score
I like the second one.
Also noticed that some addons have text files in root directory. imo it should be in docs, else user's orbiter root may get quickly crowded

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also some use the text file name README. which overrides any existing README. Seems like it should be READMESLS,.....

diogom

Reaction score
I'd say every file of an addon should be in a folder unique to that addon, documentation included. Crowding aside, also means stuff that shouldn't doesn't get overwritten. If anything, it makes managing files easier for the dev I think.
The zip thing just depends if you zip up all the individual addon folders or the folder containing them. I always open the zip and copy the folders myself, so to me it's irrelevant, but no extra effort in doing the former.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I prefer the ones that unzip directly in the right folders. Simpler is better. Then yes, no file should be added to the root directory, there's a doc folder for a reason. And in that doc folder you should have the addon docs in a subfolder.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Like others mentioned, the addon should unzip to the right folders, and have unique file and folder names.
And names should take into account other similar addons. For example "SLS" is too generic and might be used by other addons.
So I suggest also adding your username: "Gattis_SLS". This way it's easy to identify everything.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
If only all the devs followed Martins’ instructions in his docs. I like diogom’s suggestion to copy manually, then you can put them where they belong, and catch the same file names thing.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I think, this is not the first thread on this topic ...

What I recommend is to use an addon manager (mod enabler) program. I use JSGME.
You create a folder MODS, which will be a repository of mods (addons) you would like to install.
Then unzip the files into this folder (e.g. "MODS\falcon9_o2016_210425").

After that start JSGME and activate the mods you would like.
  • JSGME keeps track on conflicting files and informs you.
  • The original files are stil in the MODS folder, so you can have a look on a readme.txt of a specific addon
  • Deactivating the addons is possbile. In case of conflicts the deactivation follows the reverse sequence of the installation.

I suggest to give it a try. JSGME is free and easy to use.