Interesting Interplanetary Flights You've Made

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
What are some interplanetary flights you've made that would fall in the historical category if done in real life.

After I took the time to figure out how to use IMFD, I modified the NASSP's Saturn V by strapping on stages from other spacecraft and SRB's. That gave it enough thrust and fuel to make it to Mars. I guess you could say i landed well. The LEM (or in this case the MEM :rofl:) just free falled the majority of the way, but I used some fuel to keep it from getting excessive heat build-up and burning up. I landed with about a second of fuel to spare. Talk about a close call!

Enough of my stories what about yours?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
lol Apollo. I assume the LEM (MEM :p) would need to be built out of new materials to withstand any atmospheric drag without quickly ripping apart. (LEM might as well be aluminum foil... actually aluminum foil might be stronger XD)

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
Yeah your right quick nick. Apollo's LEM would just get torn up from the drag.

synonys

Reaction score
Earth > Jupiter(retrograde sling) > Sun(within mercury's orbit) > Saturn > Neptune

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
That is an awesome flight synonys. Did you stay at Jupiter or come back to Earth?

synonys

Reaction score
That is an awesome flight synonys. Did you stay at Jupiter or come back to Earth?
No, I did a gravity slingshot similar to voyage but instead of adding dv and ejecting me from the solar system, I swung by jupiter on the left side and it altered my coarse, actually sending back towards the sun. I had to do this because saturn was on the other side of the sun from jupiter. It was a very long flight, I believe I left earth 2006, arrived at jupiter 2007 and got to saturn in 2015.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I have yet to complete an interplanetary flight. I started a flight to Mars a while back, and cranked up the time compression, but the school's computer lab closed before I got to Mars:( I haven't tried it at home yet; I want to wait until I get back up to speed on moon shots, return moon-shots, and docking.

Interplanetary space is a little frightening for a newbie such as myself. There is nothing more unsettling for a newbie than looking down and seeing stars under you, particularly when you don't have the beautiful blue Earth there to give you some orientation.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Neptune

Earth --> slingshot(sun) --> slingshot(Jupiter) --> Neptune

it was actualy very fule efficent

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
Wow. What is all of you guys' longest flights?

Mine was taking the DGIV to Neptune.

Earth> Sun (slingshot)> Jupiters Moon IO (refuel) > Neptune (slingshot)> Sun (slingshot) > out of Solar System.

Took about 2 days with time on fast forward and saving at pitstop planets. Time on orbiter was 20 years. Ran out of O2 on final sun slingshot.

flaugher

Reaction score
This is what got me interested in continual thrust (other thread I started on the 1-G Spaceship). I wanted to go on planetary tours but it seems pretty unrealistic. Well, realistic, but unpractical as I would be old when I got back. Anyhow, a constant thrust ship is pie in the sky today, but then again ...

I really like the hydrogen scoop ramjet idea (refuel ourselves as we go). Anyhow, I started cheating and jumped my technology ahead 50 years, downloaded the AGMFD for constant acceleration/deceleration, and got to Mars in 4 days. Now THAT was reasonable. What a breakthrough that will be someday when we have it. And, once that breakthrough comes, it WILL be realistic. Lot of problems go away like weightlessness, tons of supplies, fuel etcetera.

I have two scenarios where I've placed a Crystal Palace orbiting Jupiter and a wheel orbiting Saturn. I jaunt out from there to explore the moons and space between. Caught a lot of eclipses, transists, and such, many by accident. Nice nice nice. :)

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It was qite some time ago, and I lost all my screenshots and logs of the grand voyage in a hard disk crash since, but I did have an impressive run one time. I can't quite remember how it went, but it was something like this:

Took a Shuttle-A with all the cargo pods, ejected to venus for a sling to Mars, then dropped two pods around Phobos and refueled. I then ejected to Jupiter for a sling to Saturn. During my sling, I had a close coincidental encounter with one of the moons, Ganymeade, I think. Zipping past Saturn, I continued all the way out to Pluto. It was my first time ever getting there, and wow did it take a long time. I did a few trips between Pluto and Charon, it was a new expirience for me to deal with, as they are so close in size as well as proximity. Ejecting from Pluto, I used Neptune's gravity to send me by Venus to alter my course to send me back home to Earth, where I aerocaptured and sent myself for a landing on Luna.

All told, with the cruising out deep in the solar system, and waiting for launch windows... The trip time was somewhere over 100 years, and I don't know about you, but while I love space travel, I don't know if I'd care to do 100+ years of it in a Shuttle-A cabin.

(Just a little disclaimer: it has been long enough for the memories of it to fade, and I could have gotten some of those details out of sequence/mixed up with other flights, so I can't be sure how accurate my account of it all is I just know that I pushed my space navigation skills to the limit and it was sure worth it.) :)

Sam

Reaction score
What are some interplanetary flights you've made that would fall in the historical category if done in real life.

Don't know if this qualifies as real-life-historic, but I did Earth -> sling at Jupiter -> Saturn once with only the basic stock MFDs; no TransX, IMFD, etc. Needed a few Tylenol to get there, and a few beers after -- way too much work! :rofl:

SAM

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
u put us to shame. as for me i think the best trip i did was from earth > Moon (slingshot) > Jupiter (slingshot) > Sun (slingshot) > Neptune (saved game and gave up on orbiter for a week, came back and...) > saturn (slingshot) > mars (refuel again) > Earth.

i wanted to fly past venus but it was on the oposite side of the system when i hit mars so i just decided to head back home. total trip was like 90+ years

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, I need to try that out Andy, currently I don't know what to do in Orbiter. Maybe I'll also try the Venus flyby. But before that I'll do Eris Explorer and Voyager.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just did a trip from Mars to Earth in the XR2 Ravenstar. One catch though--I did a complete deadstick reentry. The last time I fired my main engines was about 2000 kilometers away from Earth. I went from about 25,500 mph to 0 and made a perfect touchdown at Wideawake International.:cheers:

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Oh geeze, where do I begin. Interplanetary flights are my bread and butter. Let's see:

Eris Explorer - Earth -> Jupiter -> Saturn -> Neptune -> Eris & Dysnomia
Io Orbiter - Earth -> Venus -> Earth -> Earth -> Io Orbit -> Io Landing
Chapman Missions - Tons of places, most recently using an Chapman Ion-2 to orbit Ida, then its moon Dactyl (very cool, you can see your shadow on the surface).
Chapman Outer to Haumea - Earth -> Jupiter -> Haumea (passing withing 100ft of the surface).
And of course there's my farthest trip I ever did, a DGIV out to Sedna. That was done on the last version of Orbiter, so it only had 10,000x acceleration. Took me about 22hours of playing time to get there.