Software Intermittent CTDs on long flights

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
hey all

iev recently been annoyed by my old pal, the CTD, far more regularly than usual.

whilst i purge my orbiter directory, perhaps you kind people could help me troubleshoot:

the CTDs tend to happen at high time compressions (like when i go between moons, or do interplanetary trips), not during the slower atmospheric flights or orbit cruising. i also get some frame-freezes occasionally, the graphics freeze and the playing sound loops, then resume after a couple of seconds, either as if nothing had happened (time skips forward to my eyes) or resumes from the frozen point, if i alter the time compression during the freeze.

i have a few ideas what may be causing these pesky problems:

1) having many addons (i do tend to just pile them all together, even finding some weird glitches sometimes (this is my first idea, im fixing it as soon as i finish writing this)

2)Windows 7 may have some issues with the older (?) engine. ive read about some windows 7 issues before, but more serious than my own problems, perhaps compatibility mode will help? or are there any workarounds?

3) graphics card. not the most likely cause i dont believe, since ATI regularly updates the client housed somewhere in my dusty machine (that needs replacing), and the ATI Radeon 3000 (intergrated) has never given me any problems before, except being pants-slow and throttling my framerates, even on minecraft and older games

4)general old-computer syndrome setting in.
okay, me computer is only 4-5 years old, but its getting out of its depth more and more often every month, sometimes i wonder if a technician would recognise the old parts in there, but i do understand that people manage to run orbiter on very old laptops, which blows this theory apart, making my computer look like a fresh young'un compared to some out there

what does anyone think is the most likely cause? and is it something i can fix without shelling out for a new computer (im trying to save up and clear the finance on my motorbike ASAP)

thanks peeps!

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

woo, my orbiter installation was up to 4.09 Gb... perhaps it was the addons mounting