Launch News International Lunar Research Station

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
The International Lunar Research Station (ILRS) is a planned lunar base currently being developed by Roscosmos and the China National Space Administration. The ILRS will serve as a comprehensive scientific experiment base built on the lunar surface or in lunar orbit that can carry out multi-disciplinary and multi-objective scientific research activities including exploration and utilization, lunar-based observation, basic scientific experiment and technical verification, and long-term autonomous operation. Statements from Roscosmos and CNSA underline that the project will be "open to all interested countries and international partners

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Besides my political views with this program, I am glad to see that more countries are going forward to the Moon.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cooperation in space between Russia and China makes sense, and is probably a necessary step in order for those countries to make ambitious projects become real.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
the treaty will be signed by 11 countries (I did not find the list)

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Report of the Head of the Ballistics Department of RSC Energia
tells about the Two-turn circuit of the Soyuz flight to the ISS and the flight around the moon using Soyuz-2 (to fly to the moon, the ship needs to dock with the upper stage in orbit)

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Report of the Head of the Ballistics Department of RSC Energia
tells about the Two-turn circuit of the Soyuz flight to the ISS and the flight around the moon using Soyuz-2 (to fly to the moon, the ship needs to dock with the upper stage in orbit)
Since I don't know much Russkiy, I can't understand the two-turn circuit of Soyuz. So I want to ask, how the Soyuz-2 upper stage would be able to send the spacecraft to the Moon? I thought it would require a rocket like Energia for Russia to do so, and recently there had been some talks to develop a rocket derived from Energia instead of pushing the Angara program.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since I don't know much Russkiy, I can't understand the two-turn circuit of Soyuz. So I want to ask, how the Soyuz-2 upper stage would be able to send the spacecraft to the Moon? I thought it would require a rocket like Energia for Russia to do so, and recently there had been some talks to develop a rocket derived from Energia instead of pushing the Angara program.

Actually I spent some time on this already (ten years ago), and the Proton-M was just a little short to make it really work. Things are better with Angara, especially Angara 5/KVTK. I don't understand everything in the video, I rely on Google translation which is a great tool but of course far from perfect.

I think the scenario is to have a Soyuz-TMA "on standby" docked to the ISS, with some extra ablative material layers to the heat shield and maybe some extra mass optimization. Then, when the TMA crew is already in space and "on alert", you launch the Angara with the KVTK spacetug, in a way that it requires very little time and Delta-V for the Soyuz to dock it. Timing is essential because KVTK is LOX/LH2, every hour counts and having a spacecraft already waiting for the tug is the safest way to do it. Then yes a lunar fly-by with more-or-less free return (Soyuz engine can assist to shorten the return trip) is at reach.

So it can be done as long as you can insert the KVTK very near the ISS, which means a limited launch window but nothing impossible there.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I think the scenario is to have a Soyuz-TMA "on standby" docked to the ISS, with some extra ablative material layers to the heat shield and maybe some extra mass optimization. Then, when the TMA crew is already in space and "on alert", you launch the Angara with the KVTK spacetug, in a way that it requires very little time and Delta-V for the Soyuz to dock it. Timing is essential because KVTK is LOX/LH2, every hour counts and having a spacecraft already waiting for the tug is the safest way to do it. Then yes a lunar fly-by with more-or-less free return (Soyuz engine can assist to shorten the return trip) is at reach.
Hmm, I thought the production of Soyuz TMA is stopped in favor of Soyuz MS back in 2016.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
MS is a digitalized TMA, an upgrade with modern electronics, that's the same "family".

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
"Orel" spacecraft will be used to travel to the station in earth orbit, for lunar flybys, a lightweight version of the "Орлёнок" will be used
Chinese have the same system
4010501070.jpg16210156884341.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to spend some time on the various projects at the end of February, I have 2 weeks of holidays (and a lot of things to do already...)

Note : nice pics above, the good thing with those all-digital spacecraft is that the VC isn't a big deal to model. But it probably requires some specific MFDs (even if we don't have the whole thing, a simplified interface would be ok...)

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
How the hell is that possible given the long-term Sino-Indian border dispute in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh? According to Indian (and not Western) media, India has slammed China for interfering with India's internal matters like Kashmir.

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Let's not get too political here Soumya
I was addressing the myth that the coin of Sino-Indian relations is suddenly flipped. Otherwise, I'm generally neutral towards these political hotchpotches outside the Basement.