Iron Hill Project Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
As of midnight on the 14th, Mojoey has resigned from the Iron Hill Project:(
In accordance with backup procedures, I am appointing Felipi1205 as commander of Odyssey (I will remain pilot:)), and I'm joining the Geology team as Mojoey's replacement for this rotation.

Fortunately, we should have little trouble finding a permanent replacement, as the A-Crew will not make their second trip to Mercury until well into 2013. But if you guys know anyone else who might be interested in the project, please send them a PM and see if you can get them to join:)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I do appologize to everyone, situations and circumstances did get in the way of my duties. :cheers:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Houston, here is our weekly update. We are now right on course for Mercury, with a periapsis of 893.8 km, with 93 days to insertion:) It took me several days of small translation burns.

I would like to call a chat meeting in the wardroom within the next week. Everyone please post dates and times when you will be available. And Mo, you're invited too;)

The purpose will be to discuss various aspects of the mission, mostly the development front:)

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I'm the commander of the Odyssey now? And I can use the chat in the next week, except for tuesday... Just three months to the insertion? Looks good!

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
So I'm the commander of the Odyssey now?
You are indeed:) But Sorendafabico and Mattyv at Houston are in control of the mission itself;)

And I can use the chat in the next week, except for tuesday... Just three months to the insertion? Looks good!
Okay, so Monday is possible. I'll wait on responses from the others...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Hearing no objections, the meeting is tomorrow at 16:00 UTC:) See everyone then!

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Please welcome ProAuroraX and Kuatyards to the Iron Hill Project B-Crew:) They'll be arriving at Mercury just as we are heading home:)

---------- Post added 05-21-12 at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-20-12 at 03:55 PM ----------

Nobody showed up in chat:(, so we'll have the meeting here.
First item: How are things going on the development front?

I finished the cot, but I did it in Blender, so I need a way to export it to Orbiter format. I'm still working on the mass spec.

I know Felipi had finished the suits. How is the height map looking?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Couldn't use the chat today, had some problems here... :shrug:
There's not too much to see in the height map, Orulex don't liked of it! It don't appear in the simulation, only the default unrealistic map!

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Meh, that's no problem;) The unrealistic one still looks spectacular:)

---------- Post added 05-22-12 at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-21-12 at 04:11 PM ----------

Next item: this is pretty minor, but with Mojoey bowing out, who will be the first person to set foot on Mercury? I'd like it to go to either Felipi or Lydia, but everyone will have the opportunity to speak up:)

RickD

Reaction score
Meh, that's no problem;) The unrealistic one still looks spectacular:)

---------- Post added 05-22-12 at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-21-12 at 04:11 PM ----------

Next item: this is pretty minor, but with Mojoey bowing out, who will be the first person to set foot on Mercury? I'd like it to go to either Felipi or Lydia, but everyone will have the opportunity to speak up:)

Sorry about the chat, but I've been traveling. I think that TMac3000 should hit the surface first. You have certainly been the mainspring behind this effort and done the most work. If that is unacceptable to you for some reason, then it must be Felipi, of course, who has also made a huge contribution.

Rick

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I vote for Tmac (but...you know...I could become available before the landing)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the nominations, guys! I accept:speakcool:
What I'll do is take the first steps on landing, then pass the scenario to Felipi, who will have the UMMUs of me, himself, and Lydia at his disposal for setting up the base core and the bunk areas (so we don't have to spend the night on the ship:))

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

But the honor goes back to Mo if he rejoins:)

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are we going to use the new Arrow version in the future? It's just awesome!

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
For the next project, I plan for the team (us or whoever decides to join) to develop our own ship:)
But if the new Arrow is ready by October, I might upgrade the Columbus;)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
whenever I get finished with it, you guys can use Von Braun Spaceport as your BOE

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
You might have noticed I didn't post the weekly update tonight:(
Explanation: electrical problems related to my Orbiter machine forced me to leave it unplugged. A sensible precaution, considering what happened to the last space mission that had an electrical problem:p

Felipi, you up to flying her for a few days? If so, you can just continue from the last upload. All you have to do is update the clock once a day, and then once a week post an update on the forum like I've been doing. VERY IMPORTANT: when updating the clock, make sure that BOTH dropdown boxes read "Propagate along osculating elements". Otherwise, the ship's position will not update correctly!

Again, sorry about this. We're working on a solution, but it's going to take a few days at least.