Iron Hill Project Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I am planning an interplanetary excursion.

I need to ferry cargo and crew from the ground on Earth to an Arrow freighter in LEO. I have found two ways to do this:

1. Use an XR-5 as the cargo ferry and the XR-2 as a crew ferry. This requires the very delicate task of docking an XR-2 to an Arrow Freighter.

2. Use only the XR-5, and space-walk the crew from that to the Arrow. This strikes me as much more ballsy, since it exposes the crew to more risk, but requires only one ship (not counting the Arrow, of course:p) and one mission, and saves significant delta-v. Now, the target is Mercury, so saving delta-v is even more imperative than in an average interplanetary mission.

I have tried both options, and both seem feasible, although the space-walk has proved much more tedious. I do realize that as the mission commander it is ultimately my call, but I am curious as to the thoughts of my fellow Orbinauts. Dock or walk?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I would dock, since the bay was designed to handle the XR2. no point in going for a walk in hard vaccuum, when you can walk through the docking tunnel. ;)

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
A third ship? An interesting idea, but

1) I don't think its UMMU compatible
2) It would add even more cost to the mission:tiphat:

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I would dock, since hte bay was designed to handle the XR2. no point in going for a walk in hard vaccuum, when you can walk through the docking tunnel. ;)

It would be a zillion times easier if the XR5 could dock to the Arrow:lol:

Columbia42

Reaction score
There is a UMMU version of Shuttle PB (with a nice VC) here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3844"]Total Immersion - Shuttle PB[/ame]

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I say space walk. You could use a "bridge" between the Arrow and XR-5. You could use default modules to create a long tube that provides enough space inbetween the arrow, and xr-5.

Scattykat

Reaction score
It took a bit of bodging but I used a Soyuz/Progress Docking Module from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2857"]Various Space Station Modules[/ame] and two x SD_st_module_1 from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5528"]SD stations modules[/ame] and got this result:

Hope this helps :)

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey, and for save Delta-v you could make a Venusian fly-by...

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Presumably, you're going to end up docking your XR2 in there before you leave anyway, so I'd have to agree with MaverickSawyer. Though Scattycats idea is interesting.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another vote here for docking with the XR2. Much more effort and time required for either XR5 scenario, docking with adapter or EVAs.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I have decided to go with option 1 and dock. It's a little trickier and more expensive, but after many, many simulated deaths during EVA mostly due to disorientation (I think two cracked their face-plates on the gravity wheel and one flew off into space:facepalm:), the docking option seems safer. There's the danger of collision of course, but certainly lives are more important than equipment.

Again, I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, and wish me a safe journey to the iron planet:tiphat:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Docking an xr2 to the arrow isn't too difficult. Go slow and when you reach the bay just translate up and over to the docking port. As long as you don't have to time your approach to go through a spinning gravity wheel (the mini-golf approach) you should be fine. It's also nice to be able to take a ship with you so that when you get back to earth you can get your UMMUs feet back on Earth without an extra launch.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And going to Mercury with the XR-2 docked you can have an emergency rescue ship!

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I think docking is the safer solution, also leaving a ship in the docking-bay for landing, coming back - but space-walk... - this IS freaking cool...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The mission is unofficially known as the Iron Hill Project, and has the goal of placing a five-man scientific habitat at Chao-Meng-Fu Crater on Mercury's south pole. This is a safe location because 40% of it lies in permanent shadow. The crew will conduct solar research, geologic studies, and radio astronomy.

It's currently in the late simulation stage: I haven't even picked a launch window yet, though I am aiming for a late spring departure with arrival in late summer or early fall. I'll be doing it in real time, but in "update style" in which you use the scenario editor to set the date to "Now" to see the mission's progress, instead of tying up my computer for four months:)

I will be sending frequent updates, and possibly renaming this thread to "The Iron Hill Project."

Again, all input is appreciated:)