Iron Hill Project Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Current state for Discovery is here

View attachment Discovery TEI burn nominal.scn

MCC will be necessary at some point, but we should have lots of time to keep up with that along the way. I had to weed out the XR vessels, as it turned out they were causing the massive FPS drops while running the scenario. I cant stress enough for future missions, Keep the scenario files clean!!!

Good to be underway:)
:hailprobe:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
7qzFZlOh.jpg

Okay, first MCC of the return trip was logged today, ~163 m/s on RCS.

View attachment IHP Discovery MCC logged 240913.scn

We are currently crossing the Earths orbit, rising up a bit before sinking back down again to the rendezvous. Todays MCC adjusted our Earth encounter so that we approach the far side of the moon at full moon. Our braking burn will be done at perilune, pending a decision on whether Discovery will be routed to Brighton Beach or Earth directly. (Gives us options I guess)

Perilune will occur at 14/11/13 11:49:03 Universal Time

:hailprobe:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll be in the school bus going home by that time. So close ...
I guess if TMac doesn't pop up it'll be great to stay in LEO, waiting for a shuttle ...

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovery is going down to the Earth ! Meeting at 13/11 at 14:45 UTC ! (If only I could do a Big Red Timer thing, but I can't remember the [timer] thingy ...)
KuOfnZW.png

(Okay, this was just a bit GIMped ... :lol: )

Below, the scenario line, if you, Bruce, can handle the EOI. Else we will have some kind of "remote control" out of the EOI.

Attachments

• IHP_ToEOI.scn
    12.2 KB · Views: 3

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovery is going down to the Earth ! Meeting at 13/11 at 14:45 UTC ! (If only I could do a Big Red Timer thing, but I can't remember the [timer] thingy ...)
KuOfnZW.png

(Okay, this was just a bit GIMped ... :lol: )

Below, the scenario line, if you, Bruce, can handle the EOI. Else we will have some kind of "remote control" out of the EOI.

Ok, all loaded up, and the burn is going to be...

Roughly midnight here :facepalm:. Oh well, Id hate to break tradition on this :coffee:

6w25V3X.jpg

Solarliner, Im confused about what happened on your last MCC. Did our Perilune drift, or are we retargeted for a high Earth orbit insertion?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I aimed for a 1k km perilune to have some margin. I kinda messed up with BurnTime but I thought it'd only be few m/s of dV ...
I guess it could be a way to LOI as you proposed ... of recorrect the trajectory, up to you.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I aimed for a 1k km perilune to have some margin. I kinda messed up with BurnTime but I thought it'd only be few m/s of dV ...
I guess it could be a way to LOI as you proposed ... of recorrect the trajectory, up to you.

Unfortunately too late for that, we will just have to go with LEO. The DV to get back on a lunar intercept would be wasteful at this point. No real issue there though, might as well head straight home.

---------- Post added 11-14-13 at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was 11-13-13 at 23:37 ----------

Throttle up!

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, we obviously need to make some modifications to RTI's iron-man death rule. I do feel that I made it too harsh. But I would rather fix or replace it than repeal it;) Serious consequences for dying in a project help keep the stakes high, so that we have to use realistic safety procedures.

What I'm currently thinking about is compartmentalizing the projects--if you die in one, you are still welcome to work in it--you just can't fly or use an MMU. So I will remain in charge of the company, but stay grounded in IHP. Now Deep-6 and ALS are a different story;)

Other suggestions?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or we could just create a fictional character to play with after we die? Just an idea...

This can help for people who are as creative as me when it comes to creating a fictional name: fakenamegenerator.com

Maybe we could do something like a one month "ban" after killing a character, I think that's enough to keep the stake high.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
What about if our "great heroes who have passed on:p" use someone else's UMMU? (With their permission, of course;)) That way the project wouldn't REALLY be screwed unless EVERYBODY dies...

:hail:Defcon reference
:p

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I quite like the idea of "getting hired as another person" when you die. Another name, another life, sounds like a plan to keep everybody in the game (literally).