Iron Hill Project Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I think Solar2 is open...I could use an XR co-pilot. I suggest using A DG instead of the XR, since the capacity is 5, and there's 5 ground operators, also, it can land on an XPDR beacon, so a probe launched from the arrow could designate the target site, and one EI is complete (if mercury has an atmosphere i dont remember) the pilot can activate that feature

After finding out about the Arrow's inability to land in Mercury's gravity, I am planning to test two possible flight profiles:
1) Have Odyssey fly a very low eccentric orbit (250km x < 2km) over the crater and simply drop the cargo, then go back to apoapsis, release the Intrepid (XR-2) and have her carry the crew down.

2) Simply leave the Chronus (XR-5) docked to the Odyssey until insertion, then have her undock and take the cargo and crew down.

I'll test both profiles, though I think option 2 is more feasible because:
:)It saves need for another ship
:)It means Crothor's SAS addon is back:)
:)Option 1 would leave the cargo spread out over a roughly 30 km area, and we won't have any rovers for this mission because the Odyssey can't land. At that rate, I should delete the rover hangars and workshop from the base design.

But the ferry has to be a Vanguard, because only it has enough space for the cargo.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I think Solar2 is open...I could use an XR co-pilot. I suggest using A DG instead of the XR, since the capacity is 5, and there's 5 ground operators, also, it can land on an XPDR beacon, so a probe launched from the arrow could designate the target site, and one EI is complete (if mercury has an atmosphere i dont remember) the pilot can activate that feature

Current Positions:
Base Commander/Doctor: TMac3000 (though I would rather fly Odyssey. Does anyone else want this slot?)
Geology 1: Lydia
Geology 2: Mojoey (would you like to fly Chronus instead?)
Solar 1: Filipi1205
Solar 2: RickD

Odyssey Crew:
Commander:
Pilot:

Columbus Crew:
Commander:
Pilot:

Chronus Crew
Pilot: Lord Wasteland (welcome to the team, sir:salute: ) But the 5 is a different beast than the XR-2
Copilot:

Hermes Crew
Not open until we a crew for the Chronus

If Mojoey decides to fly Chronus, who wants Geo 2?

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I meant I could do both Geo2 and pilot, though I retract that due to the fact that it's not going to be an XR-2/DG-IV

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
you do know you can use the XR UCGO cargo adapter (by Woo482) for transporting up to 6 UCGO boxes...perfect for Loru's SSK

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I am ready Commander. I do request transfer for heading to the Mercury station. So will we be still using the Arrows or leaving the XR-2's and XR-5's? I assume Chronus will be carrying the second complement of crew for the base.

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
If I fly, possibly or a set of playbacks. Hopefully I can nail the interplanetary transfer. Last time, I tried to head to Mars, using a Venus transfer, but I wound up at Saturn with a dead crew... But that was once of out nine flights in the past month, so 11% chance of failure, I'm good with those odds.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Chronus is an XR-5

Odyssey=the Arrow carrying the first crew
Columbus=the Arrow carrying the second crew
Chronus=the crew/cargo ferry for the Arrows. She is an XR-5
Hermes=the backup ferry. She is also an XR-5

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
We're lofting 40 tons of cargo:) The hardware kind of has to be huge for that:p
Technically there's only one XR-5. The Hermes won't fly at all unless something happens to the Chronus.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Will there be screenshots?
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, there will indeed:thumbup:

---------- Post added 02-29-12 at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-28-12 at 09:21 PM ----------

If I fly, possibly or a set of playbacks. Hopefully I can nail the interplanetary transfer. Last time, I tried to head to Mars, using a Venus transfer, but I wound up at Saturn with a dead crew... But that was once of out nine flights in the past month, so 11% chance of failure, I'm good with those odds.

So are you wanting to fly an Arrow or an XR-5?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, slightly new plan
I propose a lunar mission, to depart on April 2. Lord Wasteland and his copilot will fly the Odyssey crew up to their ship, then return to the Cape. The Odyssey will then fly to Brighton Beach where "upgraded" hover engines will be installed. (I.E., you would stay on the moon for two days, and when you get ready to come home, tell me and I will post an edited config file for the Arrow:) )

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice! If you send to me a list of instruments to create, you'll get it on the OH in the next week... :cheers:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Now, let's see then, upgrading the engines would take mostly a bunch of computers. Also welding torches and the usual nuts and bolts. Maybe a "spacecraft repair/upgrade kit" of some sort?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes! I was talking about Mercury's instruments, but I can do it! :cheers: