Iron Hill Project Thread

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
sorry I wasn't there yesterday, i had left, and when I came back I fell asleep, without checking my various inboxes.

Tmac: Yes. Soil samples and some rather interesting rock formations

RickD

Reaction score
I am planning to enter Odyssey at 0400 UTC, April 24 (midnight on April 23 EDT) to load fuel and set the IMDF. Will be on the usual chat channel at that time.

Rick

RickD

Reaction score
Thanks to Mission Control, Odyssey has been fueled and IMFD set for Mercury.

Attachments

• The Iron Hill Project - Odyssey Fueled.scn
    27.5 KB · Views: 3

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Reentry was CRAZY.

The orbit was ~400x300. On deorbit ​​I put values close to those I use into a 300x300 orbit (reentry angle 0.1 degree higher). When I opened AerobrakeMFD and saw that the AOA for landing at KSC was 60 degrees, I thought "we're dead!"

I decided to try anyway, using S-turns (60 degrees banked to the left in most of the descent, actually ...). The temperature gauge got to hit the red, but fell soon after. To make things worse, I could not find the runway for some time :lol:. In the end I managed to land the craft safely and without damaging any parts.

We still have to taxi Chronus (in daylight is better...), but I don't know if there is enough fuel in tank. (Do we have a tug?)

Attachments

• The Iron Hill Project - Chronus landed.scn
    27.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Chronus playback.zip
    99 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
We could throw some Fuel Cargoes on Azure and run some fuel back and forth

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, I added some fuel to Chronus (via the lower panel:)) and taxied her back to runway 33. Also, I've begun the process of loading the Mercury cargo. Next flight is on the 29th, and this is the big one. On Sunday night, Chronus launches for the last time this year, and Tuesday morning we set out for Mercury:woohoo:

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
sorry, Tmac, But I'm apprehensive about giving out pics of myself, AKA, I am NOT giving a pic lol

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
That's the plan for the moment.

I've made some changes to the mission itinerary. This is in Post #362. From now on, team members will need to check that post periodically to stay caught up.

As the crater walls are miles high, I'd like to build some sort of chair lift system for exiting the crater. Maybe use the crew elevator mesh from the Vanguard? What do you guys think?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I know:) I was think of using the crew elevator mesh from the XR-5 to create a cable car that could take us over the wall...like a ski-lift:) Of course, we would have to climb the wall on foot first...

Looking into a launch window, I have found May 1 00:40 UTC. It gives a RInc of about 13*. What say the team?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Perfect. And May 1st is a holiday here! WOOHOO! :jiggy:

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

As I paused the work of the Cygnus, I can work on a new way of locomotion in the ground.

RickD

Reaction score
I know:) I was think of using the crew elevator mesh from the XR-5 to create a cable car that could take us over the wall...like a ski-lift:) Of course, we would have to climb the wall on foot first...

Looking into a launch window, I have found May 1 00:40 UTC. It gives a RInc of about 13*. What say the team?

Due to some evening commitments that week, I could not join a chat until 0300 UTC at the earliest. Don't let that stop you. As long as my ummu goes, I am there in spirit.

Rick