Question Is a precise atmospheric ballistic re-entry + vertical landing autopilot possible?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(by ballistic, I mean mostly ballistic with some lift. Capsules do generate some lift, which tends to lessen the G-forces experienced.)

Elon Musk of SpaceX fame once tweeted:
Elon Musk said:
Design completed for bringing rocket back to launchpad using only thrusters. Yay. Wings r just dead weight in space.
But for Orbiter, it seems that wings are necessary to have precision landings, because even if you are several kilometers off, you can glide to the runway.

With a ballistic capsule, however, you aren't able to do this yet (3:07), unless you are really, really skilled, because just a small change in attitude causes big changes in the projected landing coordinates (if you look at Aerobrake MFD). Re-entry with a winged spacecraft involves the same thing, but as I have just said, you can glide to the runway if you aren't spot-on.

It would be great if there was an landing autopilot that can land a capsule inside a landing ellipse that is only 0.001° in radius (3 significant figures is the maximum amount displayed by Aerobrake MFD), which is about 100 meters.

This would also mean that there can be a capsule in Orbiter that didn't have to splash down in the ocean or land in the middle of nowhere (which means no expensive recovery crews - although this is just a simulation and not real life).

Perhaps, the autopilot would have a re-entry corridor: initially, it would target an ellipse error of 0.1° (or 1°) in radius, but as the re-entry progressed, it would hone in, to 0.01°, then to 0.001°.

If the Mechjeb mod for Kerbal Space Program can do it, why can't an Orbiter MFD or built-in vessel autopilot do it?
(I might answer my own question with: the atmospheric/aerodynamics models are more complex in Orbiter)

This problem has been mentioned before:
Yes, I've always liked the VTOVL SSTO's (BETA is my favorite), but my experience with the Kankoh-Maru and SASSTO has soured me a bit on them for purposes of Orbiter. I've been meaning to try again, but not until I have a fully operable re-entry autopilot. Without that, there's no hope of landing on a landing pad, and it's a good day when you can merely set it down on dry land.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
MSL had a target of only 20 by 7 km, and that was on mars with a remote control, excuse me... self-controlled robot, I'm sure a crewed vessel, or at the very least, Earth orbiting spacecraft could do much better

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia15685.html#.U2BvI4nn_qA

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

I'm only mentioning the crew not because they would somehow manually out-pilot a guidance system, I'm mentioning the crew because of the extra care that seems to go into human-rated vehicles/missions.

And by "care" I mean money$€¥£¢£¥€$

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It is possible but quite difficult.

Even in a simulation where all the variables are known (an Orbiter addon for instance ;)) the computations can quickly get out of hand.

It's a solvable problem but if you CAN solve it you've basically hopped the border between amateur rocket science and professional, and really should be applying for a job at JPL or something.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Remember that you don't need wings for having lift. Rockets are pretty good shapes for having some aerodynamic control. Not as much as with wings, but enough for gliding controlled enough for getting close to the landing site.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I said that in the beginning, that capsules (implying non-winged vehicles) do in fact generate some lift.

Sure, but thats also the case in Orbiter, if you implement the lift function

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Sure, but thats also the case in Orbiter, if you implement the lift function

This ^

Unless you go through the effort to define cross-sections, and lift coefficients, Orbiter will just assume that your vessel is aerodynamically neutral. A uniform sphere of radius "GetSize ()"

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
In Vinka you can use the default "capsule" profile, which I assume has the expected properties