Is it possible to set up a free-fall scenario?

Gothmog

Reaction score
One of the most exciting features of Orbiter 2016 is the much more realistic and detailed planetary scenery. It's mainly for that reason that I would like to set up a "flight" which, with the Moon as the reference object, would begin just below the Earth-Moon neutral point, and my spacecraft would simply fall to the lunar surface. It wouldn't much matter what spacecraft I'd be using; I simply want to look out the forward window while it happens.

I do understand it's possible to set up any desired orbit for a spacecraft in flight, but how would I do this when there is supposed to be no surface velocity?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Well let's see. At the most basic level you could simply edit the scenario to place your spacecraft 200 km above the surface, set your relative velocity to 0.0, eccentricity to 1.0 and let gravity handle the rest.

However, if you actually want to start at the Earth/Moon neutral point, that's going to take a bit of math.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not only that, but the speeds would change as mission progressed. It'd would fall sure, but result in a crash instead of a landing.

Gothmog

Reaction score
Well let's see. At the most basic level you could simply edit the scenario to place your spacecraft 200 km above the surface, set your relative velocity to 0.0, eccentricity to 1.0 and let gravity handle the rest.
This is what I'm after. Intuitively I understand what needs to be done but but I wasn't sure how to fill in the blanks in the form.

However, if you actually want to start at the Earth/Moon neutral point, that's going to take a bit of math.

I wouldn't need to use the exact neutral point, but I would like to start higher than 200km. I assume the same principle would apply, as long as I'm definitely inside the lunar sphere of gravitational influence?

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Not only that, but the speeds would change as mission progressed. It'd would fall sure, but result in a crash instead of a landing.

A crash, like the Ranger missions, is indeed the goal at first. Later, by changing the parameters I'd like to simulate other trajectories, for example the one described in From The Earth To The Moon.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is what I'm after. Intuitively I understand what needs to be done but but I wasn't sure how to fill in the blanks in the form.
I wouldn't need to use the exact neutral point, but I would like to start higher than 200km. I assume the same principle would apply, as long as I'm definitely inside the lunar sphere of gravitational influence?

I have a new MFD in the works for exactly this (= Lagrange MFD). Release on a Tuesday, sometime.