Question Is orbiter.dansteph and orbiterfrancophone down or have problems ?

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I'm sorry to hear about the situation Dansteph. As a downloader of your work, although I rarely made a comment upon it myself at the best of times, I want you to know that your work is somewhat insperational and is of a very high standard. Personally, I have a high level of respect as a person for you because of your level of commitement and delivery to Orbiter's community and the sim's environment.

We are as downloaders, often over expectatious, greedy and unappriciative of anothers work in our requirements to "play" in the environment. Sometimes passing little thought to what another has given over in time, effort and cost by those who are dedicated, such as yourself. We are an ungrateful breed indeed. It would be a tragic loss to our community, if we lose developers like yourself.

I do want to thank you for your work, especially for the Arrow in perticular. I wish you well, and success in whatever you decide to do. :tiphat:

A sad day for us all today :(

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn capitalism!

Proximus

Reaction score
My best experiences with orbiter have come as a direct result of your hard work and talent Dan.

I will never forget the day I crash landed on the moon for the first time in a DGIV, and the resulting rescue mission mounted by the Arrow. :facepalm:

I knew that day I was forever hooked to this little simulator and in awe of its fantastic developers.

Thank you Sir :thumbup:

:hailprobe:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
The site is up again but only 24h so I can make a backup. (which is done yet
but I'll do another one at the last minute). It will be down again in a few hours.

For those that have a profile on dansteph.com it's time to update
your profile's email so you'll be able to get a new password on the new forum.
(The passwords are not kept in database and the hash are not the same on
both forum: your old password will not work)

I already bought a new space at infomaniak
http://www.infomaniak.com/?language=english

10 month for free (because of migration from another provider), then 120 euro per year instead of
840 and no worry anymore to maintain a server.

xprtz.gif

As forum I'll use Simple Machine Forum (skinned) and will migrate the old database
on the new forum (that'll be challenging I think)

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Thank you, dansteph.

About addons on orbiterfrancophon :

Orbiterfrancophon was written by another user which has left the community and it would be very time consuming to redo it on php 5. (He was a also new to php so the code is hard to correct)
I'll probably upload only 2-3 addons to orbithangars (the most recents) and give up with the other unless someone want to help.

Here is a screenshot of Francophone add-ons right now.

Perhaps this will be helpful for making sure everything is included, when add-ons get migrated. I have perhaps 80%

Last edited:

Cougar

Reaction score
Orbiter without Orbitersound, DeltaGlider IV, Ummu and UCGO wouldn´t be ORBITER.
Dan, you are essential for the whole project.
Thank you so much for your work!!!

Greetings
Rick

Furet

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the situation Dansteph. As a downloader of your work, although I rarely made a comment upon it myself at the best of times, I want you to know that your work is somewhat insperational and is of a very high standard. Personally, I have a high level of respect as a person for you because of your level of commitement and delivery to Orbiter's community and the sim's environment.

We are as downloaders, often over expectatious, greedy and unappriciative of anothers work in our requirements to "play" in the environment. Sometimes passing little thought to what another has given over in time, effort and cost by those who are dedicated, such as yourself. We are an ungrateful breed indeed. It would be a tragic loss to our community, if we lose developers like yourself.

I do want to thank you for your work, especially for the Arrow in perticular. I wish you well, and success in whatever you decide to do. :tiphat:

A sad day for us all today :(

I'm quoting PennyBlack because I could not write better.

Thank you Dan, whatever you do.

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I'm not really "leaving" I'll still promote and support the community (until the very end :) )

I had a sudden image of you with a space-shotgun, bravely taunting a million zombie-UMMUs coming towards your last lonely Inflatech tent. :lol:

Have a good break, and thanks for providing both a strong community and strong addons. :cheers:

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
I havn't still thanked you explicitly for your great work, Dan. So I'm doing it right now.

DGIV & OS (and later, UCGO) were what made me addicted to this great sim.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Dan, the DGIV was my first spacecraft in which I fell in love with Orbiter.

About a year ago, when I decided to make a simpit, your fantastic DGIV was the pit to make.

Thanks!!! :cheers:

joffrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

orbiter.dansteph's server is now offline, the 24h given for the backup were longer than expected.

When the website will be online again (I don't know when), it will be transformed into a brandnew one.

Dan, i just want to tell you "bon courage" :)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi Dan,

I haven't been active in the community much this year, but I would just like to express my gratitude and heart felt thanks for all of the time and effort you have put into your addons over the years. Orbiter most certainly would not be the same without your contributions. I've been enjoying your work with the UCGO addon just the other week when I completed another expedition to Jupiter and some of its moons I've never visited before. I look forward to another one to Saturn and Neptune.

I wish you the best of luck during these tough times and I hope we see more of your work in the future as you have the time and desire to work on new things.

Kindest regards,
Tex.

JSwift

Reaction score
Bonjour Dan

I'm pretty new to Orbiter having discovered it just before Christmas 2012 and for at least the first week I was under the impression that Orbiter was a product of both you and Martin. Needless to say I was very impressed when I realized OrbiterSound, UCGO, UMMU and DGIV were a freeware development contribution. I can't imagine Orbiter without them. I love the PreludeII base/vessel, have only recently brought the Arrow into service and I'm looking forward to learning the DGIV. I'm having a blast with everything!

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit unappreciated for your efforts. Although many may not post directly (myself included until now), the hype in the dev. threads and number of downloads would indicate a high level of interest and enjoyment. On behalf of the silent majority, 1000x thank you for these addons.

Merci bien! :cheers:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I wish you the best of luck during these tough times and I hope we see more of your work in the future as you have the time and desire to work on new things.

Much thanks to you Tex :cheers:

Bonjour Dan
threads and number of downloads would indicate a high level of interest and enjoyment. On behalf of the silent majority, 1000x thank you for these addons.

Yep, I know that my efforts are highly appreciated (And I thank you all for taking the time to write :cheers:),
but even when sticking to my positive attitude :lol: there is still some sort of disappointment to see that only
[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6191]1 people out of 60[/ame] make the effort to click "thanks".

This produces also a bad side effect, good work is no longer promoted as it deserves ;
No more articles on addons, only a few votes, reactions or advertisements.

I may be wrong but it seems to me it's not specific to Orbiter, there was a time 10-15 years ago when everyone was eager
to participate in communities, writing, creating, helping. Mass internet was new, it was a time of
discoveries and exchange. Internet has grown and the way people use it has changed. The overall quality
of creation have also highly improved, it's now more professional.

It's not that bad but since no one works without rewards I think we'll see less free quality production in the future.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Unless I'm wrong it seem to me it's not specific to Orbiter, there was a time 10-15 years ago when everyone wanted to participate to communities, writing, creating, helping. Mass internet was new, it was a time of discovering and exchange. Internet has growing and the way peoples use it has changed. The overall quality of creation have also highly improved, it's now more professional.

It's not that bad but as no one work without rewards I think we'll see less free quality production in the future.

I get exactly the same feelings, and also that they are not specific to Orbiter. I also feel slightly unappreciated. Although I do have nice fans here and some peoples first posts were Launch MFD bug reports, I do miss some technical discussions and real cooperation that makes addons grow together, instead of competing with each other. That's not to say that I'm totally disappointed by this community, but it has changed as everything. I think that the change has something to do with young people who used to be the productive part, as us before, is now focusing on social media and entertainment, while we have grown up so much that we don't see a point in pleasing growing demands for free. Especially that we already have jobs, that many times have resulted from showing off these free products to our employers, and still we get paid too little for our skills (me too, mate!). Therefore adult developers switch to paid products. As their user, I see no problem in buying something that eases my life and reduces my frustration. As a developer, money is something that helps you wash your tears away - if only 1 on 60 people that visited your paid product's site would have paid you some money, you'd be happy, or at least not disappointed. The money would also be enough to keep you focused on your product - you'd be happy because of it, as well as because you wouldn't have to listen to your stupid, uneducated boss, just to get some pennies, devoting your precious time to build his dream instead of your own.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Although I do have nice fans here and some peoples first posts were Launch MFD bug reports, I do miss some technical discussions and real cooperation that makes addons grow together, instead of competing with each other. That's not to say that I'm totally disappointed by this community, but it has changed as everything. I think that the change has something to do with young people who used to be the productive part, as us before, is now focusing on social media and entertainment, while we have grown up so much that we don't see a point in pleasing growing demands for free.

This I can whole-heartly agree with. In contrast to the past, today free and open-source software is often seen as "normal", or even a right of the user. Sometimes users even demand things from free software developers, because they see their bug reports as the most valuable contribution to the project (not to say that it is no contribution at all).

Especially that we already have jobs, that many times have resulted from showing off these free products to our employers, and still we get paid too little for our skills (me too, mate!). Therefore adult developers switch to paid products. As their user, I see no problem in buying something that eases my life and reduces my frustration. As a developer, money is something that helps you wash your tears away - if only 1 on 60 people that visited your paid product's site would have paid you some money, you'd be happy, or at least not disappointed. The money would also be enough to keep you focused on your product - you'd be happy because of it, as well as because you wouldn't have to listen to your stupid, uneducated boss, just to get some pennies, devoting your precious time to build his dream instead of your own.

Well, I guess my experience is very different in this regards. Working on hobby projects for free (and releasing and debugging it in a community) significantly raised my development skills to a level that management at work actually recognized on its own. It may not affect my salary that much, but certainly my job security.

I've got lucky - I suppose - to also have a boss that is neither stupid nor uneducated, so of course YMMV.

All in all, I can only say that the very moment Orbiter development gets a burden to me, I'll simply stop silently. If my work would be that much appreciated, people would ask for it again, and I would then explain my reasons for stopping it. Given that most of my work is open-sourced, anyway, I guess that it would get picked up silently in this case, too. Writing up a "warning" to users that the appreciation is not high enough for me to develop more of it would not be my style, though. After all I do it for a hobby and not for a revenue, whatever kind the later might be of.

That said, I can understand Dan's feelings very well, but I can only give him my single "thank you", as well as show my appreciation of his work by using his SDKs in my own projects.

my :2cents:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
All in all, I can only say that the very moment Orbiter development gets a burden to me, I'll simply stop silently.

I'm also not the one that will "go live", remove stuff and piss everyone, I hate peoples that burn what they loved
(as forum admin I've seen a few since ten years)
But at a time when you make popular addon you need sometime to explain why the promised addon
is still not released. Reactions (or lack of) can also help to finish or abandon stuffs. We are humain
it's all about communication and community.

I hope no one is mistaken about what I say, I'm absolutely not angry, maybe I'm just searching some
support and community friendliness so I can retrieve my full enthusiasm and finish stuffs.

Now with all the reactions I'm really enthusiast about the new site and new forum and about addons.
So thanks to all :tiphat:

Last edited: