Is this picture real?

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Came across this picture that was uploaded to Wikipedia. I think it looks like some sort of photoshop job, though. Can anyone tell if this is a real picture?

Columbia_a_motory_SRB.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a known fake. The SRBs are both a right-hand SRB (missing markings). and the smoke does not show any signs of supersonic speeds. Was created from the Endevour launch picture.

If you process the image a bit with gimp, you can even find the artefacts from editing.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A couple more things, the ET shows no signs of scorching and you wouldn't see the mach diamonds at that altitude. I'm sure there's more.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Columbia_filtered.jpg

After applying a Neon filter, which uses the same radius as the dominant JPG block size, you can see, which operations had been done with the images.

The original image was smaller and got extended in width (see the different noise pattern size at the sides)

The SRBs got cut away from the original image - you can see a tiny aura where both SRBs had initially been.

Also, you can see that the BSM smoke was painted onto the image, as it has really sharp contrasts.

I wish I could have one of the better filters here, instead of just doing my best to replicate the effect. There are new tools around which can show the changes much better and more accurate.

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Besides the fact that it obviously looks faked...

And besides Urwumpes rock solid editing proof... Here's some other off the wall proof.

To get this camera angle, the camera would have had to be located here, and the shuttle would have been 58.4km downrange... Would require quite the awesome telescope...

pointofviewmapcb6.jpg

Not to mention, we all know what real SRB sep looks like:
srbsetpgj6.jpg

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
That's what they want you to think. They actually don't separate! IT'S A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU! OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE TRUTH!

*Is dragged into black van by guys in suits*

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, look at the sun and shadows on the nose of the orbiter and on the SRBs. All wrong.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can see the flag waving in the wind, so it's obviously a fake :p

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, and where are all the stars?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would require quite the awesome telescope...

Even more important, a weather condition that does not exist in KSC: Extremely dry and cold air. Otherwise, even the best telescope would only see haze.