OHM ISV Pegasus V2.0

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: mr martian

Hey, I finally finished ISV Pegasus V2.0!

this is the seccond version of ISV Pegasus, a recreation of the mission from the BBC TV special, Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets.

This release contains the International Space Vehicle Pegasus, its five landers, its two autonomous robotic probes, detailed surface bases refueling tanks, virtual cockpits for ALL landers and manned craft, and Mission-specific cargos, such as a Mars rover

This addon requires that you have Dansteph's UMMU and UCGO installed.

Note: I would NOT recomend installing this addon into the same directory as ISV Pegasus V1.0 if installed!

this addon is FULLY D3D9 compatible.

it took me close to five solid months creating this, and another five meticulously perfecting it. I would really love it if you rated or commented! any feedback you have is much appreciated :)

This is an updated version of the one I released on 07.21.2014

please report any bugs

Enjoy! - MrMartian

DOWNLOAD

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Martian,I have been waiting for a long time for this addon to be updated,I appreciate your hard work.:cheers:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
thanks :) I am so sorry this addon took so much time to complete. there were quite a few hold ups. anyways I'm glad you like it :cheers:

Don't apologise. This is awesome - thank you!

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I was looking for this! Excellent mod. Though, I have a few things to report:

1. Any missions involving the Mars base camp will not load.
2. Nix and Hydra are invisible.
3. The coma of the comet won't work. The coma vessel is still present and the comet missions do load, but there's no visible particle effects coming from it.

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I was looking for this! Excellent mod. Though, I have a few things to report:

1. Any missions involving the Mars base camp will not load.
2. Nix and Hydra are invisible.
3. The coma of the comet won't work. The coma vessel is still present and the comet missions do load, but there's no visible particle effects coming from it.

Hmmm.. Not sure about those.. I suspect the base camp issue may be UMmu related. I'm out right now but I'll check those as soon as I get home

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hmmm.. Not sure about those.. I suspect the base camp issue may be UMmu related. I'm out right now but I'll check those as soon as I get home

there we go. I just updated the file: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=mr martian

If you dont want to download the whole thing again, just download the fix: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6598"]ISV Pegasus V2.0 - FIX[/ame]

I still dont see when you mean about the coma not working.. I tried it in a fresh version of OOrbiter, and it works fine... The coma does not appear for a while after it is created, maybe you simply didnt wait long enough for it to start 'smoking'

anyway I hope this helps.

Interceptor

Reaction score
After playing for awhile now the Pegasusv2.0 was well worth the wait,truly epic.:)

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

My only two nitpicks,about this is that it would be really cool if the engine cover,and the sun hatches were on separate switches,and your view from the cupola was upside down,along with the two mfds,but hey beggars,can't be choosers,thanks again thou.:thumbup:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Truly epic indeed. It's a very immersive addon and you have remained as close to the source material as possible. This addon is in a league of its own. Thank you very much for all your hard work.

Now I -as a trajectory nerd- have a bone to pick with you (and the show's creators of course).

I'll start with the show's creators first.
For something that is "based on science fact, not fiction", the trajectory is chosen mostly for dramatic effect and much less for scientific accuracy.

For example, there is absolutely NO reason to go from Mars to Jupiter via a close encounter with the Sun.
In the show they say "the fastest route is to flyby the Sun, to speed up Pegasus up to 300 km/s, bla..bla...".
What a crock of ...
If anything, that kind of trajectory almost doubles the dV requirement, compared to a Mars→Jupiter trajectory with the perihelion at Mars' distance from the Sun. It would even be cheaper to stay on Mars longer and make the leg to Jupiter that much faster. Total Mars arrival-Jupiter arrival time would stay the same for less dV.

On the other hand, dropping to the Sun would make a lot of sense on the Saturn→Pluto leg of the journey, where such a maneuver would cut ~35% of the (huge) dV requirement, in order to make that leg of the journey in 633 days.
Even more savings, if you could combine a burn at perihelion (which isn't possible if the shield/engines have to point at the Sun).

Anyway, given the outrageous trajectory requirements of the journey, I 've noticed a couple of discrepencies in your scenarios.
Here is a table of the show's journey legs/transit/wait times (in days):

LEG​
|TRANSIT|STAY|
NOTES​

Earth→Venus|
40​
|
14​
|-

Venus→Mars|
77​
|
20​
|-

Mars→Jupiter|
274​
|
6?​
| unclear, deduced from the other legs

Jupiter→Saturn|
300?​
|
8?​
| same as above

Saturn→Pluto|
633​
|
30​
|-

Pluto→Comet|
628​
|
3​
|-

Comet→Earth|
208​
|-|-
Total journey days 2241, which agrees with this, at the end of the show:
vttp_zps795b3960.jpg

In your scenarios we have this table:
LEG​
|TRANSIT|STAY|
NOTES​

Earth→Venus|
20​
|
0.5​
|-

Venus→Mars|
287.3​
|
14.2​
|-

Mars→Jupiter|
|
5​
| arrival before the departure from Mars

Jupiter→Saturn|
593​
|
14​
|-

Saturn→Pluto|
634​
|
13.3​
|-

Pluto→Comet|
|
3​
|arrival before the departure from Pluto

Comet→Earth|
308​
|-|-
Total journey days, including the "negative" ones: 1778.1

Extreme nitpicking, I know. It's just that it would be nice to be able to complete the journey in one continuous -and very epic- session.

I'll try to work out a trajectory as close to the source material as possible and send you the scenarios. Unfortunately, Orbiter time during the weekdays is very limited, but I should have them ready by the end of the weekend.

Again, thanks for this amazing addon
:tiphat:

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I'll try to work out a trajectory as close to the source material as possible and send you the scenarios. Unfortunately, Orbiter time during the weekdays is very limited, but I should have them ready by the end of the weekend.

Again, thanks for this amazing addon
:tiphat:

Oh would you? That would be ao kind! :) I am aware of the dodgy scenario dates.. I would have found it easy if I had an exact date that Pegasus left Earth, instead i had to find a rough date when the Sol system 'looked like' the way it does in the film. Also i recycled allot of the scenarios from the V1.0 release, and i didnt pay much attention to the dates... Nevertheless, it is entirely possible to complete the mission in 'one epic haul' I merely included alot of these scenarios so that users could play specific segments of the mission that they pleased, and so inexperienced users could play without needing to travel from planet to planet... But if you do get the time to make some scenarios I would really appreciate it! :)

- MrMartian

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a question , why you used this VC for Pegasus? VC is same space shuttle VC with with some modifications. Anyway is super :)

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 ----------

Is a problem? Everytime when I start a scenario , payload bay 1 open.

Interceptor

Reaction score
HI Mr martian,I want to reports some bugs,1 RMS arms won't attach to the refueling tank,I press A,and then shift keypad0,and select attach,and nothing happens,and 2.when I use the scenario editor to empty the Pegasus fuel tanks it always says 200 in the top left corner fuel amount,but it is empty in the scenario editor,3.I am getting some kind of UCGO car error In the left bottom corner of the screen when using the Ares rover something about a bad mesh,and vertexes,or something to that effect.Thanks

Last edited:

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I have a question , why you used this VC for Pegasus? VC is same space shuttle VC with with some modifications. Anyway is super :)

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 ----------

Is a problem? Everytime when I start a scenario , payload bay 1 open.

I actually made the VC from scratch, i only used one of the atlantis cockpit textures i think for the chairs? I cant quite rember. I'm not sure abaout the bay one opening.. Which scenario is it? I think one or two it its supposed to open.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

HI Mr martian,I want to reports some bugs,1 RMS arms won't attach to the refueling tank,I press A,and then shift keypad0,and select attach,and nothing happens,and 2.when I use the scenario editor to empty the Pegasus fuel tanks it always says 200 in the top left corner fuel amount,but it is empty in the scenario editor,3.I am getting some kind of UCGO car error In the left bottom corner of the screen when using the Ares rover something about a bad mesh,and vertexes,or something to that effect.Thanks

I have no idea what the UCGO error is.. I tried many times to fix it, and I'm sorry i just couldnt, I'm afraid you're just going to have to ignore it. As for the RMS ussue I'm not sure but I will investigate when i get home tomorrow. The refueling issue may have somethig to do with the refueling tank, the way I coded it, pegusus just refuels when in range of the tank (this means you technically don't have to attatch to the tank to refuel) if you are tring to empy the tanks when in range of the hydro tank, they will just refill again..

Interceptor

Reaction score
HI Mr Martian,no problem,thanks for looking into this,BTW you could ask on the forum about the UCGO error,and how to fix it somebody here has to have an answer.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is an incredible add-on. Thanks for all your work! I've never seen the BBC show, but you've inspired me to add it to my Netflix queue. Thanks again!

EDIT: Netflix unnecessary. It's available (in somewhat low resolution) here:
Part 1

Part 2

Last edited:

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mr.Martian , I resolved after reinstallation of Orbiter 2010..