Discussion It's not like riding a bicycle!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That's definitely true. I'm lucky; I do a lot of programming (not in C++ tho) for my job, so that keeps me sharp.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's definitely true. I'm lucky; I do a lot of programming (not in C++ tho) for my job, so that keeps me sharp.

I did not do any C++ at work since 2013 or so (Only C99 until some years ago). Orbiter is my primary way to keep the skills alive. Especially now, that I am slowly stopping active development at work and more and more shift towards project management.

I once thought that C++ does not see rapid changes and revolutions, but I was pretty wrong so far. CMake changed a lot there, just like VcPkg solved many problems for the windows world that Linux developers already solved with older tools.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Getting back into modding, and suddenly discovering I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO USE ANY OF THESE TOOLS!
I don't realize why solving such problem is compared to a cycle riding. ?‍♂️

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
I don't realize why solving such problem is compared to a cycle riding. ?‍♂️
There is an expression in English (at least in America, I don't know about anywhere else) that "X is just like riding a bicycle" meaning that "X" is a skill that you never completely forget.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Oh, I realised what @JonnyBGoode meant. Add-on development is something that can be easily forgotten. Frankly, scenario editing by using a text editor is like riding a cycle.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In the same situation. I tried to get back into addon/C++ .dll development earlier this year, stripping the old UMMU and UCGO code from the EAS Cortez and just compiling it as-is. I couldn't even get the compiler to work right. I ran out of patience and time, but I'm trying again, well, er, I'm trying to get started trying again....